Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Looks fantastic! Well done!

Thanks Jonathan.  Somewhat inspired by "Rails Through the West".  

Did you notice the slight coach wobble I've accidentally introduced to the Laminate due to thinning the chassis bogie mounting plate.  Same problem as the RPSI cravens.  Will need to add a washer shim inside the chassis to tighten up the bogie pivots.

• 2 weeks later...

Bubble heaven. IRM Orange livery cement wagons have arrived on the layout. Sublime detailing and precision moulding.

IMG_3999.jpg

In the new year I hope to weather the IRM wagons similarly to the MIR ones below, or as close as I can get. Hats off to team IRM.

IMG_3998.jpg

Cement Bubble Amazerballs

IMG_4006.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

Wow!!!! Outstanding! Much as anyone would hate to lay a finger on a bubble as it is, the weathering looks A1 on those weathered ones....

I find myself becoming a great fan of weathering. Anything that ever came out of a paint shop would be shiny for its first or second journey only, so an entire shiny train never looks quite right! I like the light touches on the locos and passenger stock above also - looks extremely realistic.

Edited by jhb171achill

• 2 weeks later...

Busy traffic at the junction today with some play time.

IMG_4139.jpg

The new 20ft skeletal container kits post weathering without loads.

IMG_4016.jpg

Carrying loads below including a refrigerated container. Methinks the containers need a light dusting.

IMG_4020.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Noel said:

183 hauls the 08:15 to Galway

IMG_5270.jpg

Somebody has spiked my food, first a weakness for Tara's, now this modern era scene. :) Where will it all end Ted? Will I be allowed back into the B&T members lounge?

Welcome to the dark side Noel.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jason brady said:

Welcome to the dark side Noel.

I fear "I may forever rot in the bogie of eternal stench" for facilitating such an infestation of modern rolling stock.  I risk being expelled from the B&T members pavilion, and @jhb171achill may never forgive me.

Perhaps its just a bad dream . . . sleeping.gif

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Modern era? This is now vintage gold!

Ahem - Anything post 1972 seems modern. :)  Once those sleek BREL Mk2s arrived and goods wagons started to have bogies the end of railway civilisation as we knew it was nigh. 

• Like 2

More modernity has arrived on the layout :)  . . . and three shades of orange to compare (mk2a, mk2d, loco).  I love the detailing on the Bachmann mk2a coach which is a recent recruit.

IMG_5309.jpg

Woodvale station is in the process of being cleared prior to some minor track adjustments.

• Like 4

Orange invasion of the 1980s. Rampant Mk2 infection spreads. Kadee mk2 running trials today.

IMG_5374.jpg

Oh the shame of such modernity but at least being close coupled they escape the firing squad. Quite impressed with this first excision into kadee land.

IMG_5371.jpg

Rescued by some sensible B&T sanity on platforms 4 and 5. :) 

IMG_5365.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed a lengthy running session this evening with a visiting WMRC member testing various stock formations with the new couplings. Also enjoyed playing with a WheelTappers LokSound DCC sound project on B&T B181 with 'PowerDrive' feature. Fun also with B141 running MrSoundGuy's Zimo sound project which has 'RealDrive'. Love them both.

IMG_5772.jpg

GSV 3185 nestles up close to Craven

IMG_5762.jpg

CIE Brake Parcels van couples up nicely to Craven. TPO will need keen system drawbars to close the gap, couplings direct to body don't cut mustard.

IMG_5763.jpg

• Like 2

B233 hauling local cement train waits on the inner down loop while B141 has scheduled stop at Woodvale junction platform 2. Behind is mixed goods train comprised of corrugated opens, CIE vans and a few Bell containers waiting on the inner up loop for the 10:42 express on route to Kingsbridge to pass it on platform 3. Circa 1972'ish :) 

IMG_5883.jpg

B141 coupled up to GSV 3185 gets the starter signal for the 10:44 to Ballygowhatsit, overtaking the local cement train hauled by B233 which is scheduled to depart at 10:51 assuming the block section is cleared on time.IMG_5881.jpg

Meanwhile back in the workshops work continues updating and weathering 25yo Bachmann goods wagons. Replacement wheels on order, mind you the older plastic Bachmann wheel sets had slightly shorter axles than their current metal wheel sets so a little fettling will be required on the plastic bearings when they arrive to get free running and avoid the chassis sides being pushed outwards. They metal axles are only 0.3mm longer, not much you might think but enough to make a difference.IMG_5877.jpg

On 4/27/2018 at 9:16 PM, popeye said:

Looking good, i think you are running out of room. 😎

Yes thanks, busy all right but I had much the stock moved up from level 1 to level 2 for Kadee test runs. Level 0 track doesn't exist yet but one day it might (i.e. single track branch line).

• Like 2

25yo Bachmann wagons converted to CIE mixed with 3D beat wagons, Bells and assorted stock. Close coupled thanks to Bachmann's 25yo design recently converted to kadee couplings. I found copies of the long defunct 'Signal Box' mail order invoices showing these wagons originally cost me £3.75ea. So far I've managed to convert the couplings on 33 wagons. Really pleased how well they are running being hauled or pushed.

IMG_5892.jpg

CIE Black'n'Tan era is nostalgia goldIMG_5898.jpg

Imaginary 1969IMG_5899.jpg

I love the way these old Bachmann wagons can run so well close coupled.IMG_5894.jpg

I lightly weathered these pair of baby GMs last winter. I have kadee couplings at one end and TLCs at the other so I can run them with converted and unconverted rolling stock for now.IMG_5900.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, jason brady said:

Bubbles are looking good on the cement train Noel. 

Cheer Jason. I've only one set of three cement wagons left to weather.  I'm debating if I should keep the last set pristine or weather them up.  Being pristine they kind of stick out like a sore thumb at the end of the rake.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Cheer Jason. I've only one set of three cement wagons left to weather.  I'm debating if I should keep the last set pristine or weather them up.  Being pristine they kind of stick out like a sore thumb at the end of the rake.

I can understand where your coming from Noel, they look that good the temptation is there to leave one or two as they are. Personally I'll be weathering mine as a complete rake, but that's just my preference. Everybody's different and their your models to run as you like. 

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Our Technicial Director weathered an orange bubble up today on his coffee break and it needs to be seen to be believed. They weather real welll if I do say so. Will snap it on Tuesday as Accurascale excitement took over today. 🙂

• 4 months later...

Recent GM 201 class number 201 arrived on the layout today for running trials. Yes I know I am a bit of a hypocrite as I have bemoaned this horrible livery on the prototype that's never really 'blown my skirt up'. :) But no 201 was the class leader and in a moment of weakness I succumbed to have one orange example, albeit will be confined to a display case rather than run on the layout because its out of my era. How did somebody in the marketing department ever think this livery was compatible with the mk2 and mk3 tippex coach liveries was always a mystery to me. :) Nonetheless it is a fine model and I'm glad to have one. Will be put in the queue for weathering this winter.

IMG_8046.jpg

B165 and 190 dangerously close. Close enough to wonder how a 201 fit into a Tardis and travel back from 1995 to 1973. May have to inoculate B165 and 190 against catching any nasty modern era infections from 201. :) (In jest, well a little)

IMG_8041.jpg

I confess I do like the current two tone green and grey livery on the 201 prototypes that haul the Dublin-Cork Mk4 sets. Hence an MM0222 is parked in a siding with a rake of orange mk2d's behind it. Two is enough though! :) I'll be roasted in the 'bogie of eternal stench' for allowing such modernity contaminate the layout. The plastic little people on the layout are quite put out.

Edited by Noel
lexdysia yet again
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Black'n'Tan heaven. @jhb171achill might like this.  The mail train arrives with CIE Brake Parcel Van 2542, TPO 2974, and GSV 3185 to keep the post office team nice and warm. Loose coupled goods train on platform 2 is waiting to be passed by the Limerick/Claremorris passenger working on the up loop.

These three coaches came out of the workbench workshops over the past year. Left to right, conversion of Bachmann LMS parcel van, IFM bogie TPO kit, LIMA BR mk1 BSK conversion.

IMG_8191.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...