IRRS Digital Meeting tonight, Thursday 25 February - “With Lance King in Ireland – 1957-1963"

Rate this topic

leslie10646

just a quick reminder to those of you who like Irish Railways in the age of steam (and the beginning of the diesel era). I am giving one of my presentations of Lance King's brilliant colour images of Irish Railways tonight.

This one is mainly in the Republic.

By Zoom, of course.

See invite below. I hope that we'll welcome some of you to an IRRS meeting for the first time?

Leslie

THE IRISH RAILWAY RECORD SOCIETY
Dublin Digital Event
19:30, 25 February 2021

“With Lance King in Ireland – 1957-1963
by Leslie McAllister
(IRRS London Area)

(Digital sign-in from 19:00)

London Area Committee member, Leslie McAllister, pays tribute to the Area’s founder Chairman, Lance King, with a first selection of Lance’s colour photographs taken in the Republic in the last years of steam there. Lance was a skilled photographer and left a fine record of steam in the Dublin area and on the fondly remembered branches such as Kenmare, Loughrea, Ballaghdareen, Edenderry, Tullow, Clara and Youghal, Steam and diesel in daily service on the CB&SCR feature, as well as the memorable railtour with the last “Bandon tank”. The early days of silver and “black and tan” liveried diesels conclude the period. A snapshot of Irish railway history at a time of great change.

This event will be presented online through Zoom.

JOINING THE MEETING

To join the meeting, use one of the two following options:

a) PREFERRED
click on the following link 
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87530351014?pwd=VTFzcGIzRXU3MDhHV3k1STYxUHl4UT09

We can accommodate up to 500 participants for this event. 
We do not therefore expect to be oversubscribed.

The event will not be recorded.

b) open the Zoom App already installed on your device and enter the following :
Meeting ID: 875 3035 1014
Passcode: 629255

A short video on how to use Zoom as a participant will be found at 
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-.

An audio only option is also available.  Full details of this and other aspects of using Zoom are set out below.

HOW TO GET ZOOM ON YOUR DEVICE

We recommend downloading Zoom to your device in advance of the meeting, so that you can check that everything is ok. If you wait until you join the meeting, there is a risk that the download process will cause you to miss the start.

If you do not already have Zoom installed on your device, we recommend that :

(i)  you download the Zoom App (the zoom icon shows a white camera on a blue background) to a tablet or smartphone from Google Play or the App Store

or (ii)  download the Zoom installation package from the 
Zoom.us website 
and install on a laptop or pc.

Download and use of Zoom is free for meeting participants.

Downloading the App to a tablet or smartphone is fastest but downloading and installing Zoom on a pc or laptop is straightforward. Remember that as a meeting participant only, you do not need to register, set up a Zoom password etc.

JOINING THE MEETING BY AUDIO ONLY

Please note that if your device does not have a microphone (for you to speak) or a webcam (for others to see you), you can still join and see and hear the presentation (provided your speaker and screen are working!). In fact, we will be asking everyone to keep their microphones and webcams turned off during the presentation, until the Q&A session.

If you want to join in audio mode only (which means you will hear the presentation commentary only and not see the images) dial according to your location and enter the Meeting ID and Passcode.

One tap mobile

+35316533895,,87530351014# Ireland
+35316533897,,87530351014# Ireland

Dial by your location
        +353 1 653 3895 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3897 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3898 Ireland
        +353 6 163 9031 Ireland
        +353 1 240 8941 Ireland
        +353 1 536 9320 Ireland
        +44 203 051 2874 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5240 United Kingdom
        +44 203 901 7895 United Kingdom
        +44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom

Note that you will pay standard phone charges.

JOINING AND LEAVING THE MEETING

Please note that you can join the meeting any time from 19:00 onwards. The meeting proper will start promptly at 19.30 so make sure you give yourself enough time to join before that. You may be able to join later, but you will miss part of the presentation.

Once signed in, you can go away and do something else (including working on your device provided you do not close Zoom down) until 19:30.

Your microphone and webcam will be turned off (by us) when you join. You will have control of both, but we recommend that you leave them switched off unless there is a Q&A session after the presentation, in which case the procedure for contributing will be explained by the meeting Chair.

If your ID appears on screen as "iPad", "Phone", or "IrkyJu20" or other odd term, please change this to your normal name, so that we will know who you are.  This is easily done in Zoom.

You may leave the meeting at any time, but for those remaining, the meeting will be digitally closed once the concluding remarks by the Chair are complete. You will be automatically ejected from the meeting at that time.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

just a quick reminder to those of you who like Irish Railways in the age of steam (and the beginning of the diesel era). I am giving one of my presentations of Lance King's brilliant colour images of Irish Railways tonight.

This one is mainly in the Republic.

By Zoom, of course.

See invite below. I hope that we'll welcome some of you to an IRRS meeting for the first time?

Leslie

THE IRISH RAILWAY RECORD SOCIETY
Dublin Digital Event
19:30, 25 February 2021

“With Lance King in Ireland – 1957-1963
by Leslie McAllister
(IRRS London Area)

(Digital sign-in from 19:00)

London Area Committee member, Leslie McAllister, pays tribute to the Area’s founder Chairman, Lance King, with a first selection of Lance’s colour photographs taken in the Republic in the last years of steam there. Lance was a skilled photographer and left a fine record of steam in the Dublin area and on the fondly remembered branches such as Kenmare, Loughrea, Ballaghdareen, Edenderry, Tullow, Clara and Youghal, Steam and diesel in daily service on the CB&SCR feature, as well as the memorable railtour with the last “Bandon tank”. The early days of silver and “black and tan” liveried diesels conclude the period. A snapshot of Irish railway history at a time of great change.

This event will be presented online through Zoom.

JOINING THE MEETING

To join the meeting, use one of the two following options:

a) PREFERRED
click on the following link 
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87530351014?pwd=VTFzcGIzRXU3MDhHV3k1STYxUHl4UT09

We can accommodate up to 500 participants for this event. 
We do not therefore expect to be oversubscribed.

The event will not be recorded.

b) open the Zoom App already installed on your device and enter the following :
Passcode: 629255

A short video on how to use Zoom as a participant will be found at 
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-.

An audio only option is also available.  Full details of this and other aspects of using Zoom are set out below.

HOW TO GET ZOOM ON YOUR DEVICE

We recommend downloading Zoom to your device in advance of the meeting, so that you can check that everything is ok. If you wait until you join the meeting, there is a risk that the download process will cause you to miss the start.

If you do not already have Zoom installed on your device, we recommend that :

(i)  you download the Zoom App (the zoom icon shows a white camera on a blue background) to a tablet or smartphone from Google Play or the App Store

or (ii)  download the Zoom installation package from the 
Zoom.us website 
and install on a laptop or pc.

Download and use of Zoom is free for meeting participants.

Downloading the App to a tablet or smartphone is fastest but downloading and installing Zoom on a pc or laptop is straightforward. Remember that as a meeting participant only, you do not need to register, set up a Zoom password etc.

JOINING THE MEETING BY AUDIO ONLY

Please note that if your device does not have a microphone (for you to speak) or a webcam (for others to see you), you can still join and see and hear the presentation (provided your speaker and screen are working!). In fact, we will be asking everyone to keep their microphones and webcams turned off during the presentation, until the Q&A session.

If you want to join in audio mode only (which means you will hear the presentation commentary only and not see the images) dial according to your location and enter the Meeting ID and Passcode.

One tap mobile

+35316533895,,87530351014# Ireland
+35316533897,,87530351014# Ireland

Dial by your location
        +353 1 653 3895 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3897 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3898 Ireland
        +353 6 163 9031 Ireland
        +353 1 240 8941 Ireland
        +353 1 536 9320 Ireland
        +44 203 051 2874 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5240 United Kingdom
        +44 203 901 7895 United Kingdom
        +44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom

Note that you will pay standard phone charges.

JOINING AND LEAVING THE MEETING

Please note that you can join the meeting any time from 19:00 onwards. The meeting proper will start promptly at 19.30 so make sure you give yourself enough time to join before that. You may be able to join later, but you will miss part of the presentation.

Once signed in, you can go away and do something else (including working on your device provided you do not close Zoom down) until 19:30.

Your microphone and webcam will be turned off (by us) when you join. You will have control of both, but we recommend that you leave them switched off unless there is a Q&A session after the presentation, in which case the procedure for contributing will be explained by the meeting Chair.

If your ID appears on screen as "iPad", "Phone", or "IrkyJu20" or other odd term, please change this to your normal name, so that we will know who you are.  This is easily done in Zoom.

You may leave the meeting at any time, but for those remaining, the meeting will be digitally closed once the concluding remarks by the Chair are complete. You will be automatically ejected from the meeting at that time.

Can you join the meeting regardless of your a member or not....I'm too young to join the society as of right now?

Brilliant presentation Leslie and what a photographer Lance King was. I thought the colour balance in the photos was just stunning, no garish contrasts or strange shades of green or blue. Were they digitally enhanced? And I wish my eye for composition was half as good. Thanks again for a really good show.

Mick

• Like 1

Yes, need to do a small repaint on my three Sligo locos!

The photos of the railcar and railbus were stunning too - was amazed how smart the paintwork was. Equally, one of my favourite pictures was of the cattle fair, with all those folk in long brown overcoats. For me it is stuff like this which can help us bring our modelling scenes to life.

As another aside, I must put in an early vote for these meetings to continue on Zoom, once things get back to normal. For me, it would be a three hour round trip to get to the London venue and the others would require an overnight stay! The quality of the presentations has been excellent and If love to see them continue.

• Like 2

Excellent evening and presentation with a record 276 (I think) attendees. Probably  the only benefit from the Covid Pandemic has been the development of the Zoom meetings wherein members worldwide can attend and/or participate. The IRRS picture Archive is also being rapidly augmented (More SLNC images added recently!)

DON'T DELAY JOIN TODAY! You can do it all on-line.

Ernie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely fantastic presentation Leslie, the quality of the photos was excellent, particular the Donegal railway in stunning sunny weather, loading sugar beet in the wilds of West Cork was very interesting, it's a great photographic record, Lance king seeming didn't just go on rail tours but recorded ordinary daily events on the railway, a great night to be had in these times.

Regards

hg

• Like 1

On 26/2/2021 at 1:28 PM, K801 said:

Hello Leslie, are your presentations recorded so we can watch them on the other side of the pond?

First, thanks to those who attended and made such kind comments.

I am repeating the talk (same pictures, but a different story, I'm sure, as it's live) next Monday (at 1.30pm) to a Locomotive Club of GB branch.

If others want to "attend", I'll seek the Club's permission to make registration possible.

I'm not absolutely sure if we recorded the Thursday talk, but will check. In time, I'm sure a lot of the views will appear on the IRRS Flickr pages - worth membership on their own!!!!

As Ernie says above - JOIN UP!

LESLIE

PS Glad the Fair scenes went down well (BSGSV) - a valuable record of times past in glorious colour

• Like 3

Follks

One or two of you mentioned that you had missed my talk, using the slides of the late Lance King.

Well, this MIGHT help?

Monday the 8th of March, 2021 13:00 London
With Lance King in Ireland – 1957 – 1963 by Leslie McAllister

Yes, tomorrow, and at lunchtime!

If you want the registration details, either e-mail me on

lesliemcallister@aol.com

or PM me.

Hope you are all well.

Leslie

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...