My 7mm scale 1950s workbench

Rate this topic

Galteemore

On 4/30/2020 at 10:36 PM, Galteemore said:

A small but frustrating model is done. The humble platform barrow. This one consisted of some 17 separate parts. It has collapsed on numerous occasions during the build but seems to be holding up now....all part of my quest to replicate the platform as seen at Dromahair, a typical 50s SLNC station....

FF948E46-AC21-4DB9-A61A-6DA6DDD8639F.jpeg

D7F2D7F3-D7AD-41F6-A09C-86DCAA173131.jpeg

As usual, your attention to detail is top notch. Maybe a little frustrating to build, but that scene proves it was well worth the effort.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It’s been quiet on the Galteemore workbench of late. Well actually it hasn’t. There have been screams of anguished rage as chunks of metal fail to cooperate. A machine tool from Germany, inbound this week, will hopefully allow me to progress that particular project to the extent that I can share it. I really don’t want to talk about it right now! 

Pending the arrival of mechanical aid from the land of beer and sausages, I have endeavoured to do something at least. A Sligo Leitrim saloon brake has had the panel layers cut and prepared.

594D0A0E-03D1-4B84-A064-A084A6100C8D.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

Superb, Galteemore! Just right for SLNCR. It was one of the last 6-wheelers in regular use, getting a decent repaint as late as the early 50s, by which time paintbrushes had become foreign objects in all areas of the SLNCR, from signal posts to carriages!

It seems to have been a very cheap-and-nasty job, though, possibly with no proper preparation of the surfaces, as by closure the coach was in an abominable state cosmetically.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Thanks 1

Bit more progress on No 4. The ‘box’ that comprises the main structure (the panelled sides will be stuck on as an overlay)  is done, as is the chassis. Last year I built a TPO which went ok but I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the finish. And its running gear involves some £30 worth of brass and steel - it needs to earn its keep! So last night the TPO was grounded and the  rolling chassis (compensated Alphagraphix) transferred over. I also had to cannibalise the brake gear a bit as SLNC coaches only had brakes on the middle wheels and one end...

78931714-872A-47EA-B633-D1B5D94C7C44.jpeg

8D58880C-233A-4FBA-B96D-7678E67D1F19.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5

This was meant to be a quick fill in project but I think we are finally done after 3 weeks!

R W Sparks’ 1920s rebuild of 6w saloon No 4 awaits her loco in the evening sun....loads of mistakes made and lessons learned. It’s not perfect by any means.  But for a first effort at an SLNC coach I am not completely disheartened. The real No 4 makes an appearance in an @Irishswissernie shot ..seen here at Enniskillen.

This one also made it behind the platform - echoing how the SLNC 6w were stored at Manorhamilton, and where the real no 4 spent much of her last years.

19D85934-B65A-4C86-A39B-B54E86172456.jpeg

DF00A1C2-F724-4F3B-A435-92FFDD7BCC26.jpeg

30441DEF-FEA8-49AA-9387-483F8A0D2F0B.jpeg

C45E4BF4-A2E2-424E-9B2B-E8ECE1E82C3E.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 10

Cheers MM. They are Methfix transfers from the Historical Model Railway Society - 1920s Southern Railway. The labels such as ‘guard’ and ‘third‘ are straightforward. But producing ‘SLNC’ means cutting out individual letters from the  ‘Southern Railway’ carriage transfers. There is if course, no letter C in that phrase. So I took the letter ‘o’ and sliced a chunk out. It was a fiddly job...

• Like 3

You say it may not be perfect David, but it has the look - that almost indefinable something of proportion and colour which says it is right. Placed in the setting of Rosses Point, which also has all these qualities, then it all adds up to very fine modelling!

Already looking forward to seeing what comes next.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:32 PM, Galteemore said:

This was meant to be a quick fill in project but I think we are finally done after 3 weeks!

R W Sparks’ 1920s rebuild of 6w saloon No 4 awaits her loco in the evening sun....loads of mistakes made and lessons learned. It’s not perfect by any means.  But for a first effort at an SLNC coach I am not completely disheartened. The real No 4 makes an appearance in an @Irishswissernie shot ..seen here at Enniskillen.

This one also made it behind the platform - echoing how the SLNC 6w were stored at Manorhamilton, and where the real no 4 spent much of her last years.

19D85934-B65A-4C86-A39B-B54E86172456.jpeg

DF00A1C2-F724-4F3B-A435-92FFDD7BCC26.jpeg

30441DEF-FEA8-49AA-9387-483F8A0D2F0B.jpeg

C45E4BF4-A2E2-424E-9B2B-E8ECE1E82C3E.jpeg

Not my era of interest, but it's fantastic work. Always enjoy your updates. Top notch modelling.  

Edited by JasonB
  • Thanks 1

Long story short, @David Holman! I have recently made my first small steps in metal scratchbuilding  as opposed to plastic work. I quickly discovered that the Archimedes drill does not cut nickel silver sheet quickly or efficiently! I discovered that many modellers use a small pillar drill. I’d fought shy of this before as I thought it would be bulky and not really of much value to my needs. This one is ideal though - it’s a Proxxon TBM220 with compound table. It’s already proved its worth. As for the new project, I’ll hopefully be able to post an update this week.

BF8EC419-AC8D-40A8-AF1E-F6B75E654CB1.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Long post tonight  ....complete with a lengthy introduction......

On the first Friday of October 1957, the shed staff at Sligo turned out to a man as a train of wagons pulled off the goods branch, and  stood in tribute as the Sligo Leitrim passed by into history. For this was the last steam working over the line, recovering the last oddments of stock on ‘foreign’ metals. As the last wagons passed slowly by, chalked on the brake van could be seen the words ‘The Very End. Goodbye‘. As the train gathered pace on the main line, the housewives of Treacy Avenue ran into their back gardens waving dishcloths in farewell. After a very brief halt at Dromahair, the sad cavalcade negotiated the treacherous check-railed s bend near Lisgorman for the last time. Given that it was October, there’s a fair chance my grandfather was out on the river, less than a mile away, fishing and would have heard the loco working hard .....

The loco in question was ‘Enniskillen’ - apparently the best loco mechanically at the end, having been given a major overhaul at Dundalk in 56. At journey’s end, she joined the two Lough class tanks in the GN shed at her namesake town. For a year the locos slumbered, growing a little dingier each month as the weeds grew up outside. As the world outside moved on - the microchip was invented, Pizza Hut was launched, and the Beatles (known as the Quarrymen then) made their first record, the ladies slept on.

For the Lough tanks, a handsome prince in the (very) unlikely shape of the UTA came to the rescue. Not so ‘Enniskillen’. The bang of the auctioneer’s gavel had barely died away before she was hauled the bare few yards outside the shed and rapidly dismembered. JJ Smith was on hand to record the final moments....

‘Get on with it!’,  I hear you say. Very well.

When I abandoned RTR modelling last year, and jumped into this, the phrase ‘build the 7:20 mixed’ advanced with ill deserved confidence into my consciousness. I have built a coach and some wagons towards that end but a large steamy object is also required.

So for about a year I have been slowly accumulating the drawings, tools, and fittings to model this - in my opinion at least - archetypal SLNC loco. After many false starts and rending of garments, we have made sufficient progress to break cover. An early problem was the coupling rod issue. I thought I was being clever by asking a model engineering firm to make me a set. Despite my advice, they were made to dead scale, which will not work with finescale flanges (the spacing on SLNC rear drivers is such that you could clip your toenails with them). So I had to make my own. Each rod has ten separate parts of metal soldered together....I also had to learn how to use a piercing saw and a pillar drill. And lots more besides, not to mention making my own drawings. As another scratch builder put it, one is basically making up ones own kit as you go along.

What has helped immensely is a chassis jig which basically uses the rods as a datum point for soldering the axle bearings. Pretty handy when you have six bearings and two chassis sides that need to be in perfect alignment with one another. Hopefully the jig will iron out builder error...and thankfully it seems to have done so.

Tonight the chassis was assembled. Amazingly, it ran first time. Loads to do, and updates will have long gaps between them. But progress is being made. 

PS - the rods are red because SLNC rods were red when freshly shopped. And it means I don’t lose them in the pile of nickel silver offcuts on the bench! 

CADE2EEA-996C-4557-B588-2CAAC3B48D0C.jpeg

65E268D3-FA8E-4A43-AA6E-C2668444DAD7.jpeg

83D50C68-53FE-4398-89CA-4CB27F42CCAA.jpeg

A4B1278B-54D1-4DC1-A0B1-1A6AFE9D058B.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8
  • WOW! 1

Hi Galteemore, great progress there! I find it is always good to have a connection with the loco you are building, it feels more personal then.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Angus

Edited by Angus
  • Thanks 1