Rate this topic

Kirley

Just thinking, Heirflick; when painted cream, rather than orange, I think (but can't be certain) that at least some had black chassis - I did see at least one with a standard brown chassis and cream bubble, but even at the time I remember thinking that this was an aberration....

The one and only class of wagon I can think of offhand which all, without fail, had black chassis, were the NCC "brown vans", throughout all their livery changes.

The CIE "roundel" on grey bubbles was like on "H" vans - tan surround, white lettering. Other lettering was white. Orange "bubbles" had black writing and roundel.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I picked up a two car Class 80 set and often wondered who built it? I tracked it back from the seller to someone on this site but neither knew who the Modeller was.

When I saw 33Lima putting up his work of a Class 80 build on the Site I thought I had solved my puzzle but no, Ivor said it was not his work and also ruled out Shane McQuillan who did an article on a Class 80 build in Practical Model Railways in 1984, so the mystery continues.

Class80.jpg

I had in the back of my mind to build a Trailer Standard coach for this set and spurred on by 33Lima's excellent post I decided to have a go. After a trawl in the dark recess of my roof space I came across three Hornby Mark II's and a Hornby BSK so I ended up starting a Trailer and a new three Car Set.

I started on the two Trailers closely following 33Lima's work but my cutting is not as accurate.

IMG_0667.jpg

The most striking feature on these coaches is the centre doors with a wide space on either side before you come to windows. So I started there and worked my way out to the ends.

IMG_0674.jpg

Next came the Driving Trailer which has the same centre door spacing but a different window layout.

IMG_0683.jpg

I still have to do the end (driver's window) but need to let the glue in the sides set first before taking a slice off the coach end.

IMG_0686.jpg

I left the most difficult one to the end, the Power Car and am still working on the first side. 15 separate cuts were needed to get to this stage.

Having a MIR Class 80 is a great help in working out distances.

IMG_0689.jpg

It's not going to be a quick project.

A few years ago I picked up a two car Class 80 set and often wondered who built it? I tracked it back from the seller to someone on this site but neither knew who the Modeller was.

When I saw 33Lima putting up his work of a Class 80 build on the Site I thought I had solved my puzzle but no, Ivor said it was not his work and also ruled out Shane McQuillan who did an article on a Class 80 build in Practical Model Railways in 1984, so the mystery continues.

Class80.jpg

I had in the back of my mind to build a Trailer Standard coach for this set and spurred on by 33Lima's excellent post I decided to have a go. After a trawl in the dark recess of my roof space I came across three Hornby Mark II's and a Hornby BSK so I ended up starting a Trailer and a new three Car Set.

I started on the two Trailers closely following 33Lima's work but my cutting is not as accurate

The most striking feature on these coaches is the centre doors with a wide space on either side before you come to windows. So I started there and worked my way out to the ends.

Next came the Driving Trailer which has the same centre door spacing but a different window layout.

I still have to do the end (driver's window) but need to let the glue in the sides set first before taking a slice off the coach end.

I left the most difficult one to the end, the Power Car and am still working on the first side. 15 separate cuts were needed to get to this stage.

Having a MIR Class 80 is a great help in working out distances.

Kieran-great start with the 80 class build,looks like it is going to be a lot of hard work,but I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

With regards your photo of the 2 car 80 class,I have a photo of what looks to be the same 80 class set from 2007.If I get a chance I will pm you the photo over the weekend and if you think they are one in the same then I would have a name for the builder of it.I dont know him personally,but ironically,he was from your neck of the woods-Bangor.

With regards your photo of the 2 car 80 class,I have a photo of what looks to be the same 80 class set from 2007.If I get a chance I will pm you the photo over the weekend and if you think they are one in the same then I would have a name for the builder of it.I dont know him personally,but ironically,he was from your neck of the woods-Bangor.

Thanks Andy, it would be great to solve the mystery, looking forward to hearing from you.

Awesome, where can I get 2 power cars?

Tony.

Your only chance to get a Power Car/ Driving Trailer or a 3 Car set is by building one, if you look at 33lima's excellent thread on building a Class 80 (see Workbench 2nd page) and follow his work, that's what I'm doing.

Did all the intermediates have doors?

(looking at attachment.php?attachmentid=8180&d=1374316705

All the original intermediates for the 80 class had the middle doors,however,when the GMs took over the NIR Enterprise duties in1981 with a new batch of coaches,some of the original Enterprise coaches that ran behind the Hunslet's were converted to 80 class intermediates and these did not have the centre doors.The shots of the 2 class 80 intermediate coaches that you posted in your earlier post,while being well painted,are wrong as they only have 7 windows which were what the old first class coach had and these were not converted to run with the 80 class.The standard opens with 8 windows were the only type converted,a Lima SO second class coach can be picked up quite cheap and re painted to give an authentic intermediate coach from the early 80s onwards.

The Class 80s all had centre doors on the intermediate trailers as delivered. I used to dislike sitting in those seats as you looked out through a little window in the door and a blank panel either side; also people getting in and out tripped over your feet...they were usually the last seats to fill, along with the middle seat in 3+2 layout.

However, during their long life a number of ex "Enterprise" trailers ran with them and these did not have intermediate doors. By the time the NIR intercity livery was in use, some definitely ran in this configuration; no doubt someone will know the exact numbers of the sets/coaches but it is a VERY complicated business, as these formations were not really "permanent"..

Colm

Work continues on the Class 80 set. The difficult nose section having a dry fitting.

IMG_0702.JPG

Hope I’ve got the angle right.

IMG_0703.JPG

The Driving Trailer and two Intermediate Trailers with fillers added and rough sanding completed.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

I'll do another sanding with wet & dry before the first primer coat.