Rate this topic

Kirley

• 2 weeks later...

In my gather up of locomotives over the years I always meant to attach the accessories that came with a new model and to lightly weather it.

Weathering2.jpg

At last I got around to it and adapted the centre section of the layout to be a temporary paint shop allowing me sufficient room to stack the locomotives and lightly weather them.

Weathering3.jpg

Weathering4.jpg

Weathering5.jpg

Weathering6.jpg

Weathering7.jpg

Weathering8.jpg

Weathering9.jpg

Have to keep doing something even if this glorious weather keeps you outside.

Very basic job painting Dapol Workman Figures. There's quite a difference after adding a bit of paint to these figures.

RailwayWorkmen1.jpg

RailwayWorkmen2.jpg

RailwayWorkmen3.jpg

Now all I have to do is remove the plastic bases and drill holes in legs to accept a thin wire to hold the figure on the layout.

Nice painting! What brand of paint do you use?

Also, do Dapol make modern image (ie high viz alround) style workers, as i am thinking of adding a little track gang to my layout?

Anthony is right about Modern Image, Bachmann are the ones to go for. However for an earlier era the Dapol are worth a go. The paints I used was what ever I gathered up over the years and it's a mixture of enamel and acrylics. I first gave them a coat of Halfords grey primer and then did a light wash of well thinned black. After drying period I applied the colours.

I’ve start work on making Ballast Wagons following Hidden-Agenda’s excellent Tutorial.

Gareth has provided a list of items needed, where to get them, diagrams with all the measurements in mm or .5 mm as well as photographs of the various steps.

BallastWagon1.jpg

I used the sharp edges of my gauge to mark of the measurements, it made things so easy, I set to the gauge to, in this case, 6 mm and you can mark the length of the styrene sheet.

BallastWagon3.jpg

The cutting out was the easy bit, now for sticking it together.

Ballast Wagons -Assembling the Bodies.

As I suspected the cutting out was the easy bit. Assembling the bodies means getting each corner true to 90 degrees which for my clumsy fingers was not easy. The first body I did can be seen on the extreme right of the picture and will testify to how to get the angles wrong.

IMG_2356.jpg

For the rest, when I was putting the four sides together, having bent the plastic card inwards, I used the floor as a template to work too and placed the body on top of it. That made it easier for me to get the angles right.

IMG_2357.jpg

Now I'm at the filling/sanding stage which needs to be taken carefully and with patience - and again that will test me.

Those containers are very convincing, and I like the weathering a lot.

Your ballast wagons are very convincing too.

It looks as though you may have a motive power shortage though.:tumbsup:

Is each NIR 111 actually a different length or is it just an optical effect? The sky blue version looks distinctly longer.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Third photo in that batch. Good god! :drool:

Yup, seriously atmospheric, looks like the inchicore barrier line, but with GM's.

Great job on the pocket wagons, transfers and brass sides came out very well ;)

But the cardboard Norfolk Line 45's are just the Dogz Nuts. Now formally on my "to get" list.

Oh and well done on the hoppers, I don't doubt a LOT of work there.

Lovely work, the old Airfix Lomac and JCB 3C were excellent models thankfully Dapol did a re-run. These wagons may have been used to deliver new equipment, there is footage of a down Burma Road goods complete with Lomac & Massey Ferguson digger shunting at Kiltimagh in one of the Markle Associates irish videos.

Lovely work, the old Airfix Lomac and JCB 3C were excellent models thankfully Dapol did a re-run. These wagons may have been used to deliver new equipment, there is footage of a down Burma Road goods complete with Lomac & Massey Ferguson digger shunting at Kiltimagh in one of the Markle Associates irish videos.

The JCB and low loader were from the same original Airfix mould.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Lowmac.htm

But Dapol did the smart thing when they bought the moulds and sold the loader and the JCB seperately.

Thanks John, must look that up.
Its a great clip in the days when railway men wore a uniform suit, the shunter stands out wearing his early 70s Saturday night disco dancing purple elephant flared suit as cuts wagons out of the train. Hopefully Dapol have a suitable figure.

Its a great clip in the days when railway men wore a uniform suit, the shunter stands out wearing his early 70s Saturday night disco dancing purple elephant flared suit as cuts wagons out of the train. Hopefully Dapol have a suitable figure.

Surreal, and sums up just how weird the 70's were. A strange melange of pop-era and residual Victoriana.

Only for the fact that I lived through the period, I'd hardly believe it.