Portadown Junction

Rate this topic

leslie10646

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Never mind, David - personally, I thought England played better than all season.

Putting these trains together took me back to the excitement of a "VS" hauled special to Dublin in the very early 1960s, or, indeed with one of the NCC Moguls. Usually ten coaches on each train and only the "All-in" with dining facilities. It always had a kitchen car (rebuild from a M2 full brake, I believe - I could have sneaked one into the train. On one Rugby Saturday, even a very run-down S Class, which had a tough day.

Needless to say, we didn't go to the match - there were J15s on specials to Lansdowne Road, or once TWO S Class working Howth locals and finally, Q Class No.132 on a local to Greystones - they were more important - Ireland would be winning Rugby matches for decades afterwards!

The railway is in "relay" mode, so you'll have to wait for Down going to Croke Park for the GAA Final to get a ten coach load behind these locos.

One of my earliest railway memories is of a large blue steam locomotive with smoke defectors hauling a long passenger train crossing the Viaduct during one of our summertime trips (by car) to the seaside at Gormanstown as a small child during the 1960s.

Imagine my surprise when I years later I discovered that there were large blue steam locos in Ireland and I might have actually seen 207 on the Tourist Train or a special!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

And for those of you who, like me, never saw it, this is what we missed. To Dublin ears which had become accustomed to the 2 cylinder exhaust of the WTs by the mid 60s, the occasional appearance of that 3 cylinder beat of Boyne would sound subtly different….images thanks to Ernie. Note in the top photo how Adelaide shed staff, disgusted by the removal of her nameplates, provided a wooden substitute. 

E1F4FAC5-B405-4AA6-AB5D-619B3CD03401.jpeg

A869EA1B-5180-430B-B074-2C56FE54C23B.jpeg

51DC4167-59FF-4CF9-8EAA-843D79C3E2F0.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, Midland Man said:

Lesslie 

lovely layout 

you say it is exactly like Drew Donaldson whitch is true.The only thing is that all of drew engines were in Cie green as he liked them liked them in that color.In my own mind you should do some scenery as drew engines were class but look better in a scene than on lots of track. To prove it would you want to sea some of his engines in a formation on his layout or on a scene like the Inchicore model up at Cultra but it's you layout not mine and the hobby is meant to be enjoyed.

MM 

I have seen Drew's models, both at Cultra and in the top floor of his house on the Lisburn Road.

Nice and all as the Cultra display is, Drew's models were best seen in operation at his Tuesday night operating sessions.  Sadly those days are now just a memory.

RIP Drew.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 16/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, Old Blarney said:

Don't be mentioning Green to him, he's from the North. You know the type, they want orange grass as supplied by a well know seed-merchants in Armagh - William Hannover Boyne, Battlefield Road, Armagh BT16 9O

UTA painted all their vehicles green.

CIE opted to go for black and tan.

Just saying lol :)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 4 months later...

New stock arrives at Portadown (displaced from Greenore via Liverpool). The local traffic superintendent couldn't resist it.

1967249983_IMG_39652copy2.thumb.jpg.bb561b59fb672a9e53e103f42687dad0.jpg

Side view:

IMG_3966 copy 2.jpg

Quite a weighty coach, with a nice sliding centre axle -we'll see how it likes my rotten trackwork (not just arrears of maintainence, but Jerry built in first place!).

Its sister Full Brake will be given a run on the Christmas Mails on Monday.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 13

Thanks, Jon and David.

David, although I have a GN Working Appendix and WTT somewhere, I doubt if I ever looked the lamp codes up!

So, having fallen for the wind-up, I wonder what gauge you'd be modelling in to CHANGE the lamps each time depending on the type of train. To say nothing of moving the tail lamp to the front of the loco is you were reversing to the shed!.

One plus of all these DCC-fitted disease-als where it's all done for you!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

There are 4mm modellers who do change the lamps believe it or not ! Whole thread on RM web about it…https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/174579-acceptable-standards-at-exhibitions/

Someone once told me that, if a layout has more than one public clock on it, a church and a town hall, maybe, then he has to check that they show the same time.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

As promised my new train, here hauled by the nearest thing I have to a DNGR tank - a GNR Tank. Three Hattons six wheelers. I really wanted the full brake, but thought I might as well have a short train!

1728512342_IMG_4307(1).thumb.jpg.91694d9ef2afd94eb7333edc5bf1eb2d.jpg

Superb! They look excellent. And - those GNR tanks did operate on the DNGR once the GNR took on day to day running of it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

As promised my new train, here hauled by the nearest thing I have to a DNGR tank - a GNR Tank. Three Hattons six wheelers. I really wanted the full brake, but thought I might as well have a short train!

1728512342_IMG_4307(1).thumb.jpg.91694d9ef2afd94eb7333edc5bf1eb2d.jpg

The Hattons LNWR coaches should stimulate demand for LNWR,DNGR and GNR locos!

Possibly a OO Works Crew Special Tank/DNGR 0-6-0ST though similar in general outline the DNGR loco would require a separate running board/footplate tooling to the Crew Special. The DNGR locos had larger driving wheels and a different running plate profile to the "Crew Special"

There are several photos of GNR JT 2-4-2T on the DNGR.

Richard Hobbs designed 3D printed JT complete with OO chassis has been available for several years www.glr3dmodeldesign.co.uk recommended using plasticard overlays to complete the loco.

Harry Connaughton a professional model maker produced a batch of rtr OO & 21mm GNR JT 2-4-2T (used on the DNGR) during the early 70s which may show up on the second hand market or deceased estate.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Camberley on a hot day! The loft needs air-conditioning, but after a bit of tidying wires, I thought I'd try a twenty wagon "Enniskillen Shipper". You see I've been automating distant points on the railway on cool days, and on the hot ones I've been putting weight in my cattle wagons DOWNSTAIRS.

Hence, by the way, the empty turntable roads, drill and other WofMD. This snip is No..149 (00 Works) bringing 20 PW cattle wagons plus my GNR Brake (a masterpiece by young Nelson) over the recently motorised crossover and into the Goods Loop at The Junction. She'd just done a full circuit with this load - just over a scale mile and I was offering Burnt Offerings in True Old Testament style. Getting there at last!

The clever ones among you will realise that The Shipper never entered this loop but ran straight through on its way to Maysfield.

• Like 6