Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Glory days of 1960s CIE, when trains were trains, with engines and carriages, and goods were packed into vans in boxes and parcels, never a pallet nor a container seen. :) Bogies were exclusively for carriages and locos. Shunting and banging, rail clank and GM notching, open coach windows, all were an assault on the senses of a young child. Clickety clack, Clickety clack, Clickety clack, :)   :)   Now the railways have been overrun by boring soulless trams.

IMG_8191.jpeg

• Like 3

Old and new. Modern era containerisation did away with much of the old railway infrastructure needed to support the transport of goods all around the country by 2 axle pickup goods wagon trains. Within a few years the goods yards, sidings and goods sheds once busy were decaying and redundant, much of the more interesting track work at stations ripped up as part of logical rationalisations. Cement, beat and fertiliser traffic kept goods traffic going for a few years but now 'freight' as its now known has diminished and moved to road. All that's left is the odd timber train, a few liners a week plus tara mines.

IMG_5606.thumb.jpg.5f26388b22d775cb6030bf5477eae17f.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Scene of devastation after the 18:15 kings bridge to Galway Good’s train double headed by B121+B188 ran into the back of the 21:00 goods train stopped on the down holding loop at Woodvale Junction. No LLPs where harmed nor injured. No damage to rolling stock, couplings nor buffers. Only two wagons at the rear derailed. Most of the detailed wagons were at the head of the stopped train. Lesson - never leave a layout unattended even for restroom visits, or a minimum leave a signal man on duty. This was to be one of B121s last traffic movements paired with a 141/181 loco, its next traffic roster is due to be running in pair with MM B125 double header hauling a knock special.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

EGV central.

A full house of Murphy model Mk2 EGVs now stabled at Kingsbridge ready for future traffic. Mk2 may be a little modern for my era but I did travel on them in the 1970s and 1980s, so personal nostalgia demands I run modern era stock like this.

IMG_6527.JPG

Top CIE, middle IE/IR Orange roof, bottom IE/IR black roof. I'll eventually get around to weathering the new CIE version

IMG_6528.JPG

MM5602 via Chris Dyer about 4 years ago, this was originally a black roofed version so I resprayed the roof MM orange and then weathered it myself so I'd have an orange tippex EGV. I never imagined I'd ever be respraying anything when I bought this.

IMG_6530.JPG

MM5601 resprayed for me about 5 years ago my Graham's resprays (ie the former model shop portlaois). It was originally in Galway livery, and even by then mk2 EGVs were like gold dust, so the only option was to buy a galway set one and commission a respray. The respray and weathering cost €20 if I remember correctly on top of €40 for the coach. Seamus did a super job.

IMG_6531.JPG

A recent Murphy Model Mk2 5605 from Marks. In the queue for weathering. 

IMG_6529.JPG

A tri of MM mk2 EGVs. CIE super train, with IE/IR Tippex orange roof, and black roof

IMG_6532.JPG

Will put the CIE 5605 on the weathering queue list along with a rake of new CIE mk2 coaches. Now back to current projects. Distractions are this hobbies enemy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IRM central station. 3 rakes of IRM freight trains held at Woodvale Junction. On platform 2 are 10x42ft Container wagons, down loop 15xCement wagons, up loop 8xFertiliser wagons in the weathering queue). For balance on platform 2 a CIE era loose coupled goods train behind B188 and B121 in consist. Two Taras on Platform 4, background the evening 20ft container wagons due to be marshalled onto the end of the goods train just before departure to Kingsbridge. 4 Years ago a scene like this would have been impossible to even dream of.  It would have just been bachmann BR outline goods wagons GWR, LMS, LNER, etc. Nearest on P4 is flying snail era steam special with J15 waiting for delivery of HB ice cream to the refreshments van..

IMG_6637.thumb.JPG.f0973a437bafa965305864bd73c1a307.JPG

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took an ESU LokSound V5 decoder out of a 181 this evening and tried it in B134 and had some fun shunting CIE 2 axle stock with kadee couplings. Not action packed but a demo of kadee uncoupling with sound on a 121 (ie EMD 645 engine). Awaiting MM sound chip due for delivery next week.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

1962 meets 1974. Time travel is possible on a model railway. The golden Black'n'Tan era meets 1961 B134 (2020 livery) and 1973 182 in Supertrain livery. B181 has the same new sound project as the 121s from WheelTappers so it will be able to consist and double head with Murphy Models B125 B&T livery with matched motor speeds when the Murphy Model Black'n'Tan 121s ships (a week or two over due perhaps but no news from the eastern front). :) 

IMG_8181.jpg

Had an enjoyable running session earlier

• Like 3

2 axle goods traffic being overtaken on the loop by 16:43 arrival from Kingsbridge with double headed 182+B181 on Platform 1. B165 waits on the down loop as pilot for the expected 16:58 goods working. J15 steaming up on P4 in preparation for 17:30 departure to Dungarvan.

IMG_8241.jpg

Local branch train from Dungarvan arrives at Platform 4. Mixed passenger + goods. Provincial wagons coupled to coach with exGSWR brake van.

IMG_8247.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bachmann Woolwich Mogul N class with a local mixed goods train

IMG_8571.jpg

Market day. Cattle and fuel coming to town. :) 

IMG_8576.jpg

First test run below after DCC conversion. Wired Lenz Silver decoder in the tender as no space in the loco body or boiler. Had to make some mods to the loco and tender to facilitate the conversion including replacing the original plastic articulated coupling with a traditional wire hoop on the tender and a wire hook on the back of the loco body. A bit of fun fitting it anyway.

IMG_8565.jpg

• Like 3

One of my previous layouts was based on a fictional roadside tramway, so built one of the Connoisseur GER tram engine kits which also came with a set of 'Toby' nameplates. Couldn't resist fitting them and even bought the book, so I could draw Toby's face on two squares of card. Stuck them on with bluetak, in case I offended the purists, but needn't have worried, Tony proved a real hit at exhibitions and not just with the children.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Park Royals mixed in a typical 1960s CIE mixed rake formation hauled by B135. I recently tweaked the livery of these from IE/IR modern Tippex twin stripe to single stripe CIE era black'n'tan livery.Mixing the 1960s with the 1990s on the layout by accident now a thing of the past.

CIE_1960s_Coaches_IFM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Test run for the recent rake of mk3 coaches comprising 7 resprays from various Hornby/Lima donors and one Lima Murphy Model coach bought on ebay (7140). All lightly weathered except the RTR Lima Murphy Model example as I'd like to keep that as produced.

PS: Desperately modern for my era so might auction them off for a charity later in the year.

• Like 6