My 7mm scale 1950s workbench

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Thanks ! Not a job to rush - each one needs put on with a knife point. If you use too much glue the ‘bolt’ dissolves, if too little it falls off...

Having said that, at lunchtime yesterday I hadn’t even started this project so it’s perhaps progressing faster than I think...

Edited by Galteemore

Good thing about the bigger scales you can deal with individual bolts etc, I was thinking along similar lines with rivets, only using pin heads with a short length of cut down pin remaining, hole drilled, and stuck in, would make locating them a bit easier maybe..

Grandt Line do packs of individual rivets (in strips and various sizes). However, having tried both these and the plasticard squares method, I prefer the latter, not least because you need to drill holes for the Grandt Line ones, so it takes twice as long!

Haven't tried the transfer rivets, but they sound promising. As for the Sligo van - certainly looks good to me.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Ah now we get into the detail, so! Because as I’ve learned, bolt heads and rivets are different beasts, requiring different techniques.

For actual rivets one can emboss in plasticard or brass using a rivet tool - like either of these...

CEAFF678-1E31-43A6-BE20-5275E17BA3BD.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

I like the look of that press tool, tho I bet they're fairly expensive!.. As to rivets and bolts, it depends, if something was bolted up using 'coach' bolts, the heads are round and look just like rivets ( I've used loads of these in real life!) that's assuming fitted with the heads are on the outside. regular bolts of course are going to have square or hex heads !

Nuts & rivets can also be done with the 'Nutter' a very handy tool for pressing out nuts & rivets in lead sheet for sticking on to your model;-

925068774_FSO-128IMAG2688.jpg.0a457baa5806e8e3596786a09d5e7918.jpg

661301923_FSO-129IMAG2690.jpg.7967dee172856bb1c92b7ff3c4f7792c.jpg

and the above rivets added to door straps

1353047493_FSO-131IMAG2693.jpg.f14c94a3aefe9ef2fa4e4d5a46a2ca05.jpg

The tool comes with tools of your scale choice and different scale tools are supplied separately.

Eoin

Eoin

• Like 5

I have done the Archers rivets route on a 4mm scale tender, looks good but my, was it boring to do and not as quick as you might think.  Get it sealed and painted a.s.a.p. when finished retire with a stiff drink!     But its horses for courses; I will use them again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

That looks interesting, Eoin. Where might we get one, perchance, please?

Hi @David Holman

I got it on the Scale Model Shop website;- https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/?s=nutter

But looks like it's out of stock at the moment!  Have a look at their other tools though- very handy stuff on here....

Eoin

2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

when finished retire with a stiff drink!   

Hi @Mike 84C

That's the problem with rivets- drives one to drink

Eoin

Almost finished but the last few bits I need are back in GB. In the lower picture, it’s 0700 on an Irish summer morning in 1957 and van no 32 waits on a siding for collection on the 0630 ex Sligo goods....it’s quite nice I’ve got to this stage before we leave Ireland and head home,  as I can show my mother the wagon later- she travelled on the SLNCR as a child...:) 

74CED0FB-2908-40C4-B85B-FDD37B9BA5A2.jpeg

FC699825-5F61-4A34-B95E-E0A25C266ECD.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 3

^ like the man said !

..also with weathering you can always add a bit more to it, that's what happens in real life !   I got one if those really really cheap airbrush sets from evil bay not long ago, the type with everything in it 'compressor' and all...now, I had to fiddle with it to even get it going, but it's great for adding a bit of dust and muck and even looked pretty realistic with my crude attempts! Might be worth looking at one of these for your stuff...anyway your wagons are brilliant mate!..👍 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, finally something to post after many weeks of occasional modelling interrupted by other stuff. It’s  my first ever scratch built structure so loads of mistakes but I’m reasonably happy for a first attempt.....a few finishing touches to add still. Since posting the images, I’ve toned down the mould effect on the render a bit to make it slightly more subtle... also included is a pic of the inspiration! It’s not a 100% accurate model of Dromahair - there are tiny bits of Florencecourt too such as the prominent stonework on the join between the main building and the outhouses. Some of the details are rather obscure in photos so some parts of the build are taken from my grandparents’  farmhouse! They are both buried in Dromahair and the farmhouse (which was up the line near Lisgorman  halt) was of similar layout to the station....  

2A8EBEC5-FA83-4C76-8CE7-381CBFF174AC.jpeg

E384EB40-135D-4E85-8175-B0AFA711E9E0.jpeg

7F580759-7DDC-4D9E-9127-BACECCDA45E6.jpeg

49DE0E82-9BF7-421C-A0AC-968BF010B719.jpeg

8EA2FC15-6ECA-497A-B22A-428DA49EF00B.jpeg

49DF12D4-5C82-49ED-A0AC-E981AB9F6E01.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 7