H&W / NCC 22 shunter

Rate this topic

Robert Shrives

Harland & Wolff 0-6-0DM LMS 7057/NCC 22

One of only a handful of locomotives built by the Belfast shipbuilders, this loco was delivered to the LMS as 7057 in 1934. Sold back to the buiders in 1945 it was modified, re-gauged to 5'3' and became NCC (later UTA) No.22. Either version can be built from the kit.

Prices: 4mm scale  £48 + £3.50 p&p

Well having asked about the DH shunter and Mike saying maybe sometime etc... I noted a comment about the H&W shunter and not much Irish Interest - well having learnt something new - it was made it is outside my era but could well be of interest I add it here , apologies if already noted on the forum - I admit to not having looked in all the many corners for the loco.

Thanks Robert  

Should have added of course it is a Judith Edge kit .

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Robert

I showed the prototype, in brass, at Bangor in 2019. My description used then follows -

1192857954_SWRTicket1(1).jpg.08b84cf74becbefcb77a411f84693042.jpg

Mike and Judith Edge are noted for their etched brass kits of unusual diesel and electric locos and one of their latest is this little locomotive built by Harland & Wolff for the LMS in 1934.

After working as No.7057 in the Chester and Heysham areas, she was returned to Belfast in 1944. Re-engined with a larger 225hp engine, she became NCC No.22 and continued to shunt at York Road until the early 1960s. She was scrapped in 1965.

The kit requires wheels, buffers, a gearbox and motor. See the built loco on my stand and a sample kit, which should be fairly easy to construct.

If you give me your e-mail address, I will send it to Judith who can then deal with your order.

From Robert's comment above, it didn't evoke many sales, although I know two - I'm waiting for Richard McLachlan to build mine (alongside his own).

Leslie

• Like 4

Leslie, 

Thanks for that - a well worded  notice.  Mike Edge has a great range but as befits a small supplier he does not market all kits all the time and has many part worked up waiting on details , time, luck or a kindly nag!  His 3mm range is also very good including a clayton bo- bo which is a fine bit of NS origami .. A work of art as just the etched sheet! 

He had said he might look at the DH kit idea but needed good drawings - which I suspect is a bit of a brick wall.

Robert  

Robert

Yes, their works are indeed a work of art.

When I first saw No.22 on their stand at Scaleforum North in Wakefield he had a completed model of North Eastern Railway 2-Co-2 No.13 built for the NER York - Newcastle electrification.

We'll have to get Mike to produce an electric as designed by HENRY EOGHAN O'BRIEN for the LNWR?

Leslie

Application of Rule 1 for running No 22 on any layout. So far I have resisted the temptation. I did give Mike Edge a copy of the only drawing for a Bandon Baldwin 0-6-2, "a new one on me" or words to that effect were said. I thought it fitted in rather well with his range of obscure and rather different loco kits. And I should love one or maybe two!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

What livery did the Harland & Wolff shunter carry, either as LMS 7057 or NCC 22?

Black, always. In LMS times I think it was both plain black and also steam-loco-style lining. All of the few diesel shunters the NCC had were lined or plain black, carried on in UTA times.

The several which started life on the BCDR were initially the very dark green of their steam locos (somewhat darker, even, than UTA green), but once the UTA got them they were black.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Black, always. In LMS times I think it was both plain black and also steam-loco-style lining. All of the few diesel shunters the NCC had were lined or plain black, carried on in UTA times.

The several which started life on the BCDR were initially the very dark green of their steam locos (somewhat darker, even, than UTA green), but once the UTA got them they were black.

No 28, the second of the "BCDR" locos (I put it in inverted commas as the BCDR never actually owned it!) did run for a while under the UTA on the LMSNCC lines, before the GNR got it - a photo from 1951 shows the BCDR lining intact if worn, with a UTA "Red Hand". My own 00 model is in this guise; I think it was still owned by Harland & Wolff at the time.  

682983570_28arrardglasscu.thumb.JPG.4d1813e65658b873bff4280cb5674f5a.JPG

348871573_28bridgecrop.thumb.jpg.491984b2ea5c9f38c5645ee15de2b7aa.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Many thanks for this. I'm building the Judith edge kit at the moment and approaching the painting stage. 

Alan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Thank you! Always good to see work in progress: such photos have been of great use to me in my muddling efforts. This is coming on very nicely. Is that compensation I can see on one of the axles? 

Thank you. I have to admit this one is pushing my skills to the limit. Yes, the instructions recommend driving the front axle and I've used hornblocks and a compensating beam on the other two. All a bit of a squeeze!

Alan

IMG_3075D.thumb.jpg.f61e498ca4c58aa9c543fbdc8c76a3bf.jpg

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

19 hours ago, colmflanagan said:

No 28, the second of the "BCDR" locos (I put it in inverted commas as the BCDR never actually owned it!) did run for a while under the UTA on the LMSNCC lines, before the GNR got it - a photo from 1951 shows the BCDR lining intact if worn, with a UTA "Red Hand". My own 00 model is in this guise; I think it was still owned by Harland & Wolff at the time.  

682983570_28arrardglasscu.thumb.JPG.4d1813e65658b873bff4280cb5674f5a.JPG

348871573_28bridgecrop.thumb.jpg.491984b2ea5c9f38c5645ee15de2b7aa.jpg

Fabulous. Never knew about that loco. Rivaling the Sulzer B113 for Dalek membership

• 11 months later...
41 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Edge Harlandic.jpg

That is an absolutely amazing job - very well done indeed. One of my biggest regrets is not following No. 28 about when I could so easily have done - and given the right circumstances I could have seen that one too. Very well done.

Now, this has me googling Judith Edge kits, though I'm in the 00 rather than 0 gauge world.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Related question: for a future project of my own, would you have any recommendations for a six-wheeled power unit, suitable for DCC even if it's old, but without connecting rods?  (00 gauge)

Ah now that's a question. I've long wanted to have a go at BCDR diesel D1/No. 2 in 00 (Might that be your project too?) but I haven't been able to find a 6 wheel chassis without rods that might do. Yet. 🙂.  I'm sure there's something out there.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the kind comments. I have a love/hate relationship with kit building. I love it today😄

Yes Leslie, I'm very pleased with the rolling stock. Maybe see you at Bangor in April? The layout is a small fictitious dock scene vaguely inspired by Dundrum. Called Loughan Quay (say it out loud)

Alan

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Ah now that's a question. I've long wanted to have a go at BCDR diesel D1/No. 2 in 00 (Might that be your project too?) but I haven't been able to find a 6 wheel chassis without rods that might do. Yet. 🙂.  I'm sure there's something out there.

Mine is a different thing - a shunter designed but only built as a sample. In an ideal world, the chassis for it would be something not unlike an "E" class diesel chassis, but with even axle spacings.