Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

Just stunningly crisp photos :)

OK Boss - will try harder next time :) Slightly 'crisper' focus below despite poor light!

Newly commissioned 7078 with Lenz €25 decoder

DSC_7972.jpg

7078 shutdown for the night

DSC_7970.JPG

Used a camera this time! :) I just love 'playing' with model trains

Edited by Noel

Nice shots there Noel-how do you find the Lenz 25 decoder-are they any good?

Hi Noel

Thanks. Yes I've standardised on Lenz Silver+ 21pin (10321-01) for MM141/181/071/201 models that do not require sound. I sourced them in Germany for €25 from Kieskemper and amazon.de which is a better price than UK due currency hop and poor UK prices. Germany is the best place to source Lenz or ESU products at competitive euro prices.

The 10321-01 silver+ are 4 function decoders so operate the directional running lights and head lamp on MM locos, but won't operate both cab lights in 071/201 locos. Personally I don't use cab lights on my 071s anyway. F1 turns the directional running lights on and F2 turns the headlamp on. I really like the Lenz ultra smooth drive at low speed and usually change CV3 and CV4 to 15 for gentle acceleration and deceleration. One minor quirk with the default out-of-the box CV settings that I haven't had time to change is that the lights initially only switch on once the loco gets a throttle input, but after that the lights stay as commanded even when loco stops or remains stopped.

Cheers

Noel

PS: On sound I like both LokSound and Zimo, but for 141s I just love driving the newer Zimo sound project from Keith Pearson (MrSoundGuy). And one or two sound locos is enough for me, otherwise the sound is a confusing din! I also turn sound decoders volume right down to between 20-30%.

Hi Noel Thanks. Yes I've standardised on Lenz Silver+ 21pin (10321-01) for MM141/181/071/201 models that do not require sound. I sourced them in Germany for €25 from Kieskemper and amazon.de which is a better price than UK due currency hop and poor UK prices. Germany is the best place to source Lenz or ESU products at competitive euro prices. The 10321-01 silver+ are 4 function decoders so operate the directional running lights and head lamp on MM locos' date=' but won't operate both cab lights in 071/201 locos. Personally I don't use cab lights on my 071s anyway. F1 turns the directional running lights on and F2 turns the headlamp on. I really like the Lenz ultra smooth drive at low speed and usually change CV3 and CV4 to 15 for gentle acceleration and deceleration. One minor quirk with the default out-of-the box CV settings that I haven't had time to change is that the lights initially only switch on once the loco gets a throttle input, but after that the lights stay as commanded even when loco stops or remains stopped. Cheers Noel PS: On sound I like both LokSound and Zimo, but for 141s I just love driving the newer Zimo sound project from Keith Pearson (MrSoundGuy). And one or two sound locos is enough for me, otherwise the sound is a confusing din! I also turn sound decoders volume right down to between 20-30%.[/quote']

Thanks very much Noel-very useful and helpful information,I'll have to invest in one or two for my 071s-much appreciated,I must check out those websites.

Thanks very much Noel-very useful and helpful information,I'll have to invest in one or two for my 071s-much appreciated,I must check out those websites.

Your welcome. Btw, my typo mistake, The Lenz Silver+ are 5 function decoders hence they can operate one of the cab lights but not both. I really like their 'motor' drive characteristics and BEMF options which seem to suit MM centre drive chassis well. The €35 MM supplied ESU 6-fn LokPilot is a good chip too, but €10 more per loco. 141/181s only need 4 functions for the lights.

Manual here (German, English, French) http://www.digital-plus.de/pdf/GOLD_SILVER_plus_manual.pdf

• 1 month later...

Running trains this evening. Open freight loads. It never rains here. :)

IMG_7189.JPG

(posted earlier on other thread)

An imaginary 'knock special' scene - Newly arrived IFM Laminate in mixed rake of MM Cravens and IFM Park Royals. Need more figures from the Fr Ted set. :)

IMG_7182.jpg

Edited by Noel

• 11 months later...

Cement bubbles arrived on the layout today. Thanks to Dave Bracken (Wrenneire) for supplying. These were originally built, painted and skilfully weathered from MIR kits by George at http://www.wonderfulweathering.com Beautiful job, I am delighted to have some of his iconic work.

Really looking forward to adding IRM cement bubble wagons to these in due course.

IMG_9823.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Cement bubbles arrived on the layout today. Thanks to Dave Bracken (Wrenneire) for supplying. These were originally built, painted and skilfully weathered from MIR kits by George at http://www.wonderfulweathering.com Beautiful job, I am delighted to have some of his iconic work.

Really looking forward to adding IRM cement bubble wagons to these in due course.

IMG_9823.jpg

Very nice orange bubbles, Noel. I'll be waiting for the orange bubbles also

Amazing! Looks so realistic!

Thanks guys, but credit is really due to George for his building, painting and especially his weathering skills. A few more pics taken with a camera this time for some creative fun. I was surprised how much I liked the orange livery myself.

DSC_8818.jpg

These have really wet my appetite for IRMs wagons next year. Another 12 would make this a nice rake.

DSC_8811.jpg

PS: I know the signals are set wrong :)

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Well done Noel,the loco complements the bubble wagons very well, George done a fantastic job on them.

Thanks chaps for your encouraging comments. Looking forward to getting some work done on the layout over the winter months.

Your layout looks more and more like IE in the 80s. Love the pics , another good guy that can take pictures.

Thanks, 1980s? :) Apologies it was just a dream, I've woken up now and its back to the 60s.

Return of the empire - Black'n'tan strike back :)

DSC_8822.jpg

DSC_8823.jpg

DSC_8826.jpg

Edited by Noel

• 2 months later...

Extract of the main terminus station layout using Railmodeller Pro track planning software. The thread on track planning software inspired me to try and reverse engineer the track already laid into this Mac based track planning software. Spent 2 hours this evening learning how to use it and after figuring out a few quirks I quite like it. The flexitrack manipulation took a while to figure out

terminusB.jpg

Layout photos from a few years ago pre arrival of Irish rolling stock

DSC_6537.jpg

DSC_6526.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

I know someone with a scratch built Kingsbridge station building for sale...

Fran, the very same thought had occurred to me - not sure I left enough space for such a beautiful building as I had compressed the station track layout for model and poetic license purposes. :)

Anyway last nights 'doodling' with RailModeller Pro was fun but not to scale. However I found it so easy to use I have now redrawn the terminus station track plan to scale (i.e. see below matches the actual laid track).

Revised track plan reversed engineered from layout.

terminus_v400.jpg

Edited by Noel
Typo

Finally reverse engineered the track plan (see below). Using RailModeller Pro on MacBook. Quite impressed with the software once I figured out a few tricks and techniques. All the track has been laid except for the lower of the 3 levels (i.e. green). It will be Peco code 75 with electrofrog because of the 0-6-0 steam locos that are likely to run on it as well as 60s MM.

kingsbridge_482.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Few more pics of Christmas present rake of Bachmann oil wagons. Apologies for poor photo quality, very narrow focus DOF due low light, ISO 6400 hand held

Shell, BP and Esso - The Esso's are lightly factory weathered.

31967399116_5b9580d0b8_b.jpg

Late evening - Busy traffic pattern at the junction

31856554722_0397b54001_b.jpg

Old signal box is a Triang Rovex, H vans are 1970s Lima, B&T coach is a 70s hand painted old BR non corridor coach

32005217715_a1e43b419a_b.jpg

Close up of gentle factory weathering - apologies blurry photo.

31857153312_ce52e490aa_b.jpg

Edited by Noel