Metcalfe castle kit.

Rate this topic

Doesn't look Irish, I'm not sure it looks anything really, and more 19th century than medieval, just look at all those windows.

Ireland was more a Tower House sort of place, think the structure at the rear standing alone without the curtain wall or gatehouse, but even that looks wrong.

(castles are one of my interests from years ago)

Edited by NIR
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, DiveController said:

Me likee but I'm still co-building Hogwarts with my junior partner!

Do it resemble anything Irish, Kilkenny or the West?

Not really - it's more Tudor (English) than Norman / Irish, architecturally. I had though of some sort of old tumbledown "11th century ruin" in a corner on an extension of mine - but the pic of Dunamase above (a lovely place) -  shows that not a window is even necessary!

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Now if they had done a model version of say Blarney Castle, well that would have been better, I do need a small Irish Tower model for the backscene of the freelanced 00n3 layout

Colin R

image.png.05ed33f678538fa4c6a13cc9fff7ae7a.png

Money box in the shape of the castle, amazing detail including plants and surrounds. Available exclusively from Blarney Castle.  h 10cms, w 7cms, d 7cms.

https://store.blarneycastle.ie/products/blarney-castle-money-box

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Colin R said:

I do need a small Irish Tower model for the backscene of the freelanced 00n3 layout

Some of those plastic ruins for fish in aquariums are not a million miles away...

s-l1600.jpg

...maybe some pruning and a bit of filler scraped across the stonework...

411bkt1i9WL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

...semi-relief in the background these would work.

Edited by NIR
  • Like 3

The rear section is not unlike Wynn's Folly aka Glenbeigh towers near Glenbeigh. 

A cut down modified gatehouse would resemble so many dotted around the countryside as the entrance to former "demenses".

Mock Tudor/Tudor Revival was a popular style with the Ascendancy.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just finished building the 'Castle Hall' kit from this series, really nice kit, great depth and detail, especially in the windows and doors. Metcalfe stuff is usually decent anyways and very sturdy.

I wonder is there anyway I could convince them to do Father Ted's House or Fawlty Towers in kit form.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, roxy_guy10 said:

Nice, would love an OO parochial house. Somebody needs to do one . . . . .

I'm sure that someone did put a "Scalescenes"-type image up on here years ago, from which a reasonable replica could be made, but I've been unable to find it again...