My 7mm scale 1950s workbench

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Fine work and all the better for being hand crafted and not something simply bought off a shelf. Nothing wrong with the latter of course, there is some lovely stuff out there that clever, talented people are relying on us buying from time to time. Equally, when scratch and kitbuilding, we are supporting a small army of suppliers who also deserve attention too and the results are just as satisfying. Long may both sides of our hobby prosper!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the big gaps in the 7mm market is the humble brake van. Alphagraphix do a SLNCR one but there’s nothing from the main lines. So when I needed a CIE brake van I had to make one from drawings. So here’s a glimpse before she goes into primer...it’s an MGWR prototype. Plasticard body and chassis. Handrails 0.7mm brass wire. Slaters wheels and brake blocks. Invertrain axleboxes - thankfully the steps hide the Caledonian Railway markings! GWR buffers from Northants Model Supplies. Worst bit was fabricating the steps and brackets from bits of brass. A painful few hours of soldering....

2F562B13-8D80-47B6-93CB-A6FF0FA2A604.jpeg

0C4116AF-D26B-4708-B693-DE4CD1FAD15F.jpeg

E6C5496F-BAF7-414D-BD64-3F32F35718D0.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

That's as good as REAL!

Excellent job. While logos, lettering and numerals were often actual white when applied, virtually 2 or 3 outings had them off-white. Thus, pure white anything on a model never looks realistic. What you have done is super-realistic! 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

An interesting prototype to choose - I wonder when the last of them ran!

Very few pre-standard-CIE guards vans lasted after 1962/3, due to the closures of rural lines and the great output by Inchicore of the new 20T and 30T vans from the mid-50s onwards.

I'm unaware of any definitive information as to when the last Midland van was withdrawn, though I'm unaware of any being in traffic after maybe the late 50s. CIE had perhaps as few as 2 or 3 GNR vans in use after they inherited them in 1958 until 1963/4. They also had several ex-GSWR vans in use until the mid or late 1960s.

DSER vans appear to have been very long gone by these times. There was one Timoleague van, I think No. 5 of theirs, in use at least occasionally until the West Cork closed in 1961. It looked a bit like a normal goods van but with a door at one end.

• Like 1

I have a Herbert Richards photo of a very decrepit looking MGWR 20t van stored/dumped at Liffey Junction possibly from the early 60s.

The MGWR vans with raised cupolas and drovers compartments seem to have been withdrawn in GSR days.

Leaf fall is just about finished though track and rolling stock maintenance on the garden railway will keep me busy getting ready for the next operating session/running day in about 3 weeks time

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks everyone - and the dates are reassuring as the line will be running on a mid-50s scenario! 

Remember, as a Midland van, it’ll have “M” after its number.....!

Ex GSWR - number only

Ex DSER - D after number

Ex MGWR - M after number

Ex Bandon - B after number

Many others too. C for West Clare, T for T&D, L on the C & L, etc.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

An interesting prototype to choose - I wonder when the last of them ran!

Very few pre-standard-CIE guards vans lasted after 1962/3, due to the closures of rural lines and the great output by Inchicore of the new 20T and 30T vans from the mid-50s onwards.

I'm unaware of any definitive information as to when the last Midland van was withdrawn, though I'm unaware of any being in traffic after maybe the late 50s. CIE had perhaps as few as 2 or 3 GNR vans in use after they inherited them in 1958 until 1963/4. They also had several ex-GSWR vans in use until the mid or late 1960s.

DSER vans appear to have been very long gone by these times. There was one Timoleague van, I think No. 5 of theirs, in use at least occasionally until the West Cork closed in 1961. It looked a bit like a normal goods van but with a door at one end.

• 3 weeks later...

Going postal....my first ever scratch built coach. I should really have gone for something simple. But no - it had to be a TPO for some reason. In fairness, the drawing did look simple. But then I saw a pic in Des Coakham’s book - and my prototype still had all the TPO bag and bracket gubbins which would have to be cobbled together .....😫Almost done now - just lower footboards to fabricate from brass, and I can prime her. Built from Alphagraphix drawing using  David Jenkinson’s principles from ‘carriage building made easy’. More pics when the painting’s done....

3DC98487-23E2-40E0-951E-D4CC32FE879F.jpeg

5661D74C-1615-45FC-91B7-CDDDEF5A6A09.jpeg

9FA52C3D-2940-4404-B1CB-5BCCDA4AA4D1.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 7

A few sneak peeks through the windows of the TPO interior before the roof goes on  and all goes dark -  toilet compartment  and sorting rack....the daggers on the window bars are of course mail bag hooks...

7BD97F69-18E2-4C7F-B1AE-FA77BD0A2DB3.jpeg

9A7B33A6-3A49-4527-9218-804B1D8EDCD2.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6

Not sure if I meant the varnish to come out like this ...but I’ll try to live with it! Looks rather apt for an ancient vehicle at the end of its career. That’s what I keep telling myself...Roof and windows still to be fitted. I may get her done tomorrow.

20FA4E36-2ACD-4C31-874F-F0856158686C.jpeg

8B101CB4-7F34-4976-8F5D-7DB69136AEA6.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

And that’s about it. Just the couplings to fit. Despite the decrepit appearance there’s mailbags in the windows so all ready for attachment to the Sligo mail tonight !  Also attached are some pics of the original in GSR days.

B0CA9431-4DCC-4370-AEBE-2501C7865D40.jpeg

12E60E27-4C5D-4517-A218-01E8F1384947.jpeg

DEFDC653-3D20-408B-9FD5-F1D1A69476E5.jpeg

553ACBD5-EFC2-405E-B277-FE4E956F3B32.jpeg

187EBD8F-EC5B-4D58-AABE-C8270346A815.jpeg

7E5130BB-DEA9-4FB2-B39A-CA9850F207DD.jpeg

899E4B01-430C-4129-8806-EBFFF772C586.jpeg

5DD58150-14C2-4264-9425-065666F33475.jpeg

67A72759-C3B8-4234-B86B-F96EA7C04305.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a suitably shabby appearance indeed! Postal vehicles rarely seemed to be at the top of the queue when men with paintbrushes were about!

I have an old Hornby coach which with a bit of alteration will look like one of the last pair of WLWR brake 3rds. I have painted it a flattish green to make it look like the earlier dark green turning as shabby as yours. The green looks right for this, but I am not sure how to go about adding the "eau-de-nil" lining to match the faded shabbiness - indeed, this lighter shade on a badly-weathered coach seemed to fade even more than the dark green.

I had thought of approaching a manufacturer of lining to make a batch of "weathered" lining, but probably too much effort and expense for too little use. I will eventually have no more than two or three vehicles that i would want to look as worn as that.

• Thanks 1

Possibly, yes..... I recall seeing coaches in scrap lines. The green was by now a flattish shade - hard to describe. The lighter green was by this stage showing a greenish creamy colour, rather than white as such. Maybe some sort of creamy colour..... I'll experiment with paints at some stage. 

I also seem to remember that if really worn, it showed as streaky, like the paint was washing off to show the darker colour underneath.

On my first visit to Inchicore (mid 60s?) I wish I'd had a camera... there was all sorts of stuff about in scrap lines...!

Martyn Welch very much shows the way to go in his Weathering book. Put on the base colours first - wood/primer/rust/darker original etc -  then gradually rub back to reveal once dried. Glass fibre pencil, fine wetndry, T-Cut or whatever. That simulates actual wear. It should only be dirt that goes on top and rust comes through from underneath.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...