Interested in owning your own 461?

Rate this topic

heirflick

Interesting. Is your proposal RTR or are you going to be putting subtle pressure on SSM to design a kit?

Chassis for 461 would - on the face of it - be simple; no visible valve gear, but plenty of space between the frames (in 21mm) to have working cranks and inside motion.

My name's already down for NCC "WT"/Jeep no.4, which Worsley Works have been quietly slaving over for a little while!

It would be interesting to see, but economics stand against a ready-to-run model of 461. Only two such locomotives were built for the DSER, so there would be limited appeal in that regard. A brass kit would certainly be a possibility, though... as far as I know, no other DSER locos have been produced commercially, and the two moguls got to stretch their legs beyond their old stamping ground under GSR/CIÉ, giving more modellers an excuse to run one.

Looks like SSM or Worsley, then. Can't wait to see the look on Des's face when you approach him with "a proposition".....!

Just when he was starting to get some sleep at night, too! :P

He slaved over the 800 class kit for a loooong time, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for an SSM DSER mogul to hit the market just yet...

Edited by Garfield

Slightly OT, but when I saw 461 appear in a film (it may have been Michael Collins), there was something quite weird about the way it moved. It may have been the quality of the track, or possibly the camera itself but as it came towards the camera, it actually appeared to bounce on its springs with every revolution of the driving wheels. I've never seen anything quite like that before or since!

Slightly OT, but when I saw 461 appear in a film (it may have been Michael Collins), there was something quite weird about the way it moved. It may have been the quality of the track, or possibly the camera itself but as it came towards the camera, it actually appeared to bounce on its springs with every revolution of the driving wheels. I've never seen anything quite like that before or since!

I've seen it do that with my own eyes passing at speed through Castleknock station years ago.

the two moguls got to stretch their legs beyond their old stamping ground under GSR/CIÉ, giving more modellers an excuse to run one.

Also the fact that it is active today in preservation. As far as I can see the majority of Irish modellers model diesel era and an RPSI special is the perfect excuse to take out the kettle for a spin!

I also would take a model of 461, if you think about its appeal over lots of era"s why not put the idea to Mr Murphy? Just look at all the small market locos appearing on the British scene,I"ll bet superD"S are not flying off shelves like they did when first released. And ready to run must have a wide appeal to the younger market.

Is"nt 461 on coil springs? this would give a very bouncey ride as there would be little damping, which is what you get with leaf springs.

Guest hidden-agenda

I enjoyed the film and its probably the track that is used today is,nt laid to take the hammer blow that steam locos create as well as the suspension type used on 461 but the more i look at the loco the more i want to build one or two.

I'd love to see a kit produced. I'd love to have a go at building one. It a beautiful loco especially in the new green livery.

Rich,

Not sure about green much prefer black or GSR grey for freight locos.

461 would be an excellent beginners scratch-building project either in plasticard or metal on the old Triang 3F or Airfix/Hornby 4F chassis.

Drawing© Alan Roone 1971 the drawing is from a set of 4 including No90, 184 & A39r but do not include a section or plan view. We would need someone to take some measurements and photos.

DSER 2-6-0 No 15.jpg

DSER 2-6-0 No 15.jpg

Edited by Mayner

john, fair play to you - the hornby 4f.....now thats a thought thats going to fester! have been compairing your drawing with a pic of a 4f. lenghten the cab, extend the frane at the front , stick in a pony truck, remodel wheel arches and replace the dome........conversion doable?

Edited by heirflick

john, fair play to you - the hornby 4f.....now thats a thought thats going to fester! have been compairing your drawing with a pic of a 4f. lenghten the cab, extend the frane at the front , stick in a set of trailing wheels, remodel wheel arches and replace the dome........conversion doable?

I did one years ago on a Triang-Hornby Jinty chassis plasticard body, boiler from brass tube, scratchbuilt tender, few evenings work but scrapped the loco cause I wasnt happy with the motor sticking out the back of the cab.

Going forward with David's idea it would be fairly simple to do a set of scratchbuilders parts for a brass body with a nickle silver chassis if you wanted something that runs better with the drive on the loco.

The main snag and cost/time involvedin sourcing/producing parts like boiler fittings, axleguards & buffers, parts like wheels gears motors, bearings are readily available from the UK.

Drawing© Alan Roone 1971 the drawing is from a set of 4 including No90, 184 & A39r but do not include a section or plan view. We would need someone to take some measurements and photos.

Unless i'm mistaken, that appears to be a CAD drawing. I'd love to know if it was redrawn from a pen and ink version, or was he a very early adopter/creator of early CAD systems? It wouldn't be too difficult to interpolate chassis plans, sections, front and rear views from the above, but more photos would help. Richie.

This thread seems to have spread a bit onto possible resin or brass bodies on commercially available chassis, so I thought I'd just add to the general thinking by mentioning that in the book "The Midland Great Western Railway of Ireland" by Ernie Shepherd ( Midland Publishing 1994 ISBN 1-85780-008-7) there are 4mm scale drawings of :~

Class Lm 0-6-0 Tender Loco No. 135 Arran Isles which, I think "could" be pretty close to the new Bachmann LMS ex-Midland 3F Class loco chassis; and

Class E 0-6-0 No 110 Bat which, I think "could" be pretty close to the Hornby (ex-Dapol) LBSC 'Terrier' Loco chassis.

Just food for thought :-bd

BTW If "anyone" does do any Irish body to go on a commercial chassis - put me down for one, please =D

How about a NIR WT 2-6-4T Body to fit a Bachmann Blackburn chassis :banana:

Frank S

Good to see that you are developing a healthy interest in Midland engines :tumbsup:

I have one of the Standard Goods and an Achill Bogie on the to do list probably as a set of scratchbuilders parts for use with SSM E Class boiler fittings rather than a fully fledged kits.

The Bachmann 3F would be nice but too long for the Midland & most Irish 0-6-0s a DSER engine like 461 or one of J8 0-6-0 would probably be the best compromise for a 3 or 4F Chassis

The Hornby Dean Goods is probably closest in size to the J15 and Midland standard goods and Bachmann/Mainline J72 and has been used as a basis for the Midland E CIE/GSR J26 an extremly usefull little engine, that did good work on the Midland, Waterford and Tramore, West Cork and around Tralee.

Class J26 - 554 - M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T, built 1891 by Sharp Stewart as Midland & Great Western Railway No.109 FLY - 1925 to GSR as No.554, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1960 - seen here at Galway, 04/55.

I will pass on 4mm drawings of 90 & 184 which would be good to compare with a Terrier and 184

Edited by Mayner