Northport Quay

Rate this topic

David Holman

On 13/8/2023 at 10:21 PM, David Holman said:

Uckfield - 20th and 21st October, Leslie. I believe you may have some 36.75mm gauge items and visiting stock, which lets face it is pretty rare, will always be welcome.

Ah marvellous, always good to see some proper broad gauge out and about.

Nestor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Things remain far from ideal with the shuttle unit I bought for my crane. I returned it to the maker, with explanation of the problem & it came back a few days later, with my note, but no explanation. Reconnecting it to the [isolated] crane track, things clearly still weren't right, although after doing a 'factory reset', things did start to work. However, in fine tuning the shuttle to my short length of track, it suddenly stopped working again, with the same problem - just 0.5 volts output, which of course is no use whatsoever. Maybe it is me, but the instructions have been carefully followed and, on a one metre piece of straight track, unconnected to the rest of the layout & with its own, separate 12v feed it is fair to say I am disappointed...

Have given the shuttle unit to our club electronics guru, who knows plenty about these things, so will await his findings. At the moment, I'm not inclined to mess about with it & the crane may well revert to manual control.

Meanwhile, and completely separate from the issues with the shuttle unit, I discovered that the axles I'd used on the crane were not giving the correct 34mm back to back. I think they were from some wheels I got from the late Richard Chown's estate. Not sure why the B2Bs are about a millimetre too wide, but in trying to replace them, came close to knackering the High Level gearbox - causing the gears to bind when the multistage box flexes in one direction. Think I've managed to fix it by glueing two small squares of plasticard to the underside of the frame, in effect stopping it from flexing, but then found the gearbox was dragging along the ground. Not good...

My solution has been to replace the Lomac wheels with ones of a larger diameter and, for now, all seems well and the crane runs with its wheels on the rails, not its flanges! You might also see that that I've added a piece of wire, which bears on the unpowered axle, giving simple three point compensation & [much] improved pick up and smoother running.

DSCN5443.thumb.jpeg.646a8887839e4e9447968a725439cb8e.jpeg

DSCN5444.thumb.jpeg.96a70ba7bc2122c885bf7deca5a95857.jpeg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...

While awaiting a verdict on the crane shuttle unit, have continued to work on layout presentation: lighting, pelmets, display notes & so on. Indeed, an opportunity has arisen for a trial run in two weeks time as it is the 1940s weekend at Chatham Historic Dockyard, so have volunteered to show NPQ on the Sunday [10th September] & have been given a space in the main cafe.

Given that this is not a model railway show, hopefully that means a bit less pressure in terms of a public debut. Hopefully, it will also be a chance for a couple of my operators to experience the new AJ couplings, while a bit of practice in loading up the car, setting up and so on will not go amiss either. If the shuttle unit can't deliver, then I'll wire the crane track to the main controller, so a bit of trundling back and forth should still be possible.

Hopefully the 'to do' list afterwards won't be too long & there will still be a month to go before Uckfield. Was wondering whether to take the 1950s or 1900s stock with me, but given it is a 1940s weekend, then the former seems more appropriate. Below is Railcar 2b - very much from that era. For those not familiar with Arigna Town, I used the Alphagraphix card kit as a template to scratchbuild the model in plasticard on a nickel silver chassis. The 'Howden-Meredith' patent wheels are simply Slater's wagon wheels with a slice from the tyres of a Corgi Liptons Tea Van.

DSCN5446.thumb.jpeg.ec9354f60aadd6962104ee21e029cb0c.jpeg

DSCN5447.thumb.jpeg.ae711fe5c104b94a85e7bbc81bac16a2.jpeg

• Like 13
  • WOW! 2

Fabulous. One of the most unique Irish models out there. And also, incidentally, a model of the last SLNC rolling stock to work the line under power - 2 years after closure! Photo evidence I recently came across shows 2A, shorn of trailer, apparently helping with lifting work near Manorhamilton in the summer of 1959! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

All things being equal, NPQ's dress rehearsal worked out fairly well today. There was a great atmosphere in Chatham Dockyard for its 1940s weekend, with lots of people in costume, including many in Services uniform. Can't have been much for for some of them as it was over 90F and humid too...

Chatham Model club were in the Engine Shed, with two industrial diesels for company. The floor was nice and flat, so no complaints about setting up, while everything fits in my car - albeit pretty snugly. At first, things didn't go well - thought my controller had failed, until I realised that I'd plugged in all three transformers in the wrong sockets... Once that was sorted, the layout ran reasonably well. The Alex Jackson couplings still need a bit more adjustment, while one of the wagons needs replacing, pending a chassis rebuild because it derails.

Two of the locos didn't function well, though it turns out to be my own fault. The Deutz needed a bit more lead ballast, but I added two much at one end, so it is very unbalanced and won't pull anything in one direction. Same problem with the J19, where in refixing the fall plate between loco and tender I'd inadvertently lifted the rear drivers a fraction off the rails. The latter easily fixed, but just as well I took 0-4-2T Lark with me, which proved an ideal substitute for the little diesel.

A short list of other bits and pieces requires attention - but at least I know before its first proper outing to Uckfield next month, when hopefully it will not be quite so hot! Below are a few pictures from the day.

DSCN5467.thumb.jpeg.79a915d76d4451a3b5d7a4a4b6ebe604.jpeg

DSCN5466.thumb.jpeg.4253e7d01e93952a6e621e123fd82fcf.jpeg

DSCN5469.thumb.jpeg.c72d7f490cfa4f3f44451b29d554a8d0.jpeg

DSCN5470.thumb.jpeg.c8301531d386df96b43b8f703662b22c.jpeg

DSCN5471.thumb.jpeg.26e471e3f005f6282cae88faef3a63a8.jpeg

DSCN5472.thumb.jpeg.f7b5840f959b1eb0a18a55bfd31b6e0e.jpeg

DSCN5473.thumb.jpeg.053b73292d2d876eae8db6ef16da586c.jpeg

• Like 14
  • WOW! 5

Glad all went well. Really hope I can see this layout for real soon - love the atmosphere and always good to see Sir Henry making an appearance. Know what you mean about the uniform - can’t imagine what it must have been like fighting in NW Europe in that gear in either heat or damp - can’t imagine it dries quickly. I’m quite happy to keep my historical re-enactment to 1/43 scale! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm really pleased I took the opportunity to do a dress rehearsal with NPQ last Sunday. Every time you take a layout to a show, you learn something new about it [mostly through something going wrong], so am very much hoping the experience will improve things for its proper debut at Uckfield.

Much of this week has been spent fettling various bits and pieces, including a nasty kink in one rail in the runnel and making sure the track is smooth across the joints from the fiddle yard to the layout. Some more weight at the front of the Deutz means that can now earn its living again too.

Another issue which came up was that we could run the whole sequence of seven trains in not much more than 20 minutes - mainly because only two were doing any shunting, with the rest just 'out and back'. Solving this caused much stirring of the grey matter, but eventually worked out that I could swap a wagon from the mixed train into the right hand siding, as per a similar move using the J26 and its short goods.

It turned out to be a bit more complicated than that though because to make this happen several wagons needed to have AJ couplings added, while the same thing was also needed for two trains on the 1900s period. While doing this, I decided that several wagons needed swapping around as their chassis were less than perfect and really could do with some compensation units added. However, for now, there is enough spare stock without resorting to major surgery, though I must admit it will be nice to get back to some proper modelling once Uckfield is out the way - my broad gage stock hadn't turned a while for over two years, so a lot of servicing has been needed, plus the fitting [and testing] of all those couplings! Some cosmetic work is still required too...

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the J26 and its revised train. Quite an eclectic mix too, with a 'modern' H van, followed by an ancient Sligo 'semi', an equally antediluvian GNRI box van, to say nothing of the ex GSWR brake bringing up the rear.

DSCN5475.thumb.jpeg.9d8d0bc897475e0401adc1ab5531fe31.jpeg

After running round, the loco removes the brake and GN van, moving these to the headshunt.

DSCN5476.thumb.jpeg.e76381a33c8e6206ee7d494deaf24ebc.jpeg

The loco can then pick up the van in the right hand siding [in this case a Sligo box van] and attach this to the brake.

DSCN5477.thumb.jpeg.08e2dce445782ec5b754b73c3903d7b6.jpeg

DSCN5478.thumb.jpeg.aaa0202e73f6447fd8879294221cf190.jpeg

The GNR van can then be pushed into the siding, after which the Sligo van and brake go to the headshunt, under the crane.

DSCN5479.thumb.jpeg.d75b2f1de5f5a984888a97f190cc6473.jpeg

Finally, after running round and coupling up the four wagons, the train is ready to depart, as the signal shows!

DSCN5480.thumb.jpeg.3d18d23569456314b04901f7c1579c17.jpeg

This third shunting move helps balance the overall sequence with three out of seven trains doing more than just run round. Remembering to shuttle the crane up and down should mean the sequence now last about 30-40 minutes.

There is quite a scoop for this year's Uckfield show, with no less than five of Iain Rice's layouts appearing. NPQ will try and match that on the Sunday, with no less than five SLNCR 0-6-4Ts on show: thanks to Galteemore coming to help. Ok, the layout is only one engine in steam, but the photo opportunities should be good!

• Like 17
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of these days, I will get back to making something because since I completed the E class kit, everything has revolved around getting NPQ exhibition ready. At times, it has seemed that I've done little but tinker and fettle with the Alex Jackson couplings - though at least I largely understand them now, in particular, what you can get away with... hopefully [!].

However, a tag from Galteemore & Ernie's amazing photo archive got me looking at some early Arigna Town stuff, to whit a certain dog/lion/dragon/leprechaun box on a Sligo Leitrim platform. It had caught my attention to the extent that I did indeed make a model, which still resides at Belmullet/Arigna Town. Made of plastic sheet and strip, it was lettered with a white gel pen.

DSCN5483.jpeg.ab6d5a3089a48e4bf41cacbde1fbdb27.jpeg

Meanwhile, going through all my stock to pick out the better/most appropriate items for NPQ, I've included a couple of SLNCR cattle vans, to go with a more recent GSWR open cattle van and a couple of horse boxes. 

The Sligo cattle vans were batch built as a rake of five, though sadly, I fear they are too small, having used the Alphagraphix card kit as a drawing. However, they still look the part on NPQ, including one with a load of hand made cattle. I used DAS clay on a 'skeleton' of plastic sheet, suitably filed to shape and painted to look a bit like Irish Moyles. I cheated a bit with them as they have simple, straight legs, which can't be seen inside the van.

Later, I made a small herd of more detailed cattle, with properly shaped legs and painted black to represent Galloways. These have been grazing on Belmullet for a few years, but thought it would be nice to put them in the GSWR open van, as can been seen below.

DSCN5485.thumb.jpeg.3aa8d1eedbefaf07851c81a058b70b59.jpeg

DSCN5486.thumb.jpeg.d6a3ddf5f2de2086fa52545c71e76d32.jpeg

DSCN5487.thumb.jpeg.33868b19c150a8fe5f5f0e7169551a53.jpeg

• Like 17

Finished?

Is a model railway ever finished? Probably not, but currently am thinking this is as far as I want to take things for now, because I don't want to overload what is quite a small scene with too much detail. A few more small details have been added, plus the donkey cart is now on scene too. You can look for a station barrow, the Collooney 'dog box', a chap reading his paper and some 'enamel' advertising signs. The paint brush has been busy too, touching up here and there.

I've taken a load of pictures, mainly as a bit of proof reading to see if there are any glaring errors. If anybody spots anything, feel free to post. The Austin Seven will only be present in the 1950s period, of course.

DSCN5504.thumb.jpeg.77bcc842a27e15bce499fb3dacb0ff49.jpeg

DSCN5505.thumb.jpeg.b590d846662a3518e53e882802a222cf.jpeg

DSCN55062.thumb.jpeg.276448c49f2e6a4fa53bd93bfaa7e43c.jpeg

DSCN5507.thumb.jpeg.cfdef6a914fbd2eb591bb15f79ccd688.jpeg

DSCN5509.thumb.jpeg.0d1a1e8b4742485f724d6f51684484a8.jpeg

DSCN5512.thumb.jpeg.34f3019329b36334913bd8cc9bd5e297.jpeg

DSCN5513.thumb.jpeg.97b6faf1f670851f0fcaa7260a163bdc.jpeg

DSCN5517.thumb.jpeg.5a19d73155c70ec4eaf660b046b23594.jpeg

DSCN5520.thumb.jpeg.a565cd2ee8f0a8a7cb8c670feb8fd343.jpeg

DSCN5521.thumb.jpeg.9454ae64accd386d8f43ee816fac7eed.jpeg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 4

6 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Perfectly realised. A coherent and believable scene with real atmosphere. Lovely stuff David. 

You may have already posted about this but did you manage to get the crane shuttle module working?

Afraid not, so gave up with it. Instead, the slide switch is linked to the main, hand held, controller. Hence, the crane can be manually operated in between other train movements. Not quite what I wanted, but it will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the worst day, but not the best either...

A bit like Belmullet's debut two years ago, a couple of annoying problems blighted much of the day. First was a dry joint on the entry track to the fiddle yard, but the major problem was a trestle in the wrong place, which caused both a serious ridge between the two scenic boards and put a bit of a gradient in the fiddle yard itself.

Unfortunately, the latter had to wait until late in the day before there was nobody around and could empty the train table and remove the fiddle yard base so the offending trestle could be shifted to the right place. As a result, both 0-6-0s tried to detail at the baseboard joint, as did some of the 6w coaches. Thankfully, shorter wheel base and bogie stock was not affected, though a push to make switch for the uncoupling magnet in the loop seems to have failed and will need to be replaced in the morning...

1950s day tomorrow, when we hope to have no less than five Sligo Leitrim tanks on show.

• Like 9
  • Informative 1

Absolutely top notch, as always with Holman productions!

I love the carriages. One newly painted maroon, another so shabby it's covered in brownish brake dust, the other in the absolutely atrocious state that one of the trio actually WAS in - bare wood showing, and what paint there was still visible was so faded, worn, weathered and dirty it could have been originally tartan and pink for all anybody might have known......  gawd knows what the interior was like!

The SLNCR's traffic manager told jhbSenior that he would rather borrow GNR or CIE stock for non-railcar passenger operations, he was so embarrassed by the state of their few remaining operable coaches. One of the bogies, and the shabbiest of all, brake 3rd no. 4, at least got a decent new coat of maroon not that long before the line closed. But apart from that, the easiest job on the whole railway in those days must have been the SLNCR (or, for that matter, CDRJC!) painter!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

Super pictures making a fine memory of a lovely day! The visiting SLNCR stock is every bit as good as it looks here and it was great to have them all, along with the three bogies too.

Overall, not bad for a first outing and the experience will hopefully make it better next time. That will be Portsmouth, on 18th November.

• Like 3

Uckfield was indeed a fine show. For me, the stand out layouts were Farringdon and Longwood Edge - the latter one of Iain Rice's final projects. It was a real stunner and [typical of Rice] a very clever, two level design, packing a huge amount of interest into a small space.

NPQ did ok for a first proper outing, but came away with a list of things that need work:

• Two of the push to make switches that operate the uncoupling magnets failed over the weekend. Given that they were the two most used ones, this perhaps points to the fact that more robust versions might be needed. They have been replaced, like for like, but may remain a problem waiting to happen.
  • Back in the workshop, the magnet in the loop still wasn't working satisfactorily & after a fair bit of frustration this week, finally realised that the M5 bolt which forms the core of the electromagnet was sitting too low. Only a millimetre or so, but enough cause some of the the couplings to not work properly. Bit of a bummer, but there you go. At least it was easy to fix.

DSCN5560.thumb.jpeg.07eac51c25cb2b11198c15fdf50b7415.jpeg

The other main issue centred around the fiddle yard. I'd done lots of test running in the workshop, but only shunting on the layout itself, as there was no room to set the whole thing up without taking over the lounge. Ok when the Domestic Authority is out but not really practical.  So, finally bit the bullet and took Belmullet to the Club storage tunnel in Chatham Historic Dockyard, so I could set up NPQ in the workshop.

The fiddle yard has received some serious surgery this week:

• The main frame has had about 5cm sawn off its sides, so it is both lighter and sits better on the support beams.
  • The train table has been shortened by about 15cm and also been made narrower, so it now only has five tracks in stead of seven. The also reduces weight, but makes it more manageable too. 7mm scale trains [even short ones] are heavy and rotating the fully loaded table was proving to be a two person job - rather stressful too. I'll still be taking six or seven train out to shows, but two will be spares that can vary the sequence during the day. I had several couplings fail over Uckfield and it is easier to swap an item of stock than try to repair it while exhibiting!

The photos below show the revised set up in my workshop. It also means I can alternate NPQ with Fintonagh, especially once I have adapted the train table to take 21mm gauge rails inside the 36.75mm ones.

DSCN5556.thumb.jpeg.dc1b58b948461260914b9c2c3f20e771.jpeg

DSCN5557.thumb.jpeg.1c8c330e21879af649b86c23f98b3364.jpeg

DSCN5558.thumb.jpeg.0c0c31dcbd1b6c3b60292321d9152003.jpeg

Anyway, the 1900s sequence now seems to operate more reliably in terms of the AJ auto-couplings, so fingers crossed for the Portsmouth Show in three weeks time. The GSWR goods has been replaced with a one of MGWR flavour with the E class 0-6-0T, 'glasshouse brake', 4w fish van and cattle wagon with one of Richard Chown's Dublin & Meath brake vans bringing up the rear. The cattle van is swapped with another in the right hand siding and the improved magnet makes this much more effective.

DSCN5559.thumb.jpeg.4042fc3cd79441403ef9bcf022ce7adc.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

The Portsmouth Show proved to have a lot of very high quality layouts. Indeed, I would not have been disappointed to get 'worst layout', were such an award given! Lots of interested and knowledgeable folk came to look and talk, so it was in many ways a nice day. However, NPQ is still not all it should be, not least because the 'ridge' in the main baseboard joint reappeared and was severe enough to derail Shannon in either direction. Wolf Dog and the 101 were decidedly unhappy, but managed to get through with care.

Part of the problem almost certainly came from the the varied heat and humidity of the weekend. The layout spent the night in my car & then Saturday morning was really wet, though luckily there was a brief window which let me get the boards into the hall unscathed. Normally, school sports halls are ideal, with high ceilings and flat floors, but as the venue warmed up, the humidity started to play havoc, so much so that in the middle of the day, the fiddle yard stiffened up considerably. Thankfully, things eased later, but it only goes to show the things that can affect exhibitors.

Back home and with time to think on the two hour drive home yesterday evening, did a thorough check on my overall set up which revealed several issues I hadn't been aware of:

• One of my trestles is actually half an inch higher than the other [!]
  • The beam extensions sag at the far end, by another half inch [!!]
  • Therefore one end of the layout is a full inch lower than the other, which equals a minimum gradient of 1 in 90...

Clearly, this doesn't help, but that ridge at the baseboard joint has meant I've had to strip out about half a metre of track and start relaying it. Again. Discovered that the fixing screws which the rails are soldered to at the join were sitting too high, but also the baseboard surface on the left hand board seems to have lifted slightly. Laying some new rail across the joint, shows there is minimal clearance between the bottom of the rail and the baseboard surface, so am going to have to find a way of sorting that out. At the moment, it may be I'll have to solder the rail to a few countersunk screws and the use thin card to represent the sleepers on a short stretch. I'll also be seeing if a bit of extra bracing is needed underneath the board.

All in all, a bit of a bummer, but at least I don't have another show until July at the moment.

DSCN5604.thumb.jpeg.6e92e1f52f542c99077cf72e0316184c.jpeg

DSCN5606.thumb.jpeg.bf9b0307ab301f1049c0e0f9fcff9540.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 5

31 minutes ago, David Holman said:

The Portsmouth Show proved to have a lot of very high quality layouts. Indeed, I would not have been disappointed to get 'worst layout', were such an award given!

As it happens I was discussing the Portsmouth Show not an hour since and agreed, there were some extraordinary layouts there (I wasnt there just looking at pictures), I remarked however that Northport Quay was the absolute highlight for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Investigations this morning revealed the cause of the ridge in the track. Turns out to be a case of not enough screws/glue/both to fix the baseboard to top the frame and the former had risen about 2mm in the centre. More than enough to derail a 7mm scale engine...

DSCN5607.thumb.jpeg.23d6471a7fc4fd5220945ea1a398f3dc.jpeg

A couple of screws was all that was needed to push the baseboard top down on to the frame beneath. This has enabled some of the copper clad sleepers to be replaced, but as can be seen from the photo above, clearance gets tighter near the baseboard join on the left hand side. The righthand side seems ok.

So, I put in several small screws and then soldered the rails to these, before using sleepers made from thin card to fill in the gaps.

DSCN5609.thumb.jpeg.54ee8a7ca3146d9d08b8d20ae0b9448c.jpeg

As can be seen above, the track is now ready for ballasting, so am hoping it will be a case of third time lucky - though if I'd done a proper job in the first place, luck would not have anything to do with it. I've since sprayed primer over the new track, to prevent water getting into the surface [and card sleepers] when I do the ballasting.

The final picture shows that everything is pretty much nice and level, while the longer spirit level also reassures me that there is no rocking over the baseboard joint.

A bit of levelling up was also needed on the loop track, but nothing so drastic and hopefully I'll be able to run trains again soon.

DSCN5608.thumb.jpeg.d906fb099b8e8d1d0fbeceb461cfe1bf.jpeg

• Like 13