A few items from Malahide

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

2 hours ago, Midland Man said:

I think the engine was bought of the DSER.

Purchased from the GSWR, ex Waterford & Wexford Railway "Cambria", built by Hunslet in 1894, withdrawn 1928.

The DSER purchase was the engine bit of a steam railmotor, proven to be unsuitable and had a short career with the D&BST.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 2

Thanks Minister

I plan the layout to be quite micro at being about 5ft by 1ft long. Does any one know if Fry made any models of the tramways wagons as well as the diesel shunter in this pic? Not the ford rail car a firm favorite rail car of mine. The building on the left of it will be used as an idea for probally my Nexted project.

image.thumb.jpg.77fbed6e869e55ba94cf78936f71355d.jpg

MM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midland Man said:

Thanks Minister

I plan the layout to be quite micro at being about 5ft by 1ft long. Does any one know if Fry made any models of the tramways wagons as well as the diesel shunter in this pic? Not the ford rail car a firm favorite rail car of mine. The building on the left of it will be used as an idea for probally my Nexted project.

image.thumb.jpg.77fbed6e869e55ba94cf78936f71355d.jpg

MM

He didn't make any of the type of wagon shown, but he DID make models of some DBST wagons. You'll see them in Malahide when it reopens!

• Like 1

Does anyone remember Dublin & Blessington layout/diorama in the window of the Dublin Tourism O'Connell Street office about 20 years ago?

It was a working O Gauge diorama of the tram with a double ended locomotive and double deck coach running through a street scene based on Tallagh Village

It was a simple oval of track with a short section of street running through a village with the tram disappearing behind a backscene. The tram seem to run continuously so must have put up a lot of milage when the display was in operation.

Another one for Midland Man,  I knew one of the Hudson family from Crooksling who operated a business about 40 years ago delivering sand and gravel to building site in Dublin.

He told me that before the line closed they often borrowed the local mileman's trolley to scoot down the hill to Brittas or possibly Embankment or Jobestown to go to dances in the local Dance Halls and country houses.

The flange on one of the wheels on the trolley was damaged and it used to kick up a racket, he didn't say how they got home the following morning though it was probably the last thing on their mind when they set out the night before.

wm_1191.jpg

The tram approaching Crooksling summit, Hudson's on the right.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, murrayec said:

@Midland Man

Between these two photos- yours and JHB's above, also if a backend one can be found, one would have enough info to set up a model;-

Eoin

14DA811D-25CF-4CCB-A32A-4D0EAEE06BCE.jpeg

here you go! courtesy of the Chasewater Railway blog....https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2010/12/

I think the Model Railway Journal series on building ‘Shannon’ may assist, as the locos are of a similar size with straight framing - you might get some basic construction tips. I know Mr Holman of this parish has experience of that project. Image from Wikipedia.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wantage_Tramway#/media/File%3AShannon_%40_Didcot.jpg

53E0281E-4946-44AB-8735-EA5F48EA0382.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

A Pity there'll be no pub.  The Morgue in Templeogue was central to the life of the Dublin and Blessington Steam Tram and it's still known as the Morgue.  Perhaps some of this parish could share a detailed account.  Maybe something for the good railway story thread?

• Like 1

No but I will keep it in mind.

I have been looking at the Osi maps and have seen that the stations on the line were more like halts. There are a few with loops but they are not common. So I am going to build the model as just a straight line to make it look realistic. As for stock I am going to have to get into contact with the IRRS.

21 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Is this one of the D and B rail car re gauged?

1961-06-07 Ennis Baguley'Ford Petrol Inspection Car img664

No, not at all - this is the T & D's inspection car, which later went to the West Clare. It is pictured at Ennis after the line closed during demolition. Regrettably it was scrapped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midland Man said:

No but I will keep it in mind.

I have been looking at the Osi maps and have seen that the stations on the line were more like halts. There are a few with loops but they are not common. So I am going to build the model as just a straight line to make it look realistic. As for stock I am going to have to get into contact with the IRRS.

Published in 2009 with 96 pages of good photos and interesting detail about the DBST. Will help with your research for sure.

• 2 years later...