Foolish drivers

Rate this topic

enniscorthyman

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, Broithe said:

They've done this one - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.879697,-2.1106227,3a,63.4y,290.68h,90.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suEiVvGFkOFfE3HugUaRFLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 - near me a few years ago.

It's only just 'under height', but it's out-of-town and so the speeds will be higher.

I don't think it's been hit yet.

With a skew bridge in this direction, though, you've also got the (slight?) possibility of rolling the impacting vehicle onto the opposing traffic.

Using the bridge abutments is cheaper I suppose, though, than building new remote supports for a separately located sacrificial beam, although that could be arranged to be orthogonal to the impact direction.

I was going past on the bike today, so was able to get a decent picture.

DSCN8768.thumb.JPG.19e302641afaa06ab67d2235524c9a37.JPG

It still doesn't seem to have been hit yet, but it is 16' / 4.8m.

It is just a few miles north of the site of the Hixon crash back in the late 60s.

• 1 year later...
On 21/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, Broithe said:

That's a hard one. Driver of the artic may have either not been aware of, or underestimated, the overall length of his load. On the other hand, he may have been very unlucky, crossing the railway but then getting stopped at the traffic lights situated after the crossing. Either way, his trailing load was still obstructing the line, and neither he, nor the train driver, had anywhere to run.

The insurance claims are going to be interesting, not to mention the eventual accident investigation report.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I can never really understand something like that, I mean if in doubt etc etc!

If you were familiar with the layout at Cook Street, you could understand how easily it could happen in spite of all the warning signs and 'low bridge' warning system in place on the buses themselves.

Edited by hexagon789

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Broithe said:

I'm curious as to why there aren't additional CCTV/ANPR cameras situated on the road approaches to each crossing. Then you'd at least have a chance of working out who the eejits at the wheel are. Currently they all seem to be getting off scot-free when they shouldn't even be behind the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1