42ft Container flat - 3D FUD

Rate this topic

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Thought all the bubbles were really the same project no 2, hence the difference liveries of the identical models were labelled packs A-F.  If my memory is not failing me I thought when first announced the Taras are named as project 3, but I'm sure the lads can clarify.

Intrigued :) Looking forward to the meet up on the 3rd. It will be a class event. 

You are correct Noel, Tara is project three, bubbles was two. and ..... is four. And dont get me started on 5 and 6! 

Must admit I get confused the odd time myself! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

My wish would be the early 42' round buffers , ride control bogie hauled by a black and tan A class with some of Leslie's 20' CIE containers as per the picture below.

Image (124).jpg

Agree round buffer all the way. FYI, that's not a black and tan livery A class in the photo - its super train livery (i.e. orange and black) :) Black and Tan are basically all black with a white stripe and a small or narrow tan band above the chassis.  It can seem confusing cause tan and orange all look orange from a distance :) You cannot beat C-Rail containers for quality and precise detail, as somebody already said earlier B&I is the missing link.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

That is indeed "black'n'tan". It's got a white line below the black roof.

What may be confusing is the full-height orange/tan band round the lower sides. It was more usual for the smaller, lower, dipped orange/tan along the side. Other versions during the 1960s had locos in all-black, no orange at all, with white line, or same with a yellow patch on the front.

"Supertrain" was all over orange, roof included, with broad black band round middle. That was introduced in 1972 and with nothing more than a new logo and new white lines, changed into the "tippex" livery in 1987.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

So i don't need a visit to specsavers!!

Apologies no you don't - my mistake. I had another tab open with another black and white photo of a super train A class. I need to visit fingersavers. :)  Your fab pic is of an early version of the B&T livery before they were rebuilt and ended up with the narrower stepped tan band. Mind you it looks like there is an 'R' after the loco number so could have been one of those Patrick alluded to. 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Noel , I think thats an 'R' beside a number , these wagons were  introduced about 1971 the A class re engine program was in full swing at this stage , in the background you can see Bullied open wagons and to the right a 20T Guards Van , out with the old and in with the new .

Edited by flange lubricator

Only one or two had the full height band after re-engining. I think it was the first two, or two out of the first three. All the others for the lower tan band until being "supertrained" during the 1970s. 

You could still get the odd black'n'tan one almost up to 1980. The last I saw in that livery was a 141 leaving Westport which I think  was 1978 or 79.

A bit like now - there's still an occasional black and silver 071 - yet the grey has been in for several years now.

• Informative 1

That confirms the Bachmann Y25 is a close enough match for those wagons.  The Cambrian alternatives don't even come with wheels nor axle bearings. Too much hassle!!! Interested to see what Neil's next set look like.  They will have the round buffers and mounts for the Bachmann Y25 bogies.

Livery note; in the last five years or so, many wagons go into traffic with black bogie frames as seen above, and multi-coloured bits within. Prior to that, always brown. Four wheelers always brown, or grey when bodies were. Exceptions: ammonia wagons - dark green bogies. Curtain cement 4-wheelers - blue wheels / axleguards etc same as sides.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2018 at 10:46 PM, flange lubricator said:

That looks very like  a white line and black roof to me and if my eyes are not gone bad altogether that looks like a broken circle on the side of the loco!!!!!

I too was thrown by the b/w image. :)

The engine was A59R, and the scene was set up for the press to record the 'new' wagon, particularly alongside the older bulleid wagons and the earlier shorter flats.

On the subject of liveries and the B+I liner workings, the early runs of this train featured locomotive B206 (the first re-engined C Class), and which featured the wider tan band, believed to be the only B201 Class engine with this livery variant. When locomotive A1R become Supertrain '001' it first had shaded numerals and a black roof but I don't think the remaining A Class locos were similarly outshopped. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

merry experts - 

Were there two or more batches of the 47 footers ? As the bogie to vehicle ends  distance differ in the photos above . 

thanks

Robert 

That's because the first one is a 42 foot example.

Rich,

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

merry experts - 

Were there two or more batches of the 47 footers ? As the bogie to vehicle ends  distance differ in the photos above . 

thanks

Robert 

There was one batch of 47 footers 30279-30284 built for keg traffic in 1978, these wagons were used to carry containers when container traffic from Ballina to Dublin and Waterfrd Ports resumed about 10 years ago. ironically the 62' bogie log wagons in the background of the Ballina photos were originally introduced as container flats in the early 1980s and converted to carry logs after mail traffic finished in the 1990s

I feel sorry for Neil over on RMweb since he produced some stunning 42 ft wagons using Shapeways 3D FUD, but IRMs 2018 product line up has put paid to his efforts.  Just bad timing and choosing the wrong prototype.  It is still good though to see guys with top class 3D design experience come up with Irish models.  Most of the other Irish 00 gauge stuff over on Shapeways is not of the best design quality and being WSF requires quite a bit of work to smooth down the surfaces.  The B113 'dalek' sulzer looks a bit of a horror story.

3D is improving all the time though and FUD may yet have a future for producing niche models that don't make it into the future plans of IRM or MM.

47 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Ironically the 62' bogie log wagons in the background of the Ballina photos were originally introduced as container flats in the early 1980s and converted to carry logs after mail traffic finished in the 1990s'

Then when the timber traffic to Sligo stopped, a batch of the 62fts then had their stanchons removed and were converted for the CWR train for the PWD. 

This has caused an issued recently when it was discovered that there are now not enough 62ft timber wagons to increase from 12 to 18 wagon timber trains after the trials for 36 to 54 TEUs were completed last year.

Edited by Railer

36 minutes ago, Railer said:

Then ................. it was discovered that there are now not enough 62ft timber wagons to increase from 12 to 18 wagon timber trains after the trials for 36 to 54 TEUs were completed last year.

You'd think they would have thought of that before conducting the tests!

Edited by jhb171achill

15 hours ago, Eiretrains said:

......On the subject of liveries and the B+I liner workings, the early runs of this train featured locomotive B206 (the first re-engined C Class), and which featured the wider tan band, believed to be the only B201 Class engine with this livery variant. When locomotive A1R become Supertrain '001' it first had shaded numerals and a black roof but I don't think the remaining A Class locos were similarly outshopped. 

As far as the black roof was concerned, my recollection is that this was unique, yes. As for the shaded numerals, quite a few engines had this initially. I have a picture somewhere of a 181 (I think it was 190) with numerals shaded, and the A class had them too. I don't recall seeing them on Cs or 121s though, however they might have appeared on 121s.

Obviously with any livery change it doesn't happen overnight. Look at the 29 class railcars; it's years since the first one was repainted in two tone green, yet many (most?) still carry the grotesque lime green and navy blue. When they started repainting locos into the "Supertrain" livery, the C class had only recently been repainted Black and Tan after re-engining, so they tended to repainted into "Supertrain" later.

The first "Supertrain" liveried locos I saw myself were a pair of 121s on a Cork train about to leave Heuston. Brand newly done - you could practically smell the new paint.

It seems that initially, anything repainted got the shaded numerals but they dropped the idea pretty soon.

13 minutes ago, Railer said:

I think it was just done to see how well it would work. Only to come to terms there are not enough for 2x 18 wagon rakes plus maintenance and cripple spares.

How many flats do IE have the days?

Edited by jhb171achill

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

As far as the black roof was concerned, my recollection is that this was unique, yes. As for the shaded numerals, quite a few engines had this initially. I have a picture somewhere of a 181 (I think it was 190) with numerals shaded, and the A class had them too. I don't recall seeing them on Cs or 121s though, however they might have appeared on 121s.

Aside from what is known of locomotive 001's own style and the A Class fleet, which I had specifically referred to in my post, yes some GMs received those deep shaded numerals, 190 being a well known one due to her stint on the last passenger operated days of the WRC in 1976, and thus crops up now and again in photos from that time. An odd one of the modern period was 201 Class engine 202 which had those exact same style numerals from the 1970s, making it easily identifiable in a way that locomotive 001 would have stood out amongst other similarly liveried A Class 'Supertrain' engines in the 1970s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eiretrains said:

Aside from what is known of locomotive 001's own style and the A Class fleet, which I had specifically referred to in my post, yes some GMs received those deep shaded numerals, 190 being a well known one due to her stint on the last passenger operated days of the WRC in 1976, and thus crops up now and again in photos from that time. An odd one of the modern period was 201 Class engine 202 which had those exact same style numerals from the 1970s, making it easily identifiable in a way that locomotive 001 would have stood out amongst other similarly liveried A Class 'Supertrain' engines in the 1970s.

As far as I am aware the highlighted numbers were hand painted and this is now done by stencil, transfers , interestingly enough you mention 202 which was involved in  mishap with 182  about 1998 /99 this coincided with the restoration of saloon 351 and some of the retired painters were involved in this project and were working on 351 at about the time 202 was being repaired , so possibly they did the highlighted numbers on 202  ????

49 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

As far as I am aware the highlighted numbers were hand painted and this is now done by stencil, transfers , interestingly enough you mention 202 which was involved in  mishap with 182  about 1998 /99 this coincided with the restoration of saloon 351 and some of the retired painters were involved in this project and were working on 351 at about the time 202 was being repaired , so possibly they did the highlighted numbers on 202  ????

Thanks for that info, I wasn't sure why 202 may have have acquired those style of numbers after delivery in 1994. I just checked the IRRS Journals and 202 is recorded as having a mishap first in Ballinasloe in 1997 and secondly with 182 in February 1998. Likewise I recall been told that 202's shaded numbers came about because of some of the 'old' Inchicore staff.

• Like 1