Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

Love the weathering, it does turn a plastic model into something more real.

You will learn as you do more.

BTW i believe that you can't mix thinners with acrylic paint, just use water.

Also with acrylic wash the airbrush with warm water.

Cheers Popeye, Apologies I meant to say acrylic thinners, which I have been using, which I understand is basically purified water with an agent to help it mix and flow. Noel

Ok so now that I am just beginning to learn how to use an airbrush, here is a fun respray project I am going to attempt. To make this Hornby Stanier coach look very vaguely like a CIE Bredin/Laminate in B&T livery

Dismantled

IMG_1309.jpg

Halfords plastic grey primer

IMG_1315.jpg

Now wait 48hr for it to really dry hard before attempting white band above windows,then finally black around the windows, and finally orange tumblehome, under frames and ends. And if I don't make a total hash of it, weathering. :) Fingers crossed.

Edited by Noel

It will look great in black'n'tan and would not be a million miles off the solitary Bredin all-first (was it No. 1900?). "Ordinary" Bredins tended to have loos / doors in the middle, so this is your 1st class!

That said, with several varieties of laminates, three versions of Bredins with two different side profiles, and several varieties - many further rebuilt - many further HEAVILY rebuilt - of the 1950/1/2 CIE Bredin design coaches, AND the fact that in that era barely two carriages were the same in most trains, the sky's the limit. Thus, a technically non-suthentic coach in CIE green or black'n'tan tends to fit very convincingly among a mish-mash of other types.

I was going through pictures over the weekend for the next book, which show the grey / green / silver era (let's coin a phrase; GGS era!), and not only is there this variety, it also extends (in the 50s) to the inclusion of all shapes, sizes and types of wooden carriages, from 1920s main line GSWR to late 1870s gas lit six wheelers of (mostly) GSWR or MGWR background.

One photo I looked at had a green Park Royal, a GSWR 6-wheeler (green, of course), a silver laminate (filthy despite newness), a filthy silver tin van and a green wooden (GSW) brake. Another had a 1905 GSWR branch line bogies third flanked by (on each end) a brand spanking new tin van!

For reasons too many to expound on here, few DSER types lasted long into CIE days. They were non-standard in many ways and decisions at Inchicore were very much GSW-biased! Also, the DSER was already short of stock, and many weren't in the best shape. Even the GSWR had flooded the Harcourt Street line with GSWR and MGWR stock.....

Kingsbridge Terminus is in its early stages with track and platforms laid out but unfinished. Today my 30 year collection of BR outline stock was repositioned to storage, and CIE/IE/IR Irish stock moved in.

View down platform 2 as train departs, with EGV stabled in platform 3 nearly 20 years later :)

IMG_1346.jpg

View down platforms 3 and 4. AEC driving trailer on P4, Craven set behind 141 on P5

IMG_1349.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Woohoo!!!! Superb stuff, weathering adds brilliant realism.

That's a weathering sample I cannot take credit for, the EGV was done by Graham's resprays from an inexpensive Galway livery EGV I bought which was first resprayed in IE livery and then weathered. Not sure if Seamus did it himself or one of his sub-contractors.

Lovely pic's, nice viewpoint. I like the railcar. :tumbsup:

The AEC is a John Hazleton piece which I bought just because I have fond childhood memories of them running out of Bray, and vague memories of being on one to Galway in the 60s, despite perhaps being out of place on our layout. This one will be pushed by a C class kit when I eventually get around to building it.

Only catching up with this thread now & very impressive work Noel, I'm watching your weathering advice very closely as I hope to start doing my own stock myself in the near future & it's interesting reading of your experiences starting off from a novice. I love your layout BTW! Best of luck with the weathering!!

Apologies for delay replying, catching up now.

Lovely pic's, nice viewpoint. I like the railcar. :tumbsup:

Hi popeye. Its an RTR Silver Fox model of an AEC converted to a driving trailer. I plan to use it with a C class push/pull and an MM 121 class push/pull which was rare but did happen.

Hi Noel those last two pictures look absolutely brilliant, well done!

Cheers Robbie. Early days with lots to do, but hopefully in the next year I will try to make proper custom platforms and make a pseudo Kingsbridge multiple pitched roof, but that is largely transparent for viewing the trains from above.

Nice , good to see Kingsbridge has staged its own Easter rising !!

Well it will always be a sort of place the time lord Dr Who visited concurrently in the 50s/60s/70s and even 90s, and even some occasional LMS & GWR visitors :) Forgive the 'revolutionary' pun and paradox, but B&T livery locos will rule Kingsbridge.

Fantastic Noel.Love the first pic of the Mk2 EGV it looks so realistic sitting under the roof.

Thanks Jason. I now need to darken and/or weather the orange on my other MM Mk2's to match it.

Only catching up with this thread now & very impressive work Noel, I'm watching your weathering advice very closely as I hope to start doing my own stock myself in the near future & it's interesting reading of your experiences starting off from a novice. I love your layout BTW! Best of luck with the weathering!!

Hi rebelred, thanks, but it did take me a few months before I got the courage to get moving and start trying the airbrush, fearing the stock I might ruin. So started trying out the airbrush on sheets of A4 paper, then track weathering which needs little precision and very forgiving, then some old Triang Hornby stock and bodies which I used as training donors, and then finally some stock I didn't want to make a mess of. Btw, I wouldn't take any advice from me, I'm a complete beginner, there are some talented and experienced 'masters' on here.

I found looking at lots of youtube videos and in particular reading RMweb threads on painting and weathering very informative. However I risked spending forever researching, especially with the hint of OCD I suffer, rather than just getting out the air brush and getting dirty. I had an irrational fear of destroying my airbrush by not cleaning it up properly. Richie kindly gave me a good head start about this time two years ago with an excellent airbrush demo session, and great advice on air brushes, compressors and paints, but it was only a few months ago before I finally put paint in the cup. I've made some major mess ups but can't learn with out taking a few risks and doing stuff. :) I've learned that I have a heck of a lot to learn, but loving the journey. Coach resprays will be the next big step up and then weather one of my B&T 141s (shudder). :)

Four more wagons arrived back from the workshop lightly weathered and sealed with matt varnish.

IMG_1458.jpg

I have about 10 more ore wagons to do, but tempted to try a wash/powders on a few of them instead of airbrush.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Back to the past! The thread on Ebay CIE brown van prompted me to dig this childhood memory out and pop it on the layout.

With actual opening doors this Triang-Hornby wagon had enough excitement to make a small boy faint :)

IMG_1539.jpg

Edited by Noel
Corrected by English Teacher Wrenneire
  • Like 1

I ended up gluing the doors shut on mine because they kept opening while the thing was hurtling round my layout at a scale 159 mph!

Pure sacrilege JB. :) It must have been hauled by the Lima class 33 CIE no 215 to manage such speeds.

Edited by Noel

Not good enough Noel, I think we will have to have Hons Eng as the standard from here on in?

feint1

feɪnt/

noun

a deceptive or pretended blow, thrust, or other movement, especially in boxing or fencing.
    "a brief feint at the opponent's face"[/color

verb

make a deceptive or distracting movement, especially during a fight.
    "Adam feinted with his right and then swung a left"

faint
    feɪnt/
    adjective
      (of a sight, smell, or sound) barely perceptible.
      "the faint murmur of voices"
      [TABLE=class: vk_tbl vk_gy]
      [TR]
      [TD=class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl]synonyms:[/TD]
      [TD]indistinct, vague, unclear, indefinite, ill-defined, obscure, imperceptible, hardly noticeable, hardly detectable, unobtrusive; More

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

[*]

[*]2.

feeling weak and dizzy and close to losing consciousness.

"the heat made him feel faint"

[TR]

[TD]dizzy, giddy, light-headed, muzzy, weak, weak at the knees, unsteady, shaky, wobbly, off-balance, reeling; More

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

verb

lose consciousness for a short time because of a temporarily insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain.
      "I fainted from loss of blood"
      [TR]
      [TD]pass out, lose consciousness, fall unconscious, black out, collapse; More

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

noun

a sudden loss of consciousness.
      "she hit the floor in a dead faint"
      [TR]
      [TD]blackout, fainting fit, loss of consciousness, collapse; More

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Not good enough Noel, I think we will have to have Hons Eng as the standard from here on in?

Dave, As Fr Jack might say "Ar*e Biscuits". Combine my Lexdysia with iPad productive tipping and its a total precipicey for daysaster. :) Neol

Edited by Noel

Pure sacrilege JB. :) It must have been hauled by the Lima class 33 CIE no 215 to manage such speeds.

I know! It was hauled by super-high-speed 0.4.0 "Polly". Anyone remember that?

Never mind your oul Mallard. The "Polly" could run so fast that it derailed on curves and threw itself off the layout on one occasion!

Short video clip (phone) of late 60s, early 70s CIE goods train with 23 wagons many recently weathered lightly. Wagons are a mix of converted Bachmann GWR/LMS vans, Lima vans, BR mineral wagons (poetic license), cattle wagon, MIR cements, IFM beat + brake van, and Valve design 3D beat wagons on Dapol chassis.

Initially I didn't like the 3D beats at all, but now they are painted and weathered @ €33ea finished on Dapol RTR chassis they don't look too bad considering the compromises and errors, and personally pass my 'duck test'. I have weathered about 10 other wagons, so now time to move on to some loco kits and more passenger resprays.

• 4 weeks later...

Video Clip: CIE 121 class no B121 operational trials on layout today leading consist with B181. B121 is a Shapeways 3D print on an Athearn chassis. Detailing to be completed in due course. I just could not resist a little 'play' session with this new loco earlier today. Now I'm going to have to weather B181 :)

Video

Lightly weathered in consist with B181. It will take another few weeks to finish detailing.

IMG_1850.jpg

Holes drilled in front and sides ready for hand rails and guard rails

IMG_1859.jpg

Replacement bogies sides are in paint shop and will be replaced in a week or so.

IMG_1860.jpg

May I take this opportunity to thank those on here who gave me advice, tips and encouragement over the past few months, and in particular one of the forums most talented 'master model engineers' Richie (Glenderg) for the time he generously gave me two years ago on air brush painting, advice on recommended equipment and paints, and general modelling tips.

Edited by Noel
PhotoBucket were Plonkers - Bye bye!
  • Like 1

Lovely job Noel, very neat crisp finish, well done TDR:tumbsup:

That looks mega for sometime that was a 3D print. Fair play.

That really is a fantastic job on that 121 3D printed body..

I am really chuffed to have a 121 on the layout, especially in Black'n'Tan livery. :)

Thanks for kind comments guys but most of the credit is due to 'Rail 3D Prints' (Jack) / Shapeways, I just did the painting and fitted a chassis. The 3D body shell cost €54 when I bought it 18 months ago, but I see the cost has since gone up. It was worth it to have a half decent looking 121. In general I still have some reservations about 3D printing for 00 gauge, but in this case the quality was very good and it turned out better than I had dreamed. I did spend some time rubbing down surfaces post primer to make it even smoother, but it was pretty good as supplied. The structure was also rigid enough and did not warp.

I am really impressed with the running quality of the Athearn SW1500 chassis which fitted with minimal bodging. She can run over Peco insulfrog points and crossings at slow speeds without stalling or juddering, a very smooth slow speed runner, yet can easily haul a rake of 8 coaches or 20 wagons due chassis weight. It was worth sacrificing the superb US body shell to have an Irish B121. Spent ages yesterday playing trains on the layout. :)

Now trying to shape wire hand rails and guard rails using lengths of wire from Eileens Emporium.

Edited by Noel

• 2 weeks later...

C class B233 video clip of chassis trials today on the layout (work in progress). Silverfox kit paired with a Bachmann/MM 141 chassis. The 141 chassis was a near perfect fit with minor modification needed. I will replace the bogie sides later this week once the chassis trials are ok.

When I started out the 141 donor chassis was destined for a 121 project which would have required a major cut'n'shut to shorten the metal chassis, so I completely dismantled the chassis, which proved unnecessary as I decided to use it in the C class instead. However putting 'humpty dumpty' back together again proved quite difficult and I misplaced one of the motor shims which is causing a slight vibration and noise that I will have to rectify. Initial tests suggest sacrificing the 141 to get a good quality AWD/AWP centre drive chassis for the C class was worth it for slow speed running quality and shunting of loose coupled goods wagons. It will need more work to finish.

• Like 2