Sulzer Kit

Rate this topic

robbieb

I'm just wondering. I know they all spent some time in black - or most of them anyway; but did any (in the sixties, of course) get the yellow end panels that was on some A and C class?

I don't recall seeing any like this - I'm pretty sure none did, but I could be wrong.

The A class had yellow ends alright, Barry Carse's book shows this, but in all my research on the Sulzer project, nope, no yellow ends.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very disappointed with the mods here

A bit of banter and out comes the big strap

No one was complaining and its great to see a lively bit of crack on the site

But Oh No, we must talk about the different shades of grey on non existent locos and what colour brown to put on our H Vans

Lighten up for Jebus sake, its nearly Christmas

But Oh No, we must talk about the different shades of grey on non existent locos and what colour brown to put on our H Vans

Lighten up for Jebus sake, its nearly Christmas

No one was complaining? My inbox says otherwise, Dave.

But Oh No, we must talk about the different shades of grey on non existent locos and what color brown to put on our H Vans

Lighten up for JeSus sake, its nearly Christmas

sounds like the GSR era all over again!

Pure boring. the GSR battleship grey was a dark shade of grey,all locos exept the 800s were completly grey exept the buffer beam,the wagon grey was significantly lighter, but just as boring...:facepalm:

Actually, if the mods will forgive one slight divergence from the thread, there was a good reason why dull colours and dark shades were favoured by railway companies in the past.

First, grey and black paint were cheaper. Secondly, how long would an orange-roofed coach or a silver-grey ICR stay clean, let alone a raspberry ripple DD coach, with a steam engine up front, and larger stations full of them?

Actually, if the mods will forgive one slight divergence from the thread, there was a good reason why dull colours and dark shades were favoured by railway companies in the past.

First, grey and black paint were cheaper. Secondly, how long would an orange-roofed coach or a silver-grey ICR stay clean, let alone a raspberry ripple DD coach, with a steam engine up front, and larger stations full of them?

Did the GSR ever wash their coaches John?

GSR, you're scarier still. The CEO of the 400 class Mafia!

The GSR actually kept their carriages very well, as did most railway companies back then. However, that meant washing, not always repainting! Often paint on carriages was badly faded and worn before they saw a paintbrush again. The constantly poverty-stricken SLNCR was probably an extreme case!

GSR, you're scarier still. The CEO of the 400 class Mafia!

The GSR actually kept their carriages very well, as did most railway companies back then. However, that meant washing, not always repainting! Often paint on carriages was badly faded and worn before they saw a paintbrush again. The constantly poverty-stricken SLNCR was probably an extreme case!

Vhat are you talking about 400 class beumont? Youd think by now you would know im i commited 800 man! Get im boys!

Ye will never find me, Harry. I didn't say WHAT part of the IRRS I'd be in.....

Well John you might be waiting a while anyway, getting a 70 year, 100 ton locomotive steamed up will take a while, getting out of cultra would be another,.. go to the shops for some coal and water(Ballygowan of course) might run in to whitehead as well to borrow a few snail transfers...would ye stay there till Monday? you wouldnt be that hard to find..

.....- roughly what's the cost of the Sulzer body PLUS a suitable chassis (class 55, for example)?

Assume Des will charge 75 Euro (about £54) for his "new run" body moulding.

A new Class 55 power bogie is about 44.7 Euro (£32.44), and a used one is 27.3 Euro (about £27), whilst an unpowered one is 32.4 Euro (£23.52) if you pick the current Railroad one, or 8.26 Euro (£6) if you pick the Lima one

Full list of available spares here

Edited by Horsetan

Folks,

to reiterate, I am looking at another donor at the moment (central motor and diecast body). I need to finalise kitbashing suitability.

If appropriate, the kit, the donor and post would be c. €150.

So far, the donor's bogies fit the Sulzer side frames like a glove. More anon.

Folks,

To update you, I've just completed kit-bashing the new donor chassis and it is looking very positive. The body sits well on it and the work required to convert it for the Sulzer requires just two hacksaw cuts and a single drilling.

I will post further once it is ready for presentation.

Suffice to say that I will be selling this as a full package, price to be finalised, but will be less than €155 all in, including postage (Irish rates, UK will be €1.50 more).

Edited by Weshty

Folks,

To update you, I've just completed kit-bashing the new donor chassis and it is looking very positive. The body sits well on it and the work required to convert it for the Sulzer requires just two hacksaw cuts and a single drilling.

I will post further once it is ready for presentation.

Suffice to say that I will be selling this as a full package, price to be finalised, but will be less than €155 all in, including postage (Irish rates, UK will be €1.50 more).

Des,

Could this also be a potential donor chassis for the A Class kit?

(Apologies if this is slightly off topic and SSM does'nt produce the A class. Just a general query.)

Edited by irishthump

Des,

Could this also be a potential donor chassis for the A Class kit?

(Apologies if this is slightly off topic and SSM does'nt produce the A class. Just a general query.)

The A class has a wider wheel base, so not suitable, and not on my radar at the moment.