Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

Cheers guys. B233 is really an MM/Bachmann 141 with a C class body on it. No sound yet Popeye, what you heard was a 181 pilot in the background waiting to shunt. :) Might post a clip of it later hauling IRM ballasts. Now have to turn my attention to finishing B121.

• 4 weeks later...

B121 hauling GAA special from Ballygowhatsit to Waterford in simulated 1963 old film footage. :) Wagon at the rear carrying spare hurleys and six milk churns.

Reworked iMovie version using multiple effects filters and silent movie style sound tracks

• 2 months later...

Some new rolling stock arrived on layout today. Bell 20ft containers. I decided to try a pair before investing in a rake. The 20ft Bell containers are from C-Rail and the container flats are Irish Freight Models 2 axle skeletal wagons. Personally I like the way short wheel base container rakes look on layout curves. 20ft containers straddle the era between loose coupled pickup freight and modern era uniform bogie freight, and could be found in mixed rakes with goods vans and open wagons. 1968-1972 yummie era.

B121 shunts two 20ft Bell Container wagons

IMG_2792.jpg

Bell 20ft Containers from C-Rail. Love the detail on these containers and they look right at home on the 20ft two axle container flats.

IMG_2793.jpg

B121 waits to enter the goods sidings after the morning goods train to Kingsbridge has departed and freed the road. B141 hauling a ballast load passes in the up line loop.

IMG_2790.jpg

Some early morning traffic out west at the junction.

IMG_2831.jpg

Note the opaque cab windows on B141. This was caused by spraying rattle can varnish on wagons in the same room last spring. The B141 was about 8 feet behind me at the time well away from the spray area.

Seems to have clouded quite badly Noel.Strange to see that type of damage considering the distance involved.

I was using a Humbrol 49 Matt Acrylic Varnish rattle can to seal some wagons I had painted and applied transfers to. I used a portable spray booth with an extractor fan directed towards an open window but not ducted out the window. I suspect the fan was the culprit as it probably recirculated some of the varnish into the room despite the dense fan filter. The 141 was about 8 feet behind me in the same room, and the two cravens that were also affected on one side but not as badly. I suspect this might not have happened had I used the airbrush and perhaps also left the fan off.

Lesson learned. solomen.gif Since then I always spray varnish in a shed or outdoors if its dry and warm.

Edited by Noel
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Some more 20ft Bell containers have arrived on the layout. Hope to build up a reasonable rake of these typical of the early 70s, but keep one wagon separate to tag on to the end of a mixed rake of pickup goods wagons (i.e. like the train pictured in Gort station circa 1970 on Rails Through the West). These are mounted on RTR skeletal container wagons from IFM. Might try a few kits during the winter.

IMG_2966.jpg

Hope to lightly weather these during the winter. Will also follow Richie's advice to put a very light dusting of weathering powder on the ballast wagon loads.

IMG_2965.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at videos of GSWR 101 class J15s and came across this film footage.

Holy moly my painting experiment wasn't a million miles off the mark - Black and Grey laminates - and a few seconds later Black'n'Green laminates. Look at 1m57s into video.

It seems some coaches actually had this livery for a short while and even green and black (see film clip above)

IMG_1427.jpg

• Like 1

The 'grey' looks more like a very faded orange to me - there's definitely a hint of pink to it in that footage. The green/black variation appears to be on RPSI coaches which were pressed into service before their repaints were complete, a bit like the Cravens coach which was running around with green on its sides more recently...

The 'grey' looks more like a very faded orange to me - there's definitely a hint of pink to it in that footage. The green/black variation appears to be on RPSI coaches which were pressed into service before their repaints were complete, a bit like the Cravens coach which was running around with green on its sides more recently...

Thanks for posting that Noel. All sorts of interesting coaches on that clip. I wouldn't trust the color rendition entirely on the clip as you know. It is always frustrating to see this old color footage with such poor quality such was the technology of the time.

Cheers. I think Patrick's explanation make sense. These were probably coaches that were mid way through repaints. Some nice footage of ex-GSWR 184 (J15) in operation though, and in all black livery with a flying snail on the larger tender! :)

Noel, that's a totally mega video, lots of very interesting items on it, not to mention the loco 184 of course, but wagons as well, thanks for posting. Now tell me this if you can, is it my imagination or what but are the flying snails on the coaches 1st & 3rd when you get to 2.16 got the snails the wrong way around!!! Many thanks

Paul

Cheers. Some nice footage of ex-GSWR 184 (J15) in operation though, and in all black livery with a flying snail on the larger tender! :)

For the record, that paint scheme on 184 was a short-lived RPSI "makey-up" one. Snails on steam locos were never, ever yellow - only the gold-lined light green, and no J15s were ever black except in GSWR pre-1915 condition.

Superb video.

The RPSI simply painted green over the orange - never intended as a livery as such, but simply a stop-gap measure. I think about 3 carriages were like that in traffic.

None were ever grey and black, unless one went out once in undercoat, possibly.

Videos are notoriously bad at depicting colour, with much very distorted.

Snails 🐌 were often incorrectly applied by the RPSI. "Reverse" snails, that is with the upper part pointing right, were only put on the offside of buses and STEAM locos. Nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

RPSI Craven coaches arrived on the layout today. hyper.gif couldn't wait to unbox them for a play session.

IMG_3144.jpg

These are superbly finished coaches, as expected right up to Murphy Model standards.

IMG_3143.jpg

I hope to respray some of my MM tippex cravens (IE) the same livery over the winter to make up an RPSI rake. I have enough single stripe CIE cravens for the B&T era so happy to lose a few IE ones to RPSI livery.

• 2 weeks later...

Busy early morning goods traffic at Kingsbridge's Woodvale Junction. B121 about to depart with some empty beat wagons and a few vans, as 190 arrives hauling recently acquired IRM cement bubble wagons.  B188 and B165 recently weathered with a heavy rake of IRM ballast wagons waits for the road  to clear while a fuel train behind overtakes the slower ballast train on the down loop.

IMG_3409.jpg

Later B121 double heads with 190 to haul a heavy train of IRM cement traffic in that era when B&T and Supertrain livery co-existed for some years.

IMG_3405.jpg

B188 + B165 wait as another Irish Cement train pulls into the up loop in preparation for being passed by an express passenger service on the up through road.

IMG_3411.jpg

I'm just loving this hobby once again.  Choo choo!!!  :trains:

• Like 2

On 31/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, Warbonnet said:

Weathering looks good Noel, reckon they're the first ones treated as such!

Cheers Fran.  I had to pause and take a very deep breath before I dared to touch such beautifully pristine models, but a bit like skiing you don't hang around at the top of a black run, you just go over the edge before you get a chance to think too much about it, likewise I thought if I didn't start weathering the wagons that night I might never.  I have to say again its the thanks to the kindness of Richie two years ago when he gave me some time on an air brush demonstration and shared his knowledge, that both gave the inspiration and courage to have a go (and risk making the odd mess, but thats when you learn the most).

On 31/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, John-r said:

Fair play Noel, weathering looks very tasty.  Don't know if I have the cohones to do that just yet. You have really immersed yourself into air brushing and scratch building with great results,. well done.

Thanks John.  But I have to credit others in this community who have shown the way by just getting on with it with various modelling jobs instead of talking too much about it.  I've learned so much from others on here.  Others have inspired action.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope to respray some of my MM tippex cravens (IE) the same livery over the winter to make up an RPSI rake. I have enough single stripe CIE cravens for the B&T era so happy to lose a few IE ones to RPSI livery.

At the time the RPSI Cravens were released, the RPSI said they intended releasing another set later, with different running numbers, to enable modellers to run a full rake. This release was dependant on the first release being a success...which I think it's safe to say, it was...  So, it might be worth holding off on the respray for a while, to see.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aclass007 said:

At the time the RPSI Cravens were released, the RPSI said they intended releasing another set later, with different running numbers, to enable modellers to run a full rake. This release was dependant on the first release being a success...which I think it's safe to say, it was...  So, it might be worth holding off on the respray for a while, to see.....

Hi @aclass007, I agree, I will gladly rethink that one.  If RPSI do produce three more coaches next autumn, they will be worth waiting for with a much better paint job than a respray.  Happy to sit this one out :)  Now the question is, eventually when finished do I paint the GSV on the bench CIE single stripe B&T, or all over RPSI blue as 3185 is detained for?

I wonder how soon the repaint of 3185 will happen? My concern would be that if you went ahead and painted the model before the prototype was completed, you might end up with an inaccuracy. That mightn't be so bad if the prototype isn't going to be done for another couple of years, but it would be disheartening to have to alter the livery almost as soon as you had applied it......

On 21/11/2017 at 9:07 PM, aclass007 said:

I wonder how soon the repaint of 3185 will happen? My concern would be that if you went ahead and painted the model before the prototype was completed, you might end up with an inaccuracy. That mightn't be so bad if the prototype isn't going to be done for another couple of years, but it would be disheartening to have to alter the livery almost as soon as you had applied it......

Yes I do see the risk alright.  I understand the prototype could be at least 3-4 years away.  RPSI may refurb 3185 with an all over blue livery, or blue and cream.  If I went with the all blue livery it would be easier to add the cream later if RPSI went that way.  I'm tempted to just do something different or imaginary. :) I have two more GSV's in the pipeline, one will be maroon 3173, so the other could be B&T.

If you're doing two others in prototypical colours, by all means do something different or imaginary with the third! Who knows, maybe your livery will inspire the RPSI, when the time comes to paint 3185..... Life imitating art, and all that...  :)  Looking at the photos of you build so far, I'm sure they're going to look good! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fairwell to my two DC block section control panels.  Since moving to DCC these have become redundant.  I've only two wires connected from the NCE controller to the layout via these and have had all section switches left on.  I don't have any droppers, just  a pair of wires for each of four block sections on each loop.  Back in the days when I made these I had 'push to make' switches at the end of the 5 termini platforms so if I got distracted a train could never hit the buffers. :) These had the old 'relco' track cleaners, but DCC seems just as good at keeping track clean.

DSC_6528.jpg

DSC_6529.jpg

And this from a hobby electronics mag in 1977 - inertia control - I thought I was on Star Trek

IMG_4162.jpg

Edited by Noel

Running trials for the pseudo CIE Laminate (Hornby Stanier) respray I did last spring behind B121.

IMG_3810.jpg

Ride height is a little high.  Have already remounted bogies closer to chassis, will have to take another 1.5mm off the ride height.

B121 (3D + Athern chassis) hauls local train

IMG_3808.jpg

A nice little local passenger train.  Dutch heating van, Laminate and Bulleid luggage van.

IMG_3812.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1