Charwelton into the 80's

Rate this topic

Si2020

7 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Ballycharwelton?

Knockcharwelton?

Dún Char Weltán?

Slieve Welton?

More like Craggywelton......We dont take things to seriously.......honest.

No where did i put the rivet ruler  😉 😆

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Driven over that bridge many, many times! Is that the York-Bournemouth or a Nottingham-Marylebone? The memories Charwelton  brings to mind for me. Wonderful layout.

HI Mike,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I think the service is Newcastle - Poole one. We have used a 1950s working timetable and try to run services that ran then and would still be running when the layout is set now.

Its also a summer Saturday to enable us to run some locos that wouldnt normally run down the line, for exapmle 37 033 is showing her Stag stickers in the photo so is a long way from home!!

Plus we are hoping to add a few of the new Accurscale 37s when they arrive 👏

• Like 2

I explored the station site and walked along the trackbed towards the tunnel when I was living in UK in the early 90s. 

I was exploring the remains of the ironstone tramways in the area, I think the gateway to the quarry tramway was still in place 30 years after the quarry closed.

52 minutes ago, Mayner said:

I explored the station site and walked along the trackbed towards the tunnel when I was living in UK in the early 90s. 

I was exploring the remains of the ironstone tramways in the area, I think the gateway to the quarry tramway was still in place 30 years after the quarry closed.

Hi,

We have had a few people come up to us at shows about thier memories of the station. One guy I was chatting to who’s dad was the quarry forman.

Didn’t realise that the gate was still there that late as one guy said they replaced the fence once the line had been lifted out of the yard. 

2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Well, this old git fired Brittania's and Black 5's along there in the last gasps of GC steam. I seem to remember Catesby as being a very wet/ muddy tunnel.

Lots of people have said the same as you to it being wet.

It’s now go a new lease of life once it opens as a wind tunnel for automotive testing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the past 3 years we have had a couple of working weekends inbetween shows to sort out any issuesthat may have developed as with a layout this size if there is an issue it can turn it into a large diorama which has happend once, but thats another story.

Well we had a working weekends a few weeks ago and those very nice people at Accurascale allowed us to have a play with the forthcoming Now available PTA wagons, you may have seen the video they posted up of the wagons traveling along the cutting. Anyway I managed to get a couple of pics of the wagons in the station

IMG_6556.thumb.JPG.a66c7c4798efdc8be6aae2a4f2e97fb9.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Due to the size of the layout, being just under 40ft long, we only get chance to set the layout up at shows or on our working weekends. The working weekends consist of 2/3 long days were we just work down the list of jobs/snags that we have come across.

The photo below was taken during one of those weekends and gives a nice view up the layout that you normally can't get due to the bridges being in the way.

IMG_6508.thumb.JPG.03aa12609fdaf3d47d4c3ff28a698db5.JPG

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we first got the layout we had did think that the task of converting it to DCC wouldn't be that difficult, well we may have been a bit wrong with that assumption.

These are a couple of pics of the 2 contorl panels.......

The main panel

IMG_0392.thumb.JPG.c8c75f2555b0359f3b5590a370cefcce.JPGIMG_0393.thumb.JPG.2ae7a94fba81b8dee8a662e58c13559d.JPG

Fiddle Yard panel

IMG_0394.thumb.JPG.2769c79bd1d4cc4d874f025a8c3e88d4.JPGIMG_0395.thumb.JPG.bf09af4a90a7961bfaa12d61ee6fb3f4.JPG

Since these where taken we have removed most of the wiring and the main panel is now being fitted out using the megapoints controls for the signals and points.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So its been a while since the last post due to work, lots of gluing being done......

Any way due to the size of the layout we can only set it up when we are at shows or at our working weekends and this weekend is just one of those weekends. Lots of work was being done but these had truned up so it would have been rude not to pop them on the layout for a few photos

1933340208_ImagefromiOS.thumb.jpg.2cad4fe189d475018ed3ddf3d1ca357c.jpg

Lovley set of wagons and too modern to be run on the layout at a show but once I've done the support coaches they can have a few trips round when we are working on the layout.

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

Whats this two post in one day........

Well I forgot to say that we have had some show confirmations for Charwelton into the 80s

So we are going to be at the following shows over the next couple of years.

Perth  June

Wigan October

Railex  May

Whilst the above shows are in the UK, we do attend international shows both as visitors and exhibitors (If we are invited).
If you are at any of the abve then please pop by the layout and say hi, none of us bite.....honest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When we are at shows we have as much intrest in the fiddle yard as we do in the front of the layout,

IMG_6626.thumb.JPG.c8f378c049f008fe46b0707d4f3c3ffd.JPG

Seen here during one of our working weekends having the colour tape added to make it easier for guest operators to see which road they are driving in to.

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

On 26/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, Si2020 said:

As its friday i thougt it would only be fair to post up another photo.

Now this is one of those views you only get to see if your operating the layout.

Detail_4.thumb.jpg.418a2d131d1bbfc9a41d19e6db2d37e7.jpg

Can it be Friday more often, please?

Superb photos, superb angles, very well composed, and amazing scenery. That's the sort of layout I like, where you can lose yourself in the entire scenery and background...... excellent stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Can it be Friday more often, please?

Superb photos, superb angles, very well composed, and amazing scenery. That's the sort of layout I like, where you can lose yourself in the entire scenery and background...... excellent stuff.

Thanks,

We can't take credit for all the photos that are posted up as some are from the British Railway Modelling Magazine article that was in the May 2019 issue after we had a photo shoot at the 2019 Doncaster BRM show with Andy York.

We also do a few phtos for those Accurascale guys as they keep sending us stuff to play  test on the layout 😀

6 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

My truck going over the railway bridge loaded with bags of fertilizer!  Did that many many times. After my all to brief sojurn with BR

I have to admit you may have been going a different way since that photo as I don't think we have had the lorry on the layout since. We have that much 80s stuff to go on the various 80s layouts, we have plus a couple of future ones that are in the pipeline

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Broithe said:

Facebook has just suggested that I might be interested in this picture, so I thought it might be worth mentioning here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1390742637606844?multi_permalinks=4895466017134471&hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen

May be an image of train and railway

© Ian Krause.

Hi,

I saw that one as well. Not seen any photos in this direction before and its an intresting view with lots of detail information on it. Things like the run of the telegraph poles and the stay on the down signal. Not sure that we can add it as the embankment on our model isn't deep enough at this point, plus we will probably catch it when cleaning the track.