Ashburton Grove.

Rate this topic

Good evening lads,

With thanks to Wayne and the guys at Wexford MRC,I was able to purchase the Ashburton Grove N gauge layout,

I was impressed with its operation at the recent exhibition and as the layout had been for sale I decided to buy it,

This is my first venture into the N Gauge market but I have driver301 to thank for his inspirational N Gauge layouts namely Wellington bheag,Carlow and currently Connolly Stn,

I intend this layout to be in the BR blue era-1970s-late 1980s-my first purchase being a blue/grey HST.

image-1515406674.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! well done, Noel. I always liked the BR blue era.

Looking at the scenery, it wouldn't be difficult to make it "Irish" too - given an accumulation of the right sort of stock. At that scale, one might better get away with repaints of BR things if pursuing that route.

My first experience of BR was that very interesting period when steam was only finished some 18 months and all manner of weird types of diesel locos and railcars - as well as the odd wooden dining car - was still operating. Locos could be green or blue, carriages maroon or blue / grey. I was just turned 13; life was good..... as was a North Wales lineside holiday in an ex-LNWR camping coach!

Good evening lads,

With thanks to Wayne and the guys at Wexford MRC,I was able to purchase the Ashburton Grove N gauge layout,

I was impressed with its operation at the recent exhibition and as the layout had been for sale I decided to buy it,

This is my first venture into the N Gauge market but I have driver301 to thank for his inspirational N Gauge layouts namely Wellington bheag,Carlow and currently Connolly Stn,

I intend this layout to be in the BR blue era-1970s-late 1980s-my first purchase being a blue/grey HST.

[ATTACH]23718[/ATTACH]

Many congratulations on your purchase. Have many hours of fun playing with, working on and exhibiting your layout. Loads of excellent N-gauge models to tempt you with Graham-Farish among the best upgrading their stock all the time with detail, lights etc. e.g. The Brighton Belle was issued in BR blue/grey...

Thanks lads for your comments-it's much appreciated, At the moment I'm familiarising myself with the layout,which I'm enjoying, My first purchase was the iconic blue/grey HST, Here is a staged shot of it passing the freight depot and down loop-a five piece formation as I'm waiting for a TGS and buffet car to complete the rake. image-795767496.jpg

Thank you gentlemen,

Another view of the HST at speed on the up fast line passing an empty MPD and goods yard,

The plan is to have an 08 shunting the yard while some passenger and freight will be passing on the main lines with some loco movements taking place in the MPD.

image-1049316207.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Looks great.I love the 47 with large logo (I have one "preserved" on Llangollen' date=' well thats my excuse).[/quote']

Thanks Gerry,

The HST set has also been increased with the inclusion of a dining car-3rd coach from the front.

image-2004468859.jpg

It's looking great!

One thing that becomes obvious looking at those photos is the amount of quality RTR N gauge stock that's available to the UK scene modeller....

The N-gauge quality now available is amazing with directional lights and lighted destination boards on DEMUs, locos with lights and high quality coaches from Mk1 to Mk4s...

Looks really well Noel. N gauge really suits modern image with long scale length trains and gentle track bends that look authentic. That iconic HST 125 set brings back happy memories during the 80s travelling frequently from Paddington to Temple Meads.