SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

• 2 weeks later...

Great tune. I literally was in short trousers at the time (with an Action man T-shirt). Those of you over 40 will remember.

Check out his profile on Wikipedia, astonishingly talented and with a strange and varied background.

Great tune. I literally was in short trousers at the time (with an Action man T-shirt). Those of you over 40 will remember.

Check out his profile on Wikipedia, astonishingly talented and with a strange and varied background.

Sex and drugs and rock and roll is also a great tune. Anyone see the movie of his life with Andy Serkis.

Rich,

I bet you still wear that T shirt DES ;)

Jayz Anto, must you must think I was a horse of a young fellah if that's the case. More into Holister or Abercrombie these days...

Anywayz, back on topic. Last night was spent finalising the inner cab lining and tablet catcher spaces at the cab ends. I also sanded down the curves and cleaned up the window opes as well as assembling and shaping the patterns for the two fuel tank elements. Finally, the engine access panels were shaped and riveted prior to being fixed to the roof.

Edited by Weshty
bloody typos.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Des top modelling, and thanks for keeping us updated through the pre production phase it shows great faith in your ability to deliver the goods. I was admonished myself at one point for even suggesting that manufacturers should keep us updated on the progress of models as it would stir up resentment and dissent, but everyone is really enjoying the updates from Murphy Models, Dave and Marks De Dietrich's and your own products, well done to all of you. In the second pic it kind of bears a passing resemblance to a Baby or 071 around the cab front.

Rich,

...In the second pic it kind of bears a passing resemblance to a Baby or 071 around the cab front.

Rich,

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a certain Mr O V Bulleid looked out his office window in Inchicore, noticed the shape of a Sulzer cab and gained inspiration for the design of the 'Irish Cab' of the GMs...

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a certain Mr O V Bulleid looked out his office window in Inchicore, noticed the shape of a Sulzer cab and gained inspiration for the design of the 'Irish Cab' of the GMs...

Bullied did not want the order for the A and C class's to

go to MV and had wanted the CIE board to look at American

loco builders and in particular GM.However as we know his

advice was not taken and the large order went to MV.

I have read some good articles about this on IRRS journals.

The IRRS Journal is invaluable as a source of historical accuracy Eamonn.

Rich,

Just saw the post on the last page

Can't wait

Also does anyone know of anywhere with pic's of the Sulzers in different liveries ?

BabyGM

The instructions will include as much detail as possible in terms of the different liveries. Remember the SSM strapline, "everything included, apart from paint and labour"!!.

BabyGM

The instructions will include as much detail as possible in terms of the different liveries. Remember the SSM strapline, "everything included, apart from paint and labour"!!.

great

The model in it's current state looks excellent

It should be a big success once it comes out:tumbsup:

BabyGM

Maybe even some decals to complete the livery, such as the white area above the windows on the front of the cab on the black livery? :rolleyes:

Guest hidden-agenda

And a coffee for the late night builders.

Yep, he made it quite clear he wasn't impressed with British diesels. It's even more astonishing that CIÉ decided to persevere with the order considering that Bulleid would've seen a lot of the UK diesels close up at the end of his time with British Railways (and had two prototype diesel locos of his own built)...