Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OO Works J15 arriving at Woodvale junction hauling the 17:45 express from Kingsbridge.

IMG_8949.jpg

I love the Absolutely beautiful J15 and she is a super smooth runner well able to crawl at low speed over insulfrog points and yet haul six 62ft coaches with ease. Will convert to DCC, apply transfers and weather in due course. Hope this photo doesn't cause @jhb171achill to faint. B&T + J15 in one photo may be too much nostalgia. Now I'll have to kit bash some six wheelers from the Tri-Ang era.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

I’ve got through half of my months’ supply of smelling salts looking at that picture!

As a result, I will be voluntarily returning to the Home for the Bewildered, Insane, and Imbecilic.

When my own package arrives from 00 Works, I’m afraid I’ll need more medication......!

Congrats to Roderick & Co at 00 Works! 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, banntry said:

Much dribble over the J15- ruined two jumpers already! It certainly looks a great model.

I could PM you a bib :) This 0-6-0 proves a very reliable and smooth runner with excellent power pickup running slowly over insulfrog Peco points without any hesitation nor jerking. I suspected 0-6-0 would be a safer bet for a good running steam model. Very happy and fortunate to have one of these.

IMG_8958.jpg

@jhb171achill this has to be boxed up wrapped and put under the tree before I’m allowed do any work on it. :( doh. 

Edited by Noel
because
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Irish Rail Intercity Mk4 stock arrived on layout Yesterday. Got a few of these resprays from Chris Dyer by post and very happy with them. Kadee couplings replaced the large Hornby plastic ones moulded into the bogies. No NEM pockets on these so a little fettling was required (video clip and thread posted earlier of conversion). OK they are not proper CAFs but very decent resprays of Hornby BR Mk4 coaches which more than admirably pass the 'duck test' for me. My layout my rules as they say. This photo is impossible with 1960s formations in back ground and modern era coach in foreground that is too long to fit inside the tardis so time travel not possible to explain this photo, but It's fun operating the paradox of these two eras side by side. My fellow 1960s B&T club members may sentence me to "rot forever in the bogie of eternal stench" for polluting the layout with such modernity, especially did by side with B141 and B121. The LLP on the layout are quite vexed and put out by the arrival of intercity services, but at least they are loco hauled/pushed and not ICR DMUs (for which the LPP and B&T club might hang draw and quarter me should such boring  aliens  ever invade the layout).

IMG_9812.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Noel said:

Irish Rail Intercity Mk4 stock arrived on layout Yesterday. Got a few of these resprays from Chris Dyer by post and very happy with them. Kadee couplings replaced the large Hornby plastic ones moulded into the bogies. No NEM pockets on these so a little fettling was required (video clip and thread posted earlier of conversion). OK they are not proper CAFs but very decent resprays of Hornby BR Mk4 coaches which more than admirably pass the 'duck test' for me. My layout my rules as they say. This photo is impossible with 1960s formations in back ground and modern era coach in foreground that is too long to fit inside the tardis so time travel not possible to explain this photo, but It's fun operating the paradox of these two eras side by side. My fellow 1960s B&T club members may sentence me to "rot forever in the bogie of eternal stench" for polluting the layout with such modernity, especially did by side with B141 and B121. The LLP on the layout are quite vexed and put out by the arrival of intercity services, but at least they are loco hauled/pushed and not ICR DMUs (for which the LPP and B&T club might hang draw and quarter me should such boring  aliens  ever invade the layout).

IMG_9812.jpg

The end of the coach that is always next to the locomotive has no gangway connection-it is blanked off,

Thanks very much for the kadee  conversion-it is something I need to complete on my own set-and is a useful tutorial

• Informative 1

DCC Consist of three steam locos running together light engine. These were converted to DCC some years ago before I started the process of converting the layout from BR Steam era to Irish CIE 1960s B&T era. I still have a soft spot for toy steam trains and hope to operate some on the layout thanks to J15s and MM Woolwich's.

EAST MEETS WEST - LMS Invade CIE rails

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Cement Pallet train waits on the up line inner loop up line at Woodvale junction while the early morning mail train over takes it on the express outer loop. Mixed pickup goods trains waits on P2 outer down line loop while B165 overtakes it running light engine on route to Claremorris to join B188 assisting with a returning 14 coach knock special pilgrims train. B141 station pilot in background waits to move Taras into sidings clearing the road to the shed for the goods train can drop off a pair of vans.

IMG_9951.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

An hour later 088 arrives on the up inner loop hauling a local service passing the Cement Pallet train which is still waiting for a pathway to Heuston yard. 088's buffer beam with the MM detail bits looks a lot better. I've never fitted these bits before to an MM loco, just valances to a few baby GMs.

IMG_9955.jpg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, popeye said:

Very nice, i like the weathering.:tumbsup:

Cheers. A most enjoyable Saturday afternoon. It’s tiring though cause it takes time, can’t be rushed, and I’ve had to learn patience. :) as well as 182 managed to lightky weather 229 also

229_Weathering.jpg

Addimg the detailing kits to 182 and 229 nearly too as much time as the painting, eyes and fingers brain dead by the time I’d finished. 

Edited by Noel
Potyp
  • Like 3

Imagine its 2040. East meets west as Preserved 182 in Supertrain livery is double heading with preserved B&T Livery B165 hauling an RPSI heritage rake of CAF mk4 coaches. Time travel is possible on my layout, my rules! E=MC**4. RPSI decided not to bother preserving any 22k class as they might not be able to sell any tickets for rail tours.

IMG_0102.jpg

Time Travel back to 1974 182+B165 double head the early morning mail trainIMG_0103.jpg

182 waits with a local train in the up line passing loop. The attraction of ST livery is it overlapped and co-existed with B&T era liveries for quite some years.

IMG_0108.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Noel, I enjoyed all the pages so far, and clearly as did all the other modellers by the comments they left, it great to see the many model layouts in this section that developed over time, so many seem to start then dissolve to no more pages. and since i been on site you have contributed to my knowledge with chat and answers to my posts/questions, so thanks

clearly you enjoy you layout ,  the space you have is amazing,  your weathering is developing so well, it gives hope to us newbees who have it all ahead of us, something tangible to aim for.

i love this pic, and esp' the pallet, base board, thats so honest for a Rolexman.  as for the GM 201 class number 201, as your layout is so large, its speed will suit it perfectly. it may even take off up the rising line like the Delorian car in the Back to the Future movie and end up in 1972.

DSC_6545.jpg&key=22222d48fa68071da32a5a5

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yea, Fert wagons arrived in the post this morning. Beautiful wagons, classic. They run free as a bird (ie not a hint SAS). These seem the best yet from team IRM. Nice touch leaving the couplings off in an accessory bag. Makes fitting Kadee's quicker and easier. 👍 

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fertiliser wagons got a running session today. Pleased to report they ran free and well. Only got the first two weathered so far, six more to do. Baby GM MM0182 was easily able to haul the rake of 8 fertiliser wagons. Ran well over some complex paintwork formations in forward and reverse.

8 Fertiliser wagons passing through woodvale junctions express loop as the ballygowhatsit pickup goods train waits on platform 2. Taras in the background and a further infestation of modern containers behind stabled in woodvale goods yard.

IMG_4896.jpg

First two weathered six more to do

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

Edited by Noel
Lexdysia
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

More 2 axle wagon stock arrives. The glory days of CIE good traffic serving every station in the land daily. Even one flying snail snuck in.

IMG_5346.thumb.jpeg.657ad348e73f7bcfc80f36a031843a71.jpeg

A new rake of 2 axle CIE goods wagons arrive, donors from Dapol. Fairburn 2-6-4 to be re-liveried to RPSI in due course (thanks to Dave Bracken for the tip). Kettle in foreground is 00 Works J15. Both of these steam locos have LokSound 5.

IMG_5356.thumb.jpeg.f5d0d9906096e723a89900cdda94cfd2.jpeg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Kingsbridge Shed kind of 1965 (imagining Kingsbridge had its own shed instead of inchicore). CIE golden era Black'n'Tan heaven before uniform trains spoiled everything. Thank you Murphy Models for producing 5 B&T livery locos (141, 165, 181, 188 and 141A). Soon to be joined by MM 121's in black'n'tan and delivery grey/yellow livery.

IMG_5520.jpg

Some tippex time travellers in the background

IMG_5513.jpg

Black'n'Tan livery heaven

IMG_5523.jpg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1