Ashburton Grove.

Rate this topic

Nice photos' date=' Noel! :) Any chance of a look at the fiddle yard? Are the lower and upper levels connected or are they completely separate?[/quote'] Here you go Patrick.... The lower and upper levels are not connected,but I may make an attempt to connect them in the future. Thanks gents for your comments. image-341836133.jpg

Thanks to driver301 who built this M class expressway bus a few years ago-I knew it would come in handy one day...

image-1377183565.jpg

M class 100IK negotiates the narrow roads at Ashburton grove on a Ballina-London'Supabus'service,the tractor driver turned into the field shortly after this photo was taken...!!!

Edited by ttc0169

• 5 months later...
You can't beat BR blue . . . :)

Agree, especially with a rake of blue/grey mk2. Bachmann Class 37s in original BR blue livery with later generation chassis with operating lights have been difficult to source on eBay. The Class 37 has had an amazingly varied and extended working life in so many different liveries starting with BR green hauling maroon ex-LMS and ex-GWR stock.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image-560585357.jpg

A lunchtime arrival at Ashburton Grove's up loop, Class 20-20 063 arrives with a trip working consisting of four oil tanks for use at the factory sidings, after running round the tanks it will propel them to the discharging point.

Edited by ttc0169

image-831294203.jpg

A class108 passes on the mainline with a Leeds-Doncaster local service, while 20063 shunts the tanks into position for unloading, after uncoupling the loco will operate light engine to the MPD for servicing.

Edited by ttc0169
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a great start to 2018 when 56 070 failed at the factory sidings, 08 672 is seen here hauling the failed 56 to the MPD for attention,

Later on the 08 returned to shunt the wagons from the factory sidings to the loop in preparation for the two class 20s to work the train forward.

In the meantime a HST screams by with the up Highland Chieftain. 

IMG_E2250.JPG

IMG_E2251.JPG

IMG_E2253.JPG

IMG_E2255.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I see that CIE have managed to provide a cross-channel service to the area, via Expressway bus!

Funnily enough the first time I saw a Bus Eireann coach (complete with Red Setter logo was in London 😁. Another bizarre moment was passing a Lough Swilly Transport tractor and trailer unit on the M6 in the West Midlands, for a moment I though the LLSR had gone into cross-channel haulage.

CIE/Bus Eireann used UK based contractors to operate services to and from London and other destinations in the UK. At one stage the coaches bore Bus Eireann branding. 

I remember reading somewhere years and years ago that CIE buses could sometimes be seen in Britain (particularly London) in lieu of CIE Tours buses. 

Which is exactly what the scenes above look like!

I saw a LLSR artic in Dublin in the late 1970s. It carried a number on the trailer like a wagon number; their bus conductors were still known as “guards”, and the tractor unit of the lorry was in the dark green carried by erstwhile locomotives. It looked like a throwback to the past. 

They can’t have had many trucks on the road, as they tended to hire them in from CIE.

I travelled on several Lough Swilly bus services in the ‘70s. I regret not going up to Derry a few years ago to get one of the last ones.

jhb171Senior footplated one of the big tender locos into Burtonport back in the day; I was never able to achieve THAT!!

• Like 1

Lough Swilly Transport Ltd seems to have offered direct road freight services between Donegal and the UK. The company appears to have operated between 1983&2004 and had a registered office in Dublin and may not have had a connection with the LLSR.

The Lough Swilly Transport tractor and covered trailer were fairly modern and looked like they were set up for logistics work, possibly for line haul work for parcels traffic between Donegal and major centers in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1