A4 Mallard's new layout - Progress so far...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really starting to look the part. The grass at the foot of the retaining walls really gives them a real world look. The locos look fantastic, I have a soft spot for the LMS myself. Superb work, I can see where this is going in my minds eye. The signal cabin looks right at home in it's setting.

Rich,

Brilliant work,really love that over bridge,I will be doing one similar to represent the Boyne bridge over Great Victoria Street,any tips or technique's would be greatfully received.Like your style of doing things as you go along,that tends to be my approach also,seems to work anyway.Thanks again for sharing your fantastic work.

RedRich, any input would be welcome, i have an idea but i'm making it up as i'm going along.

bren

From the photos Bren it appears to me that you are building the layout with a view to having an actual model of a real working railway. The one thing we all wish for is space, and unfortunately for a lot of us that is not a luxury that we can avail of. You are making the most of the space available to you, but it doesn't look cluttered like some large layouts can, and that is the reason why it is looking right. Some of the photos remind me of Sheffield in the 80's. There is the luxury of being able to run full length trains and shorter trains. When a train disappears off the scenic sections it can snake around the non scenic or viewing angles to appear again at a later time, and that will give you the opportunity to run the trains to a timetable, thus making it a lot more interesting. Running stock from different era's is a great way to keep things interesting also. You can have a steam era running session one day and a more modern era session another day without things not looking out of place.

I am really enjoying watching the progress, and I know why Young Fran is a frequent visitor. It looks like a great layout to let a loco stretch it's legs, and better than any rolling road to run in a model. The ballasting should be fun, and I can see a few Superman poses when carrying out the work, not too unlike the last layout. Can't wait to see more updates.

Rich,

Lovely model Fran and a classic prototype. It will be interesting to compare the Dapol and Bachmann models to the Anjin model. I've seen one of the Dapol models in black and silver and it looks tasty.

Rich,

I'll have to do a side by side pic of all three versions when the Bachmann one arrives...

Hunslet 102,

Any of the card I use is waste off cuts from picture framing shops, it's really high quality and free.

Red Rich, that is exactly what I am trying to achieve, to be able to leave trains running, to follow them on there journey or to wait for them to come back. For me it's about watching the trains and I don't want to be watching the same one. If you stagger them at 5 minute intervals you can run 6 on each track, that would be scale length trains but the noise is loud. I have one big storage yard, the rest of the storage yards are single track that can store up to 5 trains on each one. Thank you so much for your reply. Here is a few shots from today.DSC03676.jpg

regards

bren

DSC03700.jpg

I'll have to do a side by side pic of all three versions when the Bachmann one arrives...

It will be very interesting to see Fran. I haven't seen a Dapol model up close and personal, but if it is on the same par as the Western it must be a hell of a good model. Strange seeing Hattons and Rails of Sheffield going up against each other in a battle of the twins, or Dapol and Bachmann for that matter. Personally myself I prefer them in the green livery.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...