New book-Irish railways line by line

Rate this topic

ttc0169

Hi all,

There is a new book on irish railways about to be published by my good friend Jim Edgar,

It is the first in a series of books on Irish railways covering the period from the early 1970s to the mid 2000s,

The cost is £11.50 with £4.00 P&P and can be purchased directly from his website at www.markle.co.uk,

Also the RPSI have some for sale on their website,

I would highly recommend the book as a valuable resource for modellers of that iconic period,with some rare photos of long gone locations,locomotives and traffic.

3AEB447C-A676-480C-B9A8-DCA48910FBDD.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Informative 1

53 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Noel, is there a series of these intended on different lines and if so which ones and over the same time period?

Yes DC,

Jim does have plans for books on other lines-e.g the south and south west and east and south east in due course-and yes all covering the same time period. 
if you like the 1970s to the early to mid 2000s then this one is I deal for you. 

56 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Looks good! Nice pic of the Loughrea train on the cover........

And 97 more colour photos between the front and rear covers….!!!

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

There's one about to appear from my end of things, relating to the Tipperary area (should be out before the end of October), and another after that which is in progress..........

I'm not the only one who spent the lockdown at a keyboard, it seems!  😉

Well Done John and the lockdown led me to start writing articles and working on Disused Stations website etc. Whilst a series of chats at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre (DRHC) and the discovery of many unpublished photos of the other railway in County Donegal has resulted in my first railway book. This will be published in early October by the DRHC. With all profits raised going towards mainly the Drumboe fund, from this book "The Lough Swilly Remembered". Details to order will soon be posted here and on the DRHC website. Special thanks to Ernie in particular.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of the book landed to day and devoured ! great pictures of times past and useful captions as well . I look forward to future volumes.

Jim has bought together the round number of 99 pictures! and this must be just a drop in the ocean of the pictures taken from 1974 so much more good stuff to come .

Thanks Jim! 

Robert

If of use the ISBN : 978-1-5136-8868-8

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of this book yesterday and it's superb, infact when ttc0169 posted up about this book I couldn't believe it and I didn't have to think about it, a book by Jim Edgar has to be good and it is, his films down the years are excellent and the photos in this book are even better, what I really like about this book is the text under the photos are all written by the photographer himself, so you do get a first hand account, in Jim's text he really brings the photos to life, photos no40 and 41 in the book, Charlestown and Swinford on the Claremorris to Collooney line (Burma Rd) in the final months of operation, he really captures the atmosphere, and proof read by Noel Enright, well it doesn't get better than that, Noel's knowledge and particular west of Ireland, you won't find many errors. This book is a steal, very reasonable price for some great photos and very informative text making it a great book and this is only VOLUME1, I'm really looking forward to VOLUME2 and 3 etc etc.

Regards

hgricer

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Line by Line: I don't need to add to the comments above, except to say that Jim has written good factual captions, nicely laced with anecdotes which help to bring the "steam railway now run by diesels" to life.

You can get a copy from The Syndicate (UK only, sorry) and so assist Irish railway preservation (mainly the RPSI). Funds from such sales assisted us to buy thousands of Henry Casserley's negatives  in 2019 and 2020 - they will be made more visible and available in 2022 (if I and my team find the time!).

Simply send me a PM, or e-mail me and a copy can be winging its way to you

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a shout out about this book. While it's been overshadowed a bit by Rails through T. It has an outstanding level of explanatory material with great photos.  Great credit to the author.   Loving the recent book releases which give us hard copy reference material for Irish modelling of eras long gone.  Keep em coming!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Just a shout out about this book. While it's been overshadowed a bit by Rails through T. It has an outstanding level of explanatory material with great photos.  Great credit to the author.   Loving the recent book releases which give us hard copy reference material for Irish modelling of eras long gone.  Keep em coming!

Volumes two and three of this particular project are ongoing with volume two expected in the next few months,
As the author is not on this forum he wishes to thank everyone for their tremendous support for volume one. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Volumes two and three of this particular project are ongoing with volume two expected in the next few months,
As the author is not on this forum he wishes to thank everyone for their tremendous support for volume one. 

Any idea of current stock levels on Vol 1 Noel? I ask because I definitely want a copy, but was hoping to wait until all 3 volumes are available to save on postage, but I also don't want to miss out by waiting 😉

Hi Murph

It was a pretty short run and is nearly sold out.

If you're in the UK, you can buy it from The Syndicate (PM me), if in "Europe (meaning the Republic)", then the RPSI is an option, as they send from within the "borders".

Happy New Year from Big Bad Brexitland - historians will pillory Johnson and Co just as we do Chamberlain, although he was not the only culprit by far!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Any idea of current stock levels on Vol 1 Noel? I ask because I definitely want a copy, but was hoping to wait until all 3 volumes are available to save on postage, but I also don't want to miss out by waiting 😉

I wouldn’t hang around……

• Like 1

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Ok chaps, thanks for the warning. I will order it without delay from Markle so! Leslie, I'm in Germany, so I think that's my best option 🙂

Phil,  I got mine here in Tassy direct from Markle (Jim himself) so hopefully you won't have any problems. Couple of emails and sorted...

Cheers.      John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

That was quick. Mine will have to run the customs gauntlet coming out of GB. Might get lucky though as books seem to slip through the letter post system rather than be handled as parcels.

It is a slim enough tome - sent in a card-backed envelope, so you should be ok I reckon!

• Informative 2

Got mine today, Not sent in a Jiffy bag and came in wet damaged unfortunately Also got the Steaming Sixties. must of misread that title as there only trains in it ;)

It does tend to rain from time to time in Good ol Ireland. (wait for DJ to step in with what is rain question :) )

If the RPSI lads are on this forum maybe invest in some weather proof packaging.

IMG_9505.thumb.JPG.b4a26952bb293bad539b77d3fbb43ca4.JPG

IMG_9507.thumb.JPG.2b6f4441172d2bcf7e5a9eb83badfdf5.JPG

Edit: Thought I did not recognise the book, I ordered the Steam in the 1960s End of an Era but got The Steaming Sixties No.11

image.png.f36e8fa1e6667643d2cc9ce1f467787e.png

image.png.5a27770bc47f1dc900b047bf0602a1f7.png

Should of been this one!!

image.thumb.png.74fa20289b821ccde618a4c50220d285.png

ah Well something a bit different!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, Georgeconna said:

Got mine today, Not sent in a Jiffy bag and came in wet damaged unfortunately Also got the Steaming Sixties. must of misread that title as there only trains in it ;)

It does tend to rain from time to time in Good ol Ireland. (wait for DJ to step in with what is rain question :) )

If the RPSI lads are on this forum maybe invest in some weather proof packaging.

IMG_9505.thumb.JPG.b4a26952bb293bad539b77d3fbb43ca4.JPG

IMG_9507.thumb.JPG.2b6f4441172d2bcf7e5a9eb83badfdf5.JPG

Edit: Thought I did not recognise the book, I ordered the Steam in the 1960s End of an Era but got The Steaming Sixties No.11

image.png.f36e8fa1e6667643d2cc9ce1f467787e.png

image.png.5a27770bc47f1dc900b047bf0602a1f7.png

Should of been this one!!

image.thumb.png.74fa20289b821ccde618a4c50220d285.png

ah Well something a bit different!

George, I know the mail order folks at Whitehead. Not sure if they read this, so I will pass on your message.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Volume two of this series of books by Jim Edgar can now be purchased,

Check out the RPSI website www.steamtrainsireland.com/shop

As with volume one this is another essential read for modellers of the 1970s,80s and 1990s era on CIE/IR. 

68291F09-C35C-422E-B171-B53D5D22FFC5.jpeg

Edited by ttc0169
  • Like 2