Westland Row & The Arches

Rate this topic

Billycan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments.  Have been asked if there are any more.  Well, that was one of two.  It was a PowerPoint presentation converted to video with some video clips added to see how that worked.  The second is some video minutes of a mock-up scene edited into one video to see how that works. Uses 3 trains, A DART, ammonia tankers and some Mark's Models coaches.  Pleased with how it ends.

Edited by Billycan
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.4c0becfee0a55b73579666a69fa893c0.png

THE TURRET STAIR GRAFFITI

Five apprentices – Squirtcan and Mugs McInTaggart with spray cans in hand, the Brown twins and Spiffy Quinn, all from the Fine Decoration and Paint Shop at WR&A have tried their hand at graffiti painting and ghost imaging at THE ARCHES.  They are seen here surveying their handywork.  They call the main image A Meeting on a Turret Stair, styled after the much loved Irish masterpiece.  The grey ghost, who they paint as a ghost image, is in the process of using his own method for getting rid of all graffiti.

Attribution –

The Meeting on the Turret Stairs, Burton, F.W, (1864), National Gallery of Ireland, https://www.nationalgallery.ie/art-and-artists/highlights-collection/hellelil-and-hildebrand-meeting-turret-stairs-frederic, accessed 27/10/2020

Grey Ghost, Banksy, Flickr: Banksy Grey Ghost A, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Banksy_Grey_Ghost_A.jpg, accessed 27/10/2020

• Like 5

Bought a small mixed fleet of road vehicles for WR&A late on Friday evening from Mark's Models.  Everything closed for the bank holiday weekend and delivery received today, i.e., next working day.  It includes some of the Irish models.  A nice early surprise, great service and well pleased with the goods. 

Support your local retailer and keep modelling.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.a46ca3e46d67cffe5169c644fff1ed51.png

https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Freight-Models-1252098201500518/

Tomo,

The ammonia tankers are resin/3D print kits produced by Tom Brady of Irish Freight Models and the barriers are RTR stock also from Tom.  I bought them in 2016, assembled and painted the six kits myself and I'm very pleased with the result.  They’re not fine scale models but they are very robust.  They are a great weight and great runners, are wobble free, are excellent couplers, and don’t derail. They produce a very realistic clickity-clack as they pass over some rail joints.  I have lowered the sound of the loco so that I can hear everything.  I modelled with the NET logo, and the kit included the IFI logo for modellers of that period.

image.png.863e2119ae523e04a89063999f7c8286.png

Just one decal left to be fitted (Tanker number panel below the NET Logo) and the set of parts ready for final assembly

image.png.221c54cf1cb311055cee83afbc1f8694.png 

The same set of parts loosely assembled

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

Tomo, I don't know what the situation is now.  I bought when Tom had a website but that's taken down since.  I see a contact email on the Facebook page so, maybe start there.  Perhaps someone on this site might know more.

There is a short thread about closing the website at

Hope this helps.

Billycan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi TimO, Patrick, David, Robert and others for your responses.

The decorative girders were 3D printed for me.  At Warley 2018 I met Andrew Morris of Leeds Model Railway Society who was demonstrating 3D printing and I wondered if I could buy a bag of what might be his ‘standard panels’ that made up a water tank he had on his bench.  They would have been perfect for my girders project.  He offered to have a look at what I was planning to do and he very generously worked with my dimensioned sketches to create the very fine detail girders I now have.  My starting point was a photocrafted girder printed out and pasted to card.  You can see these early efforts in the first 3 photos and the last photo combines the unfinished centre girder in card with the 3D printed girders on the outside.  Most of the rest is paper (the road) and card (the footpaths and some more), photocrafted sometimes from my own photos and sometimes from Google Street View.  The columns are re-engineered pens with the cap of the pen forming the base and the main part of the pen snugly fitting into it to form the column.  A little over size but look well, so, don’t tell anyone.  They’ll do for now.

I bought the 4 Christmas trees a few years ago for €4.99 with a plan to add lights to them but something else always seems to take priority.  Maybe next year.

Thanks again for the comments.

Edited by Billycan
Typo
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...