Rate this topic

Kirley

Hi Kieran I was on to the guy that sold me the a class and he is going onto the web to find what model was used.I cannot take it apart because it seems to be glued so hope the loco never brakes down.I sent you my e.mail address so if you contact me I have it pulling 12 coaches at a very low speed.i cannot up load videos on the site

Looks like the bogies of a DB BR151 electric loco to me, probably an old Roco model http://www.haertle.de/Modelleisenbahn/Spur+H0/Lokomotiven+Spur+H0/ESU+31031+E+Lok+BR+151+080+blau+beige+Engineering+Edition+AC+DC+Spur+H0.html

While it would be super smooth runner the bogies and wheelbase would be way off. The whitemetal body of the Q kit would add sufficient weight (coupled with the all wheel drive) to help it be a super hauler compared to a resisn shell of the Silver Fox kit with a Hornby motor bogie.

Looks like the bogies of a DB BR151 electric loco to me, probably an old Roco model http://www.haertle.de/Modelleisenbahn/Spur+H0/Lokomotiven+Spur+H0/ESU+31031+E+Lok+BR+151+080+blau+beige+Engineering+Edition+AC+DC+Spur+H0.html

While it would be super smooth runner the bogies and wheelbase would be way off. The whitemetal body of the Q kit would add sufficient weight (coupled with the all wheel drive) to help it be a super hauler compared to a resisn shell of the Silver Fox kit with a Hornby motor bogie.

Would you have any suggestions on an American Chassis that would come close to being suitable for an A Class?

Funnily enough I will be exploring/researching that particular avenue in the next week or so for someone. Will report back!

I used the truck and guts from the old Athearn SD9 to motorise an MIR whitemetal A Class, really powerful loco good at demolishing wagons and buffer stops. I basically built a fame out of Ks Brass strip and brass section. I managed to shorten the Athearn drive enough to fit in an Class by re-moving one of the flywheels & used the drive from a GP35 in a MIR 141 class.

I am not sure if anyone produces a HO RSD11 but has similar unequal truck centres and maybe short enough for an A Class.

The Proto 2000 SD & GP drives are more up to date direct copy of the Athearn.

I used the truck and guts from the old Athearn SD9 to motorise an MIR whitemetal A Class, really powerful loco good at demolishing wagons and buffer stops. I basically built a fame out of Ks Brass strip and brass section. I managed to shorten the Athearn drive enough to fit in an Class by re-moving one of the flywheels & used the drive from a GP35 in a MIR 141 class.

I am not sure if anyone produces a HO RSD11 but has similar unequal truck centres and maybe short enough for an A Class.

The Proto 2000 SD & GP drives are more up to date direct copy of the Athearn.

Interesting John, I have a few SD9s myself but as you say they dont have the uneven axle spacing. An Alco PA might work if you're not bothered about axle spacing and feel comfortable making up your own chassis. Has a commonwealth bogie which isn't a million miles away from the A Class bogie in looks (looks better than the ones sliverfox do anyway in my eyes.)

Did you mean RSD15? Broadway do them but as they can be a bit pricey as the do all their models with sound as far as I know and the sound chips cannot be re-blown. Has the uneven axle spacing mind you.

Still experimenting on ways to get my two new A Class loco's to pull a rake of coaches up my steepest incline.

I added a block of weight to A7 and it seems to have got rid of the slippage at the summit of the incline.

The video below also shows 045 with an even larger weigh on the front bogie but still having difficulties at the summit.

Watch to see what difference the change to Marklin traction tyres and judge for yourself.

I weighted my locomotives and found the A7 to be 494g, 045 to be 449g compared to a Murphy's 071 at 502g.

Hopefully getting there.

Found this 2009 entry in RM Web on an alternative motor for an A Class.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8105

He employed the SB Modellbau method which uses "the quite excellent Swiss-made Maxon motor and flywheel on a new solid brass base with gearing (also in brass) driving all three axles".

However the thread was not complete so you don't know how things worked out. It looks an interesting (and expensive) option.

He employed the SB Modellbau method which uses "the quite excellent Swiss-made Maxon motor and flywheel on a new solid brass base with gearing (also in brass) driving all three axles".

However the thread was not complete so you don't know how things worked out. It looks an interesting (and expensive) option.

I believe the poster is one of the mods here... ;)

Hi Kirley, that's me! The reason the thread didn't continue is that I gave up on the Silverfox bodies when I couldn't get the cabs to look right.

You're right, it's an expensive option. In fact, I hadn't intended on getting the motor at that point... I was exploring the possibility and contacted SB Modellbau to see if any of their products suited a Lima Class 31 chassis. They weren't sure, so they asked if I could send it over for them to measure. The next thing I know, I got an email saying the motor was installed and would I please send on the money! :P

I've only tested it on level track, but it's a lovely smooth runner, and quiet too... it glides along! And the brass motor bogie is robust, to say the least. I believe the Maxon motor installed in it is also used in surgical instruments.

If you want, I can post it up to you so you can test it for yourself...

I've only tested it on level track, but it's a lovely smooth runner, and quiet too... it glides along! And the brass motor bogie is robust, to say the least. I believe the Maxon motor installed in it is also used in surgical instruments.

If you want, I can post it up to you so you can test it for yourself...

Any chance of a video of it in action? It would be nice to have a fall back option that works. I'll PM re your kind offer.

I've got two Silver Fox A Class kits for Christmas and I recently obtained a Silver Fox C Class kit as well.

Most of my time on this project has been put into the modifications of the A Class chassis but as the detailing kits from SSM arrived I thought I better start work on the bodies.

The A Class detailing kits were fine and as I have used them before it was straight forward gluing them to the resin body.

However when I started on the C Class I realised the main grills were too large for the C Class so I had to cut them to fit.

IMG_3277.jpg

I had to cut one side of the surround and glue the remainder moving the diagonal bar down to the new corner.

IMG_3279.jpg

They turned out OK.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

Out of the bath and drying prior to priming.

IMG_3286.jpg

It's nice to see a bit of colour at last.

IMG_3290.jpg

My quest for a smooth running chassis for an A Class led me to South Down and Anthony kindly took some pictures of his Hornby Class 55 chassis modified to fit an A class body but having two power bogies. So it can be done, looking forward to seeing in run sometime.

AClasstwinpowerbogies2.jpg

AClasstwinpowerbogies.jpg

Back again on my quest to get an A Class fitted with a Hornby Class 55 chassis to "run like a Bachmann/ Murphy Models Locomotives".

Anthony had come up with a unique suggestion of fitting two power bogies and had actually done the conversion. I had the pleasure of seeing it last week pull up a rake of coaches up an helix without a hitch and his demonstration convinced me this was the way to go.

I obtained another Hornby X9775 Class 55 Deltic Motor Drive Unit Bogie and Underframe Chassis.

The motors obviously had to be wired in reverse and so it was time for a test drive.

I'm a great believer in pictures telling the best story so here is a short video.

Thanks again to Anthony for a great solution.