Cuisle na Tíre (“Ireland’s Transport Magazine”)

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

I’ve already posted some items from this, which was published in earlier CIE days.

While it aimed at the public rather than enthusiasts, it contains much of interest. 

The following is from June 1947. The article about a railway porters day at work is an interesting insight into a long-gone world, but one familiar to anyone who worked on the railways that SO many layouts depict.

DFA085A9-38F5-4599-84D2-50100E9746C2.jpeg

7CB9B285-911F-4B4D-BF08-F014A783321E.jpeg

3E40D1B7-6847-408B-B29D-FE0A9C561F1F.jpeg

• Like 6

July 1947, and CIE, still a private company, is but two and a half years old.

In these times most main lines had only two or three through trains per day.

The writer of the following article would barely understand what Westland Row or Amiens St are like now, with DARTs included less than forty years after the article was written. An interesting insight, again, into the past.

Note the train: the coach on the left is a GSWR open third of 1899-1910 era, possibly Downpatrick’s 836 or sister 837. It is still in GSR maroon. Behind it is a main line DSER coach in CIE green. The picture appears to be at Westland Row.

FBEF63D1-1B92-47AE-B5EC-FA341B2B9D96.jpeg

9606F517-7F97-4940-8722-70E7AE747950.jpeg

FA4ACDE8-77CF-4947-8255-169CFA52D3D0.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

The most touching feature is the respect the magazine shows that the company still understood and valued the contribution of the individual who carry out humble but critical roles, it would be difficult to imagine a modern day public transport operator doing a similar feature on its staff in a public magazine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

The most touching feature is the respect the magazine shows that the company still understood and valued the contribution of the individual who carry out humble but critical roles, it would be difficult to imagine a modern day public transport operator doing a similar feature on its staff in a public magazine.

It would have to be a top brass photo opportunity shaking hands with politicos and ministers or "celebrity" puff piece these days... Bertie's young wan who writes bukes travels on IE scenic route and gets paid to put a positive spin on it.

• Like 1

jhb171achill the piece on Station Scene is great, a real insight into the comings and goings at a busy station.  It's a pity that the top of the photo has been cropped such that the station roof outline is not visible.  Looks very like Platform 5 at Westland Row.  I like the way you can describe the coach colours from a grainy black & white photo.  Enjoyed the read and great to have it.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DART8118 said:

jhb171achill the piece on Station Scene is great, a real insight into the comings and goings at a busy station.  It's a pity that the top of the photo has been cropped such that the station roof outline is not visible.  Looks very like Platform 5 at Westland Row.  I like the way you can describe the coach colours from a grainy black & white photo.  Enjoyed the read and great to have it.  Thanks for posting.

Yes, pity about the station roof!

The magazine ran a series detailing the daily life of different CIE employees, from a Dublin bus conductor to a man who loaded and unloaded goods wagons in Cork (Glanmire) Good yard. If it is of interest i might start a thread about CIE staff interviews - anyone?

Old GSR / CIE Road Vehicles.

These from a 1947 Cuisle.

The older truck looks very like a thing my grandfather drew up for the GSR road services as a rough sketch of the sort of vehicle they could build to deal with cattle traffic following the closure of various branch lines. I reproduced the drawing in “Rails to Achill”.

Apart from a larger wheel, the drawing one one of these things seem to bear some resemblance.

BB5B56EA-10EC-49F0-B3CE-C2F857A3A8EE.jpeg

5A950AFE-B802-477D-BC0E-80F22A8216D2.jpeg

79F43F02-35E7-415A-8C5E-66F9EA933835.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, jhb171achill said:

I’ve already posted some items from this, which was published in earlier CIE days.

While it aimed at the public rather than enthusiasts, it contains much of interest. 

The following is from June 1947. The article about a railway porters day at work is an interesting insight into a long-gone world, but one familiar to anyone who worked on the railways that SO many layouts depict.

DFA085A9-38F5-4599-84D2-50100E9746C2.jpeg

7CB9B285-911F-4B4D-BF08-F014A783321E.jpeg

3E40D1B7-6847-408B-B29D-FE0A9C561F1F.jpeg

Fabulous would have loved to have the rest of that piece. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Pics do in the book on the midland but all are in GSR days. They only ran until the 40s I think.

This was 1947, obviously. The article does not make clear whether the ones seen were in traffic or not, or if so, how many were. I think that at least a few were kicking about probably for loco coal until Broadstone said goodbye to its last steam engine about 1962.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve two spare copies of this. If anyone wants them, send me privately your name and postal address.

Warning: by no means all of it is of railway interest - it was aimed at the general public.

UPDATE: These now have a new home.

0570334A-3249-4764-A29C-8E319B9396B7.thumb.jpeg.218ead930274879eb212653314b68afe.jpeg

FC44D570-A97A-424D-A93F-DBA171B3BD32.jpeg

7BFB6813-BE22-4182-AD34-792438A8C1D1.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I've a set of most or all of them, if anyone is interested in me fishing out any article for them and posting it here....

I would be very interested to read any coverage or articles relating to the post October 1958 creation of the CIE 'Northern Division' (the ex-GNR section). Reading the content already posted (and thanks for doing that Jon) I'm sure CIE would have tried to put some positive spin on it. 

8 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

I would be very interested to read any coverage or articles relating to the post October 1958 creation of the CIE 'Northern Division' (the ex-GNR section). Reading the content already posted (and thanks for doing that Jon) I'm sure CIE would have tried to put some positive spin on it. 

I'll have a look!

Ah!  Just had a look. It's 1950 mine go up to, not 1960! Maybe I'm wrong in thinking 1960 in the first place, but if I'm correct, then (as far as I can see) I don't have any later than 1950. If I find out anything else I'll post here, however, the IRN and IRRS Journal would be more complete in their coverage, I would think.

• Thanks 1