IRISH RAILWAYS LIMA CLASS 201

Rate this topic

burnthebox

The 201s may be 'trash' now given how much things have moved on (in terms of running quality, DCC, sound etc). People have a tendency to forget the era in which things became available. The iPhone has only been around for a decade but it feels like they have always been there. Nope, remember that junk flip phone or PDAs that were the ultimate thing at the time (versus the call box and rolodex). The fetched very high prices at one time for that reason. As for the prices, once again, no one here very likely to be interested in this auction and if so I'm sure they have a search saved on eBay

7 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Yep, they can be hard wired, also it improves their running

Plenty of vids on U Tube to show you how.

Could you send me a link just so cam save it thanks alot I have 2 lima 201s basically worthless to me if I can't dcc them

@IANGThat video would drive anyone crazy (well, me anyway).

There is a lot on the DCC thread on this forum but I haven't been there in ages so I cannot remember what. @Noelhardwired a split chassis loco a few years ago and although some issues in his own words iirc, it will pretty much show you a lot. I'm sure he can post a link.

Firstly make sure that the loco itself is running as well as it can be in DC. You only need to connect the decoder to the motor wires for basic functionality . I don't recall if that Lima 201s have any cab or marker/headlights ( I have #201 somewhere in a box myself).

If they do then you need a decoder with a few more functions to control directional lighting and an appropriate resistor in the circuit so you don't blow everything. Decoders are much cheaper now and forget any Hornby stuff and get yourself a basic ESU or other similar model and reliable decoder.

Using one as scenery would be great if I didn't pay €100 for each probably bit more for one because I bought 3 galway livery coaches with it.

I know my fault for buying a overpriced paperweight as most advanced and experienced moddlers call them.

In all honesty if you see from my side I'm only starting so with limited money because being from Midlands a living wage for a trades person is crap I want to get most out off what I have.

I don't want this message to come across as arrogant or anything I appreciate the help.

IANG, I'd take your loco to someone competent at a model railway club or sales outlet and ask what can be done to suit your budget.  Then enjoy running your train. I've done this with 2 Irish locos from the Hornby stable and my grandson thinks they're super.  In time you will progress to more expensive models and you will still treasure your first experiences with your Lima loco and Galway rake.

Enjoy it, it's your layout.

• Like 2

Thanks 

Unfortunately there isnt really an appetite for model railway here In offaly or anywhere within a reasonable distance that i know off even the Midlands railway club discontinued and there gone to portlaoise mens shed.

Now I do know theres guy who builds layouts in endenderry but hes super busy. 

Anyways I'll there eventually 

Ah the Lima 201. A huge step forward for the hobby in Ireland the first rtr Irish prototype model. I remember PM getting some good press at the time when they were announced. A model is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The shade of orange was spot on for the as delivered IE locos. The Lima class 59 and 31 are still highly regarded among UK modellers  with the 31 even eclipsing the body on the Hornby version. The 201 is an historical model and is still regarded sentimentally by lots of people with some even still running them on their layouts. To mock the model and ridicule it is a bit rich when also lauding shapeways  products even calling the finish as good as injected plastic moulded models.

I will always defend the Lima 201 as without it PM may not have decided to introduce the babies and everything that followed it.

Rich, 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Ah the Lima 201. A huge step forward for the hobby in Ireland the first rtr Irish prototype model. I remember PM getting some good press at the time when they were announced. A model is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The shade of orange was spot on for the as delivered IE locos. The Lima class 59 and 31 are still highly regarded among UK modellers  with the 31 even eclipsing the body on the Hornby version. The 201 is an historical model and is still regarded sentimentally by lots of people with some even still running them on their layouts. To mock the model and ridicule it is a bit rich when also lauding shapeways  products even calling the finish as good as injected plastic moulded models.

I will always defend the Lima 201 as without it PM may not have decided to introduce the babies and everything that followed it.

Rich, 

Fair comment Mr Q, to a point anyway. I have to admit I was fairly chuffed with my Lima CIE 215 psuedo A class in the 1970s. I still have a pair of them somewhere, by todays standards they are utter junk heaps and ran like tractors, but thought they were the bees-knees in the 1970s. Do you have any photos of your Lima models?

Lima CIE 215 - Think PM played a part in Lima producing these BR Class 33s is CIE ST livery. They are layout decoration now, and emotionally attached to them for historical reasons so they'll never hit eBay. They are worthless anyhow.

LimaCIE_Class33s.JPG

Lima 215 hauling Lima BR Mk1s about 1975 on my first layout 

IMG_4681.jpg

• Like 2

Once again I must tell you that PM had no hand act or part in the production of the earlier Cl 33's in Irish livery

If you bothered to read the Lima/Murphy thread you would see the history behind them

Before he produced the 201's he was offered a Cl 33 , 015 in IE Livery by the Lima factory and this loco appeared

in a couple of sets and also individually boxed, point to note no exhaust detail on the roof

It was because of this Cl 33 that the Lima 201 appeared

It is not a paperweight but a superb model for its day and still an acceptable one

And your Cl 33's are not worthless, sold a lovely boxed one recently for €100

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

27 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Once again I must tell you that PM had no hand act or part in the production of the earlier Cl 33's in Irish livery

If you bothered to read the Lima/Murphy thread you would see the history behind them

Before he produced the 201's he was offered a Cl 33 , 015 in IE Livery by the Lima factory and this loco appeared

in a couple of sets and also individually boxed, point to note no exhaust detail on the roof

It was because of this Cl 33 that the Lima 201 appeared

It is not a paperweight but a superb model for its day and still an acceptable one

And your Cl 33's are not worthless, sold a lovely boxed one recently for €100

Opps, sorry have no boxes for them. Back then I used my toy train boxes to underpin and form scenic landscaping before covering with newspaper mache, etc. Cardboard train set boxes were great for forming mountains and cliff edges. The foam padding newer generation hornby sets used made them very light. The earlier Hornby Dublo were all card structure, before Tri-ang went for that horrible blister pack yellow internal structure dividers. HD were the nicest boxes I remember. I have a pair of CIE Hornby Hymek horrors too, but not original condition as I repainted them the correct shade of orange and weathered them by brush circa 1976'ish. But they do still have the stick on CIE logo stamps. :) The Lime 215 CL 33s had a nice shade or ST orange/tan, but sadly motors like a kenwood egg whisk. Started at a scale speed of 40mph, and topped out at 220mph scale speed. They are decoration on one of the layout MPDs now.

Edited by Noel

10 minutes ago, Broithe said:

In the past, there were many prophets, scattered about the wilderness, slowly converting the faithful with their craven images.

11 minutes ago, Broithe said:

In the past, there were many prophets, scattered about the wilderness, slowly converting the faithful with their craven images.

Craven images? Never had to do this to an IRM model. Bogies a little difficult to get off this craven creature :) :)

IMG_4493.JPG

I have seen some Lima models double motored regauged to EM P4 standards and pimped using cottage industry detailing parts and they are fine models. Shawplan still produce etched parts for Lima models.

I had some 201's in the past and they were sold on to fund 141 181 models. I still have an Enterprise model stashed away somewhere that I regauged to EM. I believe Ultrascale still produce wheelsets for modellers that want double motor Lima locos. Add some weight to the model and they run very good and no traction tyres.

The hobby is layered with history and the Lima era is well worth its place in that history.

Rich,

• Like 4