Kingsbridge - old new layout

Rate this topic

Noel

. . . and stock, lot's of it to run on it as well . . .

Thanks BTB. Glad you like the video. I've been collecting BR outline stock for over 45 years, but delighted to have got some proper Irish trains running instead of the GWR, LMS and LNER stuff I've collected over the years. Paddy Murphy's stunning GM locos and coaches was the trigger that got me back into this wonderful hobby this year.

Looks and sounds great Noel, I'm looking forward to seeing your layout progress.

Cheers guys - I'm hoping to progress the scenery over the next 4 months. There is a danger I might spend too much time 'playing' with it instead of working on it. Some wiring to be tidied up, and few more DCC power drops, a bit of wiring on the upper level so I can switch it to DC to run-in locos, and also run old stock that I won't convert to DCC. I have a lot to learn still about all the new techniques and materials that have emerged in the past 20 years. Some of the scenic work, modelling, painting and weathering work by forumites that I have seen on this site is simply inspiring.

I am also in awe at what DCC has enabled in terms of layout operation, and DCC sound has me hooked like a baby on hot milk.

PS: Yes I have a weakness for long trains, just very very fortunate to have the space for them.

Edited by Noel

I like the descriptions along with the sound. Just noticing how quiet your layout running is. You probably have considered what way you will apply ballast to the track. I did mine with PVA onto the baseboard and has resulted in very noisy running. Copydex has been suggested rather than PVA, see some views here.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29517

Looking forward to seeing the scenery been added.

I like the descriptions along with the sound. Just noticing how quiet your layout running is. You probably have considered what way you will apply ballast to the track. I did mine with PVA onto the baseboard and has resulted in very noisy running. Copydex has been suggested rather than PVA, see some views here.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29517

Looking forward to seeing the scenery been added.

Thanks, quiet was an objective. Everything is a compromise. My last layout (40 years ago) was ballasted directly onto baseboard and it rumbled like a banshee. I vowed never again would I lay track directly onto a baseboard. When I was laying the track on this layout I used foam underlay with the intention that in the future I might either a) border it and fill the centre with ballast material, or b) replace it with some sort of sound proof underlay that could take glued ballast later. The advantage of using foam underlay initially was that I could make tweaks to track layout easily and get trains running while I started the scenery. That was 20 years ago before the big 16 year pause from the hobby! :) The foam underlay has proven stable, UV proof, and did not deteriorate over those 20 years. I'm going to leave it for now and concentrate on the landscape scenery, and do some experiments with options a) and b) above in the mean time.

Short term to do list

• Finish DCC wiring conversion - add extra drops to dead sections such as sidings and passing loops.
  • Convert some more of my BR Steam locos to DCC with stay-alive for the 0-6-0s
  • Paint sealant on visible sections of baseboard
  • Replace three broken points (children's football landed on layout 10 years ago)
  • Landscape shaping - foam insulation blocks cut with hot wire covered in plaster cloth (i.e. instead of yesteryear chicken wire + paper mach method)
  • Landscape covering with scatter + may try some static grass
  • Elevated track beside terminus - brick arch panels
  • Clip on backscene sections using combination of my own photos and some Peco back scene papers (election poster board material)
  • Replace existing plastic modular platforms in terminus with custom built platforms
  • Finish 3 road scratch built loco shed in terminus
  • Start a scratch built roof for the terminus instead of existing curved peco sample roof
  • Install point motors - use lever switches instead of DCC (i.e. for ease of use, tactile feel, and visual feedback)

Long term list

• Replace existing form underlay ballast with sound insulated ballast
  • Signalling
  • Start building lower layout (i.e. level 0 on inside). Single line branch loop using code 75 rail connected to mid level 1 at existing Ashford junction trough station

Don't know why I am typing this level of detail which will most likely be boring for others, but it may act as both a memo to myself, and also prompt me to keep going. :) Apologies for verbal waste. :)

DCC Sound is awesome, but there are some slow trains that sound better without it, just the sound of many wheels slowly rumbling on rails as slow freight traffic passes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After the Hymek post of ebay thread I searched the attic and found my old Hornby CIE train set from mid 70s, Hymek + 2 x Mk2a/b's - hideous models by todays standards and that day glow fluorescent orange plastic on the coaches turns my stomach now, but in 1976 I thought these were the bees knees! :) How our expectations have changed - Thanks to PM

DSC_6863.jpg

While in the attic I found a box of my old figures which escaped to the Irish platforms in the hope of getting trains to the BR outline end of the layout :) The BR steam locos caused great confusion amongst waiting passengers!

DSC_6876.jpg

Edited by Noel

• 3 weeks later...

Foam hot wire cutters has arrived, a supply of foam insulation board and plaster cloth ready to start work on embankments and sections of landscaping over the Christmas break.

GMs - detailing yet to be added after speakers installed.

DSC_6930.jpg

I have become a fan of operating GM pairs - consists

DSC_6928.jpg

Newest arrival 'Dargle River'

DSC_6912.jpg

Hopefully the background of this photo will look a little better in a few weeks time when its greened up a little.

DSC_6926.jpg

Edited by Noel

Looks good Noel, I love double heading the baby GM's. Also love the 222, I'm not a fan of the 201's but I do like that livery and must get one. Looking forward to seeing the scenery develop. It will ad a whole new dimension to your layout.
Hi Dave. Like you I'm not a fan of real 201s, but I do like that livery and we've travelled quite a bit behind green/silver 201s in mk4s since our RTA a few years ago, so had to get one and very glad I did. Looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting stuck into making a start on the scenery in the next few weeks. But for me the baby GMs double heading is what they did so well on passenger and freight work and look great on the scaled down confines of a layout. Noel Edited by Noel

• 4 weeks later...

Noel, firstly what a fabulous layout, locos and carraiges, one day when I get my backside off the couch.....Can I ask, I presume the black and tan A class is an SF model, what type of chip did you put into it and did you have to adjust any of the CV settings? Also how long did you have to wait for the SF model, Im considering getting one this year.

Noel, firstly what a fabulous layout, locos and carraiges, one day when I get my backside off the couch.....Can I ask, I presume the black and tan A class is an SF model, what type of chip did you put into it and did you have to adjust any of the CV settings? Also how long did you have to wait for the SF model, Im considering getting one this year.

Hi Alan. Yes it is an SF purchased direct as an RTR. Delivery was about 8 weeks as promised. The gentle weathering was included for the list price, and the Hornby decoder was fitted for an extra £20 to the Hornby chassis during build by John in SF. I haven't had time to play around with CVs yet as it's just out of the box, so only changed its address to 20 for a quick test run, but I expect to reduce CV5 to reduce the top speed, and also give a little more inertia using CV3 & CV4 so make it less responsive to throttle changes. Initial test run last night was it ran well on the Hornby class 55 chassis running slowly over Peco code 100 insulfrog points without any stalling. Over all I am pleased with the model which is a vast improvement on my Lima 'A class' locos which were repainted BR class 33s. Its not up to MM standards of detail, but for a resin body it ticks all my boxes for now and looks well with my CIE coaching stock. All the best. Noel.

PS: I also ordered a weathered Dutch GSV in Black and Tan livery which looks great with Cravens or Park Royals.

Thanks for that Noel, do you know which type of hornby decoder was fitted? the reason I ask is I got a class C two years ago and initially fitted a bachmann decoder, it kangrooed around the track. I changed to a hornby and it is ok but not good at slow running (when compared to an MM). I would be interested in how you get on with the CV settings and what values you assign to them. My class C has issues over insulfrog points (its not all wheel pick up and has traction rubbers, is your class A all wheel).

• 3 weeks later...

This gently weathered Dutch GSV arrived this week from Silverfox. I am pleased with it (please no slagging match like the A class thread).

IMG_4818.jpg

PS: By coincidence I also spotted a Dutch GSV for sale on ebay today by IFM (see ebay thread).

Edited by Noel

Hi Alan. Yes it is an SF purchased direct as an RTR. Delivery was about 8 weeks as promised. The gentle weathering was included for the list price, and the Hornby decoder was fitted for an extra £20 to the Hornby chassis during build by John in SF. I haven't had time to play around with CVs yet as it's just out of the box, so only changed its address to 20 for a quick test run, but I expect to reduce CV5 to reduce the top speed, and also give a little more inertia using CV3 & CV4 so make it less responsive to throttle changes. Initial test run last night was it ran well on the Hornby class 55 chassis running slowly over Peco code 100 insulfrog points without any stalling. Over all I am pleased with the model which is a vast improvement on my Lima 'A class' locos which were repainted BR class 33s. Its not up to MM standards of detail, but for a resin body it ticks all my boxes for now and looks well with my CIE coaching stock. All the best. Noel.

PS: I also ordered a weathered Dutch GSV in Black and Tan livery which looks great with Cravens or Park Royals.

Bear in mind that if it has the standard Hornby decoder you won't be able to adjust CV5. Basic Hornby decoders offer very little adjustment, CV's 2, 5 or 6 can't be changed.

Bear in mind that if it has the standard Hornby decoder you won't be able to adjust CV5. Basic Hornby decoders offer very little adjustment, CV's 2, 5 or 6 can't be changed.
Thanks IT. I'll probably put a spare Lenz silver in it when I get time to open it up and add lights. Noel

• 2 months later...

Update. I put a Lenz silver+ decoder in her and she now runs a lot better.

• 1 month later...

Supertrain EGV arrived today from Marks sale. The model has some small flaws but not as bad as I had feared nor some of the rumours suggested.

€46 in the sale made it attractive, however had it cost €56 I might not have been as content. Looks ok behind IE/IR Mk2d's. I understand some IR/IE tippex rakes ran with ST livery EGVs for a period before they were all repainted.

IMG_5284.JPG

The colour is 100% identical to the IE/IR livery. The roof ends are very slightly separating from the body but easily tacked down with super glue. The black lining is straight but the edges are not sharp and have very slightly fuzzy edges. The black band wrapping around the coach ends narrows slightly instead of remaining parallel with the black bands on the edges. But these are not obvious and survive the 3ft viewing rule.

I have to decide now to either leave it as is, or spray tip-pex white lines on it which will eliminate the fuzzy black edges.

Edited by Noel

Inspired by recent visit to Glenderg's workbench, I have decided the EGV will need to be resprayed.

You're doing a total respray after your visit with Richie? I did notice that the orange color on the ST EGV wraps round onto the back of the coach and I was wondering what you were going to do with that. Tranfers seem to the the way to go for the white lines

Edited by DiveController
typo

• 3 months later...

The superb photo on the 071 loco-080 thread thread inspired me to unbox and chip 7078 today and pop it on the layout. The layout has been a bit neglected during the summer break, but hopefully now tooled up with foam, plaster and static grass tools will make some progress this winter.

7078 unboxed today from Mark's earlier summer sale

IMG_6485.JPG

7078 pulling a rake of mineral wagons

IMG_6488.JPG

Notice how different the white balance effects the colour of the yellow panel in the two photos!!!

Edited by Noel