Gauge O Castletown

Rate this topic

DSERetc

The idea for a garden railway  came while watching Mark Found's TV programme, The Garden Railway.  My brother said 'We could put one in the back garden.'

It started off as just a single line circle. Then as he had an interest in Irish films, he mentioned The Quiet Man.   We made a basic model of Ballyglunan station house and got some Slaters Clayton six wheel coaches and painted them like CIE coaches. I also got what was supposed to be a GNR  PP  4-4-0 and  an A 0-6-0.   Please do not look too closly!!   At least it is a 4-4-0.

I also got a kit for a SE&CR  N class which Tony Ragg built as a Woolwich  2-6-0.   I got some Lima LMS  coaches which I painted in an approximate early CIE livery.

I put in a crossing loop and a small goods yard.

I pictured the layout to be a crossing station on single track main line with main line trains crossing local trains, with some

goods traffic.   The time is between 1958 and 1963 after the breakup  of the GNRB,  when CIE got about half of the GN engines.  You may be able to see CIE on the buffer beam of the 0-6-0 in the head shunt.

I have made bridges similar to the Boyne and Thomastown Viaducts and the Egyptian Arch also tunnel mouths similar to some at Bray Head.

Completely unlike the prototype, the signals are worked automatically by memory or muscle wire by current from the track to which the points are set and the direction of travel.

DSERetc

PICT0312.jpg

PICT0313.JPG

PICT0314.JPG

PICT0315.JPG

PICT0301.jpg

PICT0302.JPG

PICT0317.jpg

PICT0289.JPG

PICT0292.JPG

PICT0303.JPG

PICT0290.JPG

PICT0293_edited.JPG

PICT0308.JPG

PICT0310.jpg

• Like 8
  • WOW! 3

1 hour ago, DSERetc said:

Jhb171achill Many thanks.

Please do not look too closely at the goods wagons.  Or else just above the waist.   I will post photographs when I get the the running gear repainted.

DSERetc

Jhb171. 

The thing is, I believe, that each layout is it's owner's kingdom. Some prioritise scenery, some operational accuracy, some the engineering accuracy or complexity of a model, some crave absolute visual accuracy. None are wrong and none are right - it's a matter of personal opinion.

Lately, the late Drew Donaldson's huge layout has been mentioned. The one time I saw it operate, I don't recall any scenery at all, yet the models were built to a very high standard indeed, for the time. Yet, almost all were in the wrong livery - a bit like much of the real-life preserved stuff!

Personally, as will be very clear from anyone who reads my demented ramblings here, the visual aspect is what I personally enjoy - that can mean highly realistic scenery, and well-proportioned models which would naturally be in an accurate livery - but that's just me.

Arising out of that, on a website such as this, if you've an engineering issue, the likes of Mayner and ecmtrains and others here will be along to share their expertise and knowledge. various among us who have a good historical knowledge can share that too. If I have access to information about liveries (and I have a huge lot of such stuff, because I've been making notes of it for forty years) I am pleased to share it!

But, as I say, that's only my take on the whole hobby which as others have noted, is a very varied one. There are a million ways to skin a cat, and the creation of an overall atmosphere, I think, is yet another great skill that the hobby includes; your outdoor layout has that in lorry loads!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love the snow scenes and the photos of the railway in operation, the approach to the station with the dense vegetation and  bracket signal reminds me of Rathdrum. Building and maintaining a garden railway is a major challenge though very satisfying and I manage to run trains through most of the year. I find Autumn particularly challenging with leaf clearing a major weekly operation as there are large deciduous trees in our garden and and on our street.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, DSERetc said:

The idea for a garden railway  came while watching Mark Found's TV programme, The Garden Railway.  My brother said 'We could put one in the back garden.'

It started off as just a single line circle. Then as he had an interest in Irish films, he mentioned The Quiet Man.   We made a basic model of Ballyglunan station house and got some Slaters Clayton six wheel coaches and painted them like CIE coaches. I also got what was supposed to be a GNR  PP  4-4-0 and  an A 0-6-0.   Please do not look too closly!!   At least it is a 4-4-0.

I also got a kit for a SE&CR  N class which Tony Ragg built as a Woolwich  2-6-0.   I got some Lima LMS  coaches which I painted in an approximate early CIE livery.

I put in a crossing loop and a small goods yard.

I pictured the layout to be a crossing station on single track main line with main line trains crossing local trains, with some

goods traffic.   The time is between 1958 and 1963 after the breakup  of the GNRB,  when CIE got about half of the GN engines.  You may be able to see CIE on the buffer beam of the 0-6-0 in the head shunt.

I have made bridges similar to the Boyne and Thomastown Viaducts and the Egyptian Arch also tunnel mouths similar to some at Bray Head.

Completely unlike the prototype, the signals are worked automatically by memory or muscle wire by current from the track to which the points are set and the direction of travel.

DSERetc

PICT0312.jpg

PICT0313.JPG

PICT0314.JPG

PICT0315.JPG

PICT0301.jpg

PICT0302.JPG

PICT0317.jpg

PICT0289.JPG

PICT0292.JPG

PICT0303.JPG

PICT0290.JPG

PICT0293_edited.JPG

PICT0308.JPG

Fabulous work 

is it O gauge as you mentioned Tony ragg who models in O. I hope we get to sea more of this fabulous layout with terribly good stock and engines.

This is O gauge and analogue 12Volt dc. I have 2 Gaugemaster controllers.  One for main line running and one for the goods yard. So it is possible, in theory, to shunt a goods train in the yard while a train is on the main line. Last year the main line controller developed a fault and was only producing about 3 volts. I have had it about 20 years and the literature said there was a ' Lifetime' guarantee,  so I sent it off and they repaired it free of charge,  not even postage! 

Since these photos were taken, I had to replace the baseboard under the station  and took the opportunity convert the loop platform to an island platform. I also got some Leinster Models

LMS body shells to make into something like CIE 1950s coaches.  Up to now no AEC railcars or A  Class, C Class or

B Class diesel electric locos have run on the line as it is a little out of the way.

Tony Ragg is the CME

DSERetc 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Some new arrivals at Guage O Castletown.

Three adaptions of Leinster Models LMS coach body shells.

1. GNRI  No. 114  L13 Brake/3rd            See page 73   The Great Northern Railway (Ireland)  by Norman Johnston.   

2. GNRI  No. 75  K15  Open Third                 Page 24  

3. GNRI No 30  F16 Side Corridor Composite.     Page 57

IMG_20210911_130220_3CS.thumb.jpg.d64b2339f5267880f75b378e22408db7.jpg

IMG_20210911_130253_1CS.thumb.jpg.ab1672f62964194b00a167fd6ac66d06.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20210911_130305_3CS.thumb.jpg.5087feda9fc01a078c859d938fae045d.jpg

New coaches with GNR(I)   PP   No. 25.

IMG_20210911_130447_3CS.thumb.jpg.2d26685d3f8cb7c861afcbdfd1b42d18.jpg

CIE  J15  No. 131   'adapted'  from Lima F8IMG_20210911_121206_863.thumb.jpg.5e77b61315c3c9126be77a763d15772e.jpg

131  with 6 wheel coaches

thumbnail_IMG_20210911_131031_2CS.thumb.jpg.e97c88666c624df2716982655f684d41.jpg

CIE   AEC Railcars    Sides from Jeromy Clements,    Front and Roof  from Andy Crockhart.

IMG_20210911_123526_220.thumb.jpg.acebabf3f30e5680679fffcaa556b662.jpg

AEC railcars with Buffet Car  

IMG_20210911_124405_675.thumb.jpg.40e761063173fea3db1907e9532db212.jpgDSERetc

IMG_20210911_130253_1CS.jpg

IMG_20210911_130305_3CS.jpg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 3

Lovely modelling, I’m most impressed how you’ve adapted run of the mill items into specific models for your needs. One thing, just looking round the surroundings, there’s lots of ivy starting to appear. All this summer I’ve been doing a clearout of the b***** stuff. It starts off looking pretty and giving everywhere a nice green look, but it just keeps growing and spreading, by the time you realise it’s taken over, you’ve got long underground runners and 2” thick stems, and it’s very hard work clearing it, so recommend you start now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...

How did I miss this???

Oh yeah, pandemic time, extra hours in work, all time-off cancelled, boooo!

This is just incredible!

There's a shortage of bogie-era 7mm layouts out there, presumably as they aren't practical for many folk, so this not only fills that gap, but is just incredible in it's own right!

The N Class and green coaches on the viaduct, just WOW!

• Like 1