My 7mm scale 1950s workbench

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Just now, leslie10646 said:

I have to agree, with David, David (think about it, the wording is correct!). I like clean model locos too and if you look below, they CAN be authentic!

How do you explain this photo of your loco months before closure

238625977_C22GlenfarneLocoEnniskillencopy.thumb.jpeg.7b0e01209b527d91c8248cfd5f88dd10.jpeg

At Glenfarne, taken by the late Lance King, Copyright IRRS

It had just had its regular cleaning. Come rain or shine, it got one every 22 years throughout its life. Next would have been due in 1978.

• Funny 3

21 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I have to agree, with David, David (think about it, the wording is correct!). I like clean model locos too and if you look below, they CAN be authentic!

How do you explain this photo of your loco months before closure

238625977_C22GlenfarneLocoEnniskillencopy.thumb.jpeg.7b0e01209b527d91c8248cfd5f88dd10.jpeg

At Glenfarne, taken by the late Lance King, Copyright IRRS

PS The building looks great.

Ok Leslie - I’ll take the bait! Clean engines have their place- like a fully lined out MGW one..

Enniskillen looks lovely, and I suspect this is not long after her last shopping at Dundalk. However, Bob Clements’ photos on the very last day show Enniskillen rather dirty, as seen also in these cine stills of her last revenue working on 30 Sep 57 . Should I ever finish ‘Blacklion’, she will be in gleaming black, though ! Anyway, I don’t think my Enniskillen looks completely unloved! ;) 

66099ADF-EB76-4773-BC00-32011D7019FD.png

72285F2A-58FB-447B-8B25-A629FAA68827.png

BEC145CE-E4C1-4297-BE00-B77A048B9C00.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6

There is that picture of Lissadell, albeit some time out of traffic, where there seems to be more rust and dirt than paint!

Perhaps because my memories of steam are from the early 60s onwards ( and especially 66 onwards), I rarely saw a clean loco. I also think that it is not easy to make a convincing job of a clean black loco - especially a shiny one. Gloss finish looks too much to my eyes, while almost as soon as a loco begins work, then a patina of dirt and dust is inevitable, which on a model gives all important texture and contrast to an overall black finish. Indeed, there is little if any black in the photo of the prototype above, just many shades of grey. Fab photo either way.

Nice looking track David - Code 100 flat bottomed, I presume?

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Usual mix of planning and accident David! Various shades of light grey and very light brown/tan randomly brushed on. I find that a ‘saw’ brush with various length bristles helps give the wood effect. It was even clearer before the PVA mix went on , some of which went over the sleepers. I haven’t done any 7mm scenics for a few years now so this little piece is a chance to refresh my memory and try a few new things….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

In an unprecedented burst of effort, ‘Lurganboy’ has taken a Great Leap Forward. Much time has been spent fettling chassis and body to ensure that we get the 5’3 clearances right. In a tag team effort between soldering iron and angle grinder today, the boiler was assembled and trial fitted. Motor hole cut and inside of splashers ground out to allow the 36.75 axle width. Put the bones together and it all seems to fit ….much to do, but it’s been an encouraging day.

3DD48BF7-687B-4CAA-BFBA-044DD7AC6E52.jpeg

4F2BCF45-1CE1-416A-AE40-F28A5DE4D3E9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 7

Don’t worry Leslie -not emulating Chairman Mao…I’d originally thought about describing the day as a Stakhanovite one but thought that wasn’t appropriate either….the forum software actually auto-capitalised Great Leap Forward, which is more of a worry. I’d just meant it as a generic description, not a quote from the Little Red Book! 

6 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

David, that looks terrific.

Bit worried about the "Great Leap Forward" bit - the last iijit to have one of those starved countlless millions. I hope you're not starving Timothy and Christopher?

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the day, when tv programmes were made for schools to watch, a favourite of mine was "Look, Look and Look again!" Sound advice for anyone and even when you look at early Picassos, it is clear he was a brilliant draughtsman before he followed other paths.

Cubist model railways another matter methinks!

• Funny 1