Glengarriff + my former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic

Its a Tank engine and therefore carries its water in the saddle tank and coal in the bunker behind the cab rather than having a separate tender. Looking at the instructions (I don't use DCC) there is space in the boiler to fit a chip which will need to be cold wired, OO Works do not provide this service. I notice that whilst the loco comes with a 12 month guarantee for manufacturing faults fitting a DCC chip also voids the guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was tempted, summoned all my strengths but failed. Should arrive next week, I will report my happiness factor. PSSSST there seems to be only 1 green one left and 2 grey ones. Mind the stampede!!!!!    Just to say I have no connection with 00 Works except as a customer

Mick 

:trains:

• Like 4

My happiness factor is very high! In the hand said green 0-6-0t looks much better than photographs and it weighs enough to pull more wagons than I will ever need. My only puzzlement is what is the small hole in the front top of the saddle tank? Its an odd place for a washout plug. I shall contact 00works.

Some more progress on the bridges board.

After I had built the original baseboards I decided to push the bridges board back a few inches so that the radius of the curve from Five Bridges station could be increased. This has introduced a 'kink' in the back drop, now filled in, which will be hidden by trees in due course.

2021-04-11 (1).JPG

2021-04-11 (5).JPG

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Some more progress on the bridges board.

After I had built the original baseboards I decided to push the bridges board back a few inches so that the radius of the curve from Five Bridges station could be increased. This has introduced a 'kink' in the back drop, now filled in, which will be hidden by trees in due course.

2021-04-11 (1).JPG

2021-04-11 (5).JPG

Love the old road bridge on the left. How did you make that up?

The stone buttresses are a good detail - I know a bridge just like that on a very rural road in Co. Mayo, which is believed to be almost 300 years old.

On 21/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mike 84C said:

I was tempted, summoned all my strengths but failed. Should arrive next week, I will report my happiness factor. PSSSST there seems to be only 1 green one left and 2 grey ones. Mind the stampede!!!!!    Just to say I have no connection with 00 Works except as a customer

Mick 

Meant to ask earlier - is there room for a DCC chip in those locos?

On 28/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, Irishswissernie said:

. This is the road bridge at Four Masters under construction. This will form the backdrop to the girder railway viaduct which is planned to have an open deck hence it will have to be built before any tracklaying on the extension from Glengarriff can be laid

DSC06834.JPG

DSC06840.JPG

Described in this post from Feb. The prototype was damaged in a flood a few years ago and Donegal County Council advertised on the net for tenders to re-construct it. They also posted scale drawings showing the work to be done which were roughly followed so the dimensions are fairly accurate although if the prototype had been re-built to the same standard as my handiwork thenthe Council Building Inspectors  wouldn't have been very happy!

On 20/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Its a Tank engine and therefore carries its water in the saddle tank and coal in the bunker behind the cab rather than having a separate tender. Looking at the instructions (I don't use DCC) there is space in the boiler to fit a chip which will need to be cold wired, OO Works do not provide this service. I notice that whilst the loco comes with a 12 month guarantee for manufacturing faults fitting a DCC chip also voids the guarantee.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

On 21/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mike 84C said:

Mick 

Now the CBSCR green one is sold out, and probably only one GSR grey one left.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

He is still listing 4 on E Bay 2 each of grey 472 & 475 but I would contact 00 Works direct to try and avoid Vat duplication etc or have them  deliver to a UK address.

Yes, I've actually just emailed him!

I am in the lucky position of having a bona fide address in the UK (Wales) as well as here...... I can get stuff delivered to either.

• Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having spent the last few weeks identifying and annotating 2000 negs, not much progress to report on Four Masters although I have completed the basic plaster work and work has commenced this week on the Drowes River Grain Company Warehouse which will disguise the right hand exit to the fiddle yard etc. This is a fairly complicated plastikard structure which is situated at an angle next to the backdrop but at least the windows will all be just wooden boards so no sashes etc to be made. There will be a sack hoist to the 3 floors to be added next.

2021-05-04 Four Masters Mill (1).JPG

2021-05-04 Four Masters Mill (3).JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, StevieB said:

I expect there’s a good reason why B131 is running bonnet first.

Stephen

Propelling wagons into the Mill siding. I just missed the train arriving from Ballyshannon and managed to catch a view of the loco on the bridge as it reversed in to the siding with the 3 wagons.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2