Hornby LNWR Coaches

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Given few alive who would have ridden in these ! I guess it gives all the pregrouping short train modellers options in making a good stab of a representation , much like the Hattons originated models but the duplication/competition/ splitting the small non profitable market size does seem commercially very strange given the time and place., looking into the fish bowl.  

At least it will give varations and given the Highland Railway was unable  or loathe to replace then these two sources give a good basis of modifications - and I would think enterprising modellers will be able to adapt for Irish lines as well.   

An acceptable compromise ? But when some suggest the drivers moustache is out of period when a steam loco lands with a fantastic paint job and lovely motion I do wonder how  you can please us fickle perfectionists - even if the gauge is wrong and its made of plastic !!  ho hum.   I guess it does link well with the NRM LNWR loco projects.       

• Like 3

On 5/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Patrick Davey said:

Having a browse through Hornby's new range and these caught my eye, not sure if they are brand new though but they might pass as DNGR 'from a distance', as the song goes......

Did the DNGR have any 4-wheeled vehicles I wonder.....?

LNWR.jpg

No, no four wheelers.

For modellers of the pre-1960 period, and indeed the pre-1950 or 1940 period, it’s important to remember one very fundamental difference between Irish and British coach design.

The long-wheelbase 24ft to 30ft four-wheelers which ran on MANY British lines, and advertised both above AND by Hattons, were ENTIRELY absent in Ireland. Also, WE may have kept six-wheelers in traffic longer than Britain, but we disposed of OUR four-wheelers, which were of a very much shorter wheelbase (about 20ft), LONG before Britain. Never plentiful in number anyway, the vast majority disappeared by the 1890s, though the MGWR appear to have been using one, and possibly two, as late as the mid 1920s.

So none of either the above, nor Hattons FOUR wheelers are remotely suitable for anything Irish.

But the 6-wheelers of both have more than an acceptable resemblance to several GSWR types. Not GNR, not NCC, not MGWR, not BCDR, though. The good news is that some stock of this type lasted on CIE until 1963, and a small few of the full brake types only (not passenger carrying ones) made it into black’n’tan livery, largely on Galway mail trains, until 1966/8.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3