Palace East Station circa 1960

Rate this topic

Edo

Evening All

I'm looking for information on Palace East Station - one of those typical Irish junction stations in the a*@e end of nowhere - in the middle of County Wexford. It was where the GS&WR branch from Bagnalstown met the DSER from Macmine Junction ( another one!) to Waterford line.

In Particular Im looking for pictures of the station - I've seen the James O'Dea Collection and a couple of random images on flickr - they are all from roughly the same angle - from the top of the bridge on the Macmine Junction side looking down on the station. I was wondering was there anywhere else I could look for photos and records (if they exist) looking in the opposite direction and around the yard generally....any collections anywhere? libraries?

I appreciate that this is probably a big ask - in fairness - the James O'Dea photos are great and give a great idea of the station to folks like me who have only ever seen a forest on the site of the old Station - I'm in advanced planning to do a fairly accurate model of the Station as it closed in 1963 based on those and OSI maps etc  - but there are a few details that are still a big vague for me - ie what design were the 2 bridges that crossed the line , bookending the station yard -what were they made of? - I've a fair idea that one was of iron construction but Im clueless of the other one.

Maybe the some of the...ahem....more experienced members of the crew here who might have passed thru Palace East might be able to recall a detail or two?

many thanks for any info or pointers in new directions for same

Ed

Ed, 

Have had a look at the Ordnance Survey maps, they were both overbridges, or at least that's how they were drawn. As for type it appears to be an "ikea" type rivetted metal frame, with two supports of cut stone either side. I don't imagine it was any different on the other side either, as every structure is very industrious and "value engineered". 

570384759_PalaceEast.thumb.jpg.f63249b718096bc2cca1059865a0e5f5.jpg

Similar to this type at Moyasta. 

LM-60-crossing-The-Red-Bridge.jpg

Hope that helps, but it's not definitive. Richie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Ed,

I just came across your post as I was writing a story about my memories of Palace East.I lived in the station house in the early 80s from the age of around 3 to 7.Our uncle lived in the station control house just down from it (shown in the above photo)I was trying to find anything about it's history, but there are hardly any photos or information available.I have lovely memories of living there, although it was very harsh and cold, it was such an interesting house to grow up in.The only photos I have are of us as toddlers.If you find anything else about Palace East I'd love to know.

Anita

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anita

Sorry for only coming back to you now - its interesting that there is so little available on Palace East - I come from Borris further up the line in County Carlow where they tend to obssess about the line as far as Ballywilliam - not the rest!

I know that a relative of mine made a tv program on the line for the BBC and there wasnt much on Palace East as the landowners were , diplomatically speaking - a bit un co operative at the time. ....which is a real pity as the station house , station masters house, signal box and most of the yard are still there under all the growth....

I dont live around that part of the world anymore - but i'll be trying to fit in a visit or two to Wexford County libraries amongst other places to do some research in the new year -there is so much that is not digitalised ....anything i dig up I'll throw up here.

Ed

Ernie - thanks a mill - that is just brilliant - love that photo !

Ive been meaning to sign up to the IRRS for some time now - I'll get that situation rectified soonest

I have the DSER book on order now aswell

thanks guys

Ed

That would be lovely Leslie!

Unfortunately Warley is not on my radar this weekend - very envious of all those going - enjoy - sounds like it will be a great show.

I'll just follow the directions on IRRS.ie and sign up there.

My weekend is "babysitting" my nephews and niece who are completely obsessed with Thomas the Tank engine and Friends and dinosaurs ................I'll be setting up the Thomas set on the living room table and the weekend will be about how many triceratops can fit in an opens good wagon....and would somebody move that T-Rex off the main line.....................the joys of being young!!!

Ed

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1

I now you said you'd seen the stuff on Flickr but these are quite good albeit the box, tower are hidden at the other end

Palace East. 151 & railtour. 23.3.63

Also a bit obscured in this view some time later

Abandoned Signal Box, Palace East Junction, Co Wexford, Ireland.

and Eiretrains has several modern photos of the abandoned railway structures in this album

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations P/Palace East/IrishRailwayStations.html#PalaceEast_20060825_007_CC_JA.jpg

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

That top one is the famous “Inst” trip, or “outing” as the IRRS even yet still quaintly calls trips like this - as if it’s the loonies being let out if their padded cells for the day!

Belfast Inst ran several such trips and these became the genesis of the RPSI......

Indeed - Im sure Leslie McC of this parish , mentioned to me that he was on the RBAI Tour  1963 in Roger Joanes Photo above - the very last train to run down  the line in its entirety from Bagnalstown.!

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1

There are three very atmospheric John Langford colour photos Palace East in "Irish Railways in Colour a Second Glance 1947-1970" Tom Ferris 1995  ISBN 1 85780 019 2. The photos are mainly at the western end of the yard and feature a meet between two passenger trains and a beet special from Bagnalstown which required some interesting shunting, there are also  photos of trains at Macmine Junction & New Ross

• Thanks 1

I thought Palace East rang a bell, HC &/or RM Casserley travelled on the IRRS special on the 9 July 1960 and took medium format photos from Bagenalstown to Palace East which are in a Lot I obtained at the recent auction. They took the usual view at Palace East but as its a decent negative I have done a couple of enlargments to bring out the station building and loading bank details.

167404395_1960-07-09PalaceEastHCCasserleypartneg2.thumb.jpg.64ac0ea3dd6efde91d2469746caf261e.jpg1926133904_PalaceEastpartneg.thumb.jpg.2f917922010bff1babc496b584f908ac.jpg410412943_1960-07-09PalaceEastHCCasserleyimg519.thumb.jpg.1b4b323c64592e28133aa98fb9903299.jpg 

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Thats great Ernie - thanks very much

Its mad how fast that building ( old station house?) on the right foreground went to ruins inside 3 years if you look at the RBAI tour picture above.

Thanks again - im slowly piecing together the station and yard is it was before it closed - a picture down the line and yard from the Western bridge would complete things!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Another view has come to light in the files, not quite what you wanted but it is the western end of Palace East 1956 

Ernie

093 CIE 193 GSR 343 locos Palace East 1956 093.jpg

That's an interesting one, it looks like two passenger trains possibly connecting at Palace East although the Bagnalstown-Palace East line lost its regular passenger service in the 1930s.

The train at the branch platform appears to have an IRRS headboard, the train on the main line appears to be worked by a 333 or D4 Class 4-4-0 which normally worked main line passenger rather than branch line services in South East Eastern and Waterford Region. Its possible that the train on the main line is a special or has been strengthened for that particular working, North Wexford passenger trains appear to have been normally worked by the smaller 52 & 60 Class 4-4-0s until replaced by J15s and ultimately B141 during the final months of operation. 

• Like 2

The Branch train was an IRRS Special, the scans only identify it as Dublin - Athy Tour 1956 which clearly went a bit further . There are views at Kildare, Bagenalstown and stations on the branch as far as Palace East but none of how the train returned to Dublin. It appears as if the Loco has run round and probably took the line back to Bagenalstown etc.. Locos identified on scans as 196 and 343

ERnie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

It is a lamp, here is another image of the other coach side on the train probably somewhere on the branch to Palace East in 1956

Ernie

098 CIE 196 Dublin to Athy 1956 098.jpg

Pretty sure thats Borris Station with the passing loop in the foreground and the (still standing) goods shed down to the left.

• Like 3

Left to right.

The train is of laminate type (late 1950s) carriages, although the middle one might possibly be one of the 1937 Bredins.

Thd vehicle parked in front of the loco shed is a standard MGWR 6-wheeler, but with a re-panelled end in non-standard style and foot boards removed. This means it’s in departmental use.

The grounded coach body is probably a DSER suburban third class 6-wheeler. 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say I picked up a copy of "Irish Steam in the 1960's" this morning - got some great images - in colour - of the beet campaigns on this line and those other lesser known branches - ie Ballylinan, Clonmel to Thurles etc etc - great resource for anybody looking at building station layouts before the great rationalisation in the 80's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Steam-1960s-End-Era/dp/1780731469

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1