Possible Provincial Wagons Steam Loco

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Folks

This repeats a reply to Heirflick on the GNR DMU string - I thought it would be more visible here and encourage more replies!

I should also have said that it would be a resin body on the Hornby chassis - the beauty of this approach is that you have a loco which should run well on a proven chassis!

I'm still searching for a suitable 0-6-0 donor chassis for an Irish 0-6-0!

Leslie

Possible Provincial Wagons loco?

Well, "My Man" recently suggested using the Hornby Railroad Midland Compound as the basis for a GNR Compound.

I'm not to so sure for a few reasons -

SSM have an excellent kit of it - albeit that it will put you back over £400 by the time you get it built and painted;

It would encourage people to demand coaches from me;

I would prefer a small GN 0-6-0 to pull my wagons!

That said, he quotes me about £200 for a RTR loco in primer - giving people the option of fully lined (expensive) blue or 1930s black! I'm seeking a painter who could do the blue lined livery well, then it could be a "runner"!

If it's of interest to any of you, then e-mail me via my website - if there's enough interest, it would be hard to resist!

Over to you guys - silence means no interest!

Leslie

Hmm... did many GNR 0-6-0s end up in CIE ownership?

About half of them locos and stock were divided 50/50 between CIE & UTA.

SSM do the SG a large main line loco basically the goods version of the S, Worsley works do a kit of parts for the UG a "modern" 1937 light mixed traffic type.

The UG a nice simple outline no crankpin splashers on a Hornby Dean Goods or slightly stretched on a Bachmann 3F chassis might be a good compromise http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/reply/6672/Re-old-loco-tender.

John

Hmm... did many GNR 0-6-0s end up in CIE ownership?

The previous answer is quite correct - the steam stock was split pretty well 50/50.

Of course, CIE, with its growing fleet of diesels, made fairly little use of them. There exist photos of GN 0-6-0s in some fairly strange places in CIE days, but the truth must be told, - they were little used after 1962 and of course, CIE sold three S Class and the VS No.207 to the UTA in the early sixties.

"Merlin" (my proposed loco at the moment) went to CIE and saw some notable use on extra trains right up to the end of steam. She worked the Thursday (?) shoppers' train from Dublin to Belfast right up to 1964, if memory serves.

The obvious loco to make for CIE use is a "101" (J15 if you want to use that name). Lots of us have considered repainting a Dean Goods and pretending its a 101. There must be a chassis which would allow a resin body to be made which would offer a 186 or a 184?

Not for me, as I want GN 0-6-0s, but maybe someone with the expertise out there might take up this baton?

Leslie

The ex DSER goods locos would probably be the best bet for a simple rtr or kit built "Southern" engine. The moguls and J8 Class 0-6-0s were pretty close in coupled wheelbase to the 3F & 4F, nice simple outline straight running board, large cab and reasonably large boiler to hide the motor.

While mainly used on the South Eastern the moguls seem to been quite widely used on excursions and freight working towards the end of steam.

http://www.steamindex.com/locotype/dser.htm

• 3 years later...

If you know what the GN wheelbase is, then your only problem is finding the RTR chassis to match. Modern RTR production means very uncertain spares availability, so good luck finding sufficient quantities of complete chassis. Both Bachmann and Hornby can be very unhelpful.

A 101/J15 had a 7'3 x 8'3" chassis, so technically you could use a GW Pannier or Dean Goods as a basis.

If you know what the GN wheelbase is, then your only problem is finding the RTR chassis to match. Modern RTR production means very uncertain spares availability, so good luck finding sufficient quantities of complete chassis. Both Bachmann and Hornby can be very unhelpful.

A 101/J15 had a 7'3 x 8'3" chassis, so technically you could use a GW Pannier or Dean Goods as a basis.

Hornby, anyway are extremely unhelpful. I'm still waiting to hear from them about spares, and the inquiry was made over a year ago!

I would love to see a RTR J15, as it would surely lead to a bigger interest in the steam age..

I have never had any problem obtaining spares for Hornby locomotives, but not necessarily from Hornby. I first have a look on the Hornby website, and find a Service Sheet in the download section, for the locomotive in question. Once I have the Service Sheet, I find the part number of the part required, and do a web or ebay search. If the loco does not have a Service Sheet on the Hornby site, Lendons of Cardiff have loads of Service Sheets right back to Tri-ang, and many other makes as well. http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/index.asp?button=button2

In terms of a RTR Irish steam loco, to be commercially viable it has to have as wide appeal as possible. Therefore it will be best to model something that was widely used in real life.

Thus, probably the only show in town is a UTA / NCC "Jeep" or a GSWR 101 / J15.

And both have prototypes to work off...

Any news on this Leslie?

Good morning Harry.

No there's no news, nor will be. Various false starts - I was looking at a SG3 - GNR Heavy Goods, but my modeller seems to have lost interest in such a project. We had hoped to do a body on a J39 chassis. Another contact was looking at a UG, 3D printed, but was having fun finding a chassis which would sit inside the Class UG profile. Then, of course, this happened -

00Works are going to produce a RTR Class U and Class UG, and at the price they're quoting, I, for one, will simply join the queue to get one of theirs!

I'd love to have an SG3 - the meaty GNR goods - but you can't have everything.

Now, having said that - Des, does your SG kit make suggestions for producing a SG3 from your kit of the smaller boilered engine? Maybe we could do a resin body and use that with the SG kit? Wouldn't be RTR of course and you're back in the queue for some modeller to build it (two years plus?).

Sorry it's not good news, but I hope that the 00Works people get the orders and are busily making the locos now!!!!

Kevin, in reply to your query about having a good job of painting a GN passenger engine blue, fully lined, I was recently quoted £250 - £300. Mind you, the guy was the best in the business!

Leslie

Leslie