Rate this topic

Kirley

Ok, I can see them now. Flux capacitor wasn't plugged in. Very tidy work K. What's the plan with the windows? Brass overlays or leave them as is? R.

R, you've put an idea into my head - have you a link to window overlays, I've seen them somewhere but can't remember where?

I seem to be spending all my time filling, sanding, priming and then starting the whole process over again.

Anyway here is the results so far.

IMG_0733.JPG

Two Intermediates and a Driving Trailer

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

I eventually had a go at the front Cab knowing this would make or break this build.

IMG_0732.JPG

Hopefully I have captured the look but if you think otherwise please say as things can be modified at this stage.

Great job on the power car Kieran,I think you have captured the look very well.Good job with the intermediate coaches also,they too look the part.Just one point with the driving trailer that you might want to have a look at.The drivers window should be a bit larger.The top of the window should be about level with the side cantrail and a bit higher than the drivers side window.I know you have 35 years of NIR,have a look at the close up shot of the driving trailer on page 80,that will give you a good guide.

Kirley would it be possible to see the power car side on? To me the cab front looks a little pointy in that photo?

I think you might have "a point" UP6963 I find it hard to get the nose angle right.

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

It looks like I may have to re profile it.

IMG_0741.JPG

Thanks Alex for the correction on the Driver's window size. "There's none so blind as those who cannot see"

IMG_0738.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tracked down the builder of the Maroon/blue Class 80

Class80.jpg

and he was able to give me some good advice on the front profile of the Power Car, i.e. the top has a 10% tilt and the bottom is perpendicular.

So it was out with the saw again.

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

While it was hard to saw into an almost completed model I must admit it was the right decision and I am more content with the profile now.

As I've often said before, as have others, it's attention to detail like this which makes an already good model absolutely top notch.

For some reason, most models I've ever seen of 80s tend not to be the most convincing. But this is (as is the other painted one you showed) and it's especially good to see how it evolved out of ruthless chopping and butchery of old Mk 2's.

Now all you need is a crowd of cider-fuelled yahoos sitting inside on their way back from a Saturday festival in Portrush, or a football match in Portadown!