Weathering bench

Rate this topic

Dempsey

5 hours ago, Dempsey said:

I was looking at a ditch lighting kit to add, which is inexpensive the shipping and customs charge is ridiculous. 

I'm a fan of the SD40 myself but not the current livery so have a few ideas to change it.

Pity about the shipping costs, the ditch lighting would look the business. 

I wouldn't be a fan of the Santa Fe livery myself. I always liked Southern Pacific. It was simple, but effective. Grey body, with red ends, and always heavily weathered. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JasonB said:

Pity about the shipping costs, the ditch lighting would look the business. 

I wouldn't be a fan of the Santa Fe livery myself. I always liked Southern Pacific. It was simple, but effective. Grey body, with red ends, and always heavily weathered. 

I'll shop around some more and see if i can find better. I'm in no rush to finish it anyway right now until I decide what livery. 

Maybe NS or one of the other big five. Maybe a small regional line or maybe make one up for that classic "my railway, my rules" vide.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dempsey said:

The only real draw back is the detailing parts have to come from the states. I was looking at a ditch lighting kit to add, which is inexpensive the shipping and customs charge is ridiculous. 

I'm a fan of the SD40 myself but not the current livery so have a few ideas to change it.

Some locos retained their Santa Fe freight scheme into the 2000s both in BNSF ownership or on lease to Shortlines/Regional Railroads.

6202 in use as a remotely controlled switcher at Moorhead Yard MN 2004 (one of the main yards on the BNSF northern transcontinental route from Chicago to the Pacific. The RR worker in the photo is wearing a harness with the radio controller for the loco.

USA2004439.thumb.jpg.7a47facf53683203d4e23b93bf09ab50.jpg

3043 is a ATSF rebuilt GP20 on lease to regional Dakota Missouri Valley and Western in 2004, at the time the DMVWR used a motley collection of 2nd Generation EMD Bo Bos including ex-CN, SP and ATSF power to work freights over its undulating trackage. 

USA2004406.thumb.jpg.182b78a51d73ab9eac9a4a95ce125c41.jpg

USA2004401.thumb.jpg.28785fc362d8c6285bd65c7fafce3095.jpg

These days Regionals in the grain growing regions are increasingly using 6 axle units like SD40s and even SD70 to move unit grain trains between the Elevators and the Interchange with Class 1 Roads such as the BNSF, UP, CN & CP

• Like 1