DC Kits - Are they still in business

Rate this topic

mmie353

I have experienced appalling customer service from him I'm afraid and I don't say that lightly. He sent me several incorrect containers last year and never responded to my emails seeking a resolution. I still have the containers and have no use for them. He sent incorrect containers to another member here and also ignored his mails. That member physically returned the containers and requested a refund and never got the refund or even a response. Dreadful. Steer well clear would be my advice. I hope your stuff shows up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've only bought from them a couple of times. Stuff arrived ok, but the customer service is non existent. I had purchased some DCC soundfiles from the website and had some queries about them, my emails were basically ignored until I managed to get to get in touch with the creator of the files himself. As said, truly dreadful form for a retailer!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, StevieB said:

We have all come to expect good customer service. Now I don’t know if DC kits is a one man band but that might explain the poor customer service referred to, and we have just had the Christmas and New Year break.

Stephen

Was reading up about him - apparently he had a fire in his premises.......

Thanks for the replies on this one, I did get a 071 a few years ago from him and I do not recall any issues. I was hoping that my locomotive that I purchased, MM0133 would ship as he seemed to be the only one that has it in stock. I guess I will have to wait another while to see what happens. 

• Like 1

I bought my first 181 off them - I had gone to a train fair to buy stuff for somebody else and it just caught my eye on their stand.

I had no idea that they even existed.

It is really the fundamental reason that I am here now, years later.

It was a simple 'there and then' transaction, involving no logistics, and it may be the only time that I have dealt with them, although I may have bought a book a couple of years later.

They are very "Yorkshire", which can produce cultural difficulties when interacting with them, perhaps.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, mmie353 said:

I placed an order with DC Kits over the holiday period, the order is processing since the 3rd, I have emailed twice to them and nothing back, last week, I am starting to get concerned. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

I ordered an 071 class loco from DC kits, heard nothing for weeks. Like yourself, I got a bit concerned, so I emailed DC kits to see what's going on? I eventually got a reply, ' order posted'. Poor customer service unfortunately. Wouldn't take a chance with them again. Paul

• Like 1

I feel a bit guilty that I didn't warn others on here last year after my own bad experience with them but I guess you don't want to be too hard in case there are "mitigating circumstances" but it seems my case of dreadful customer service was not isolated. I guess this thread can act as warning. Caveat emptor most definitely applies here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm extremely disappointed to read the adverse comments referenced to DC Kits. Why?  I have purchased items, large and small from this supplier. I have dealt with him face-to-face, and by telephone.  Items requiring delivery through the Postal Service (Royal Mail) were always received.  These are my reasons for writing this post in defence of Charlie Petty and his Businesses.

His business is a One-Man - Band. He has associates with whom he conducts business. He also attends, Exhibitions and  Shows, throughout the UK .

As stated by, Broithe,  "They are very "Yorkshire",  which can produce cultural difficulties when interacting  with them, perhaps".  This description is certainly apt when it comes to describing Charlie Petty of DC Kits - He can. at times, "be as blunt as a useless axe"., but he has always come-up with the goods in my experience.  

I have copied and pasted the following information, in the sincere hope of it being useful to our colleagues who are, or have experienced difficulties when trading with:-

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=5

Please click on the above link for information about DC Kits.  I cannot guarantee the content 

Charlie Petty

Charlie Petty: -

Owner, Railtrack Models - DC Kits - D&E Videos - Baseline Marketing.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Old Blarney said:

As stated by, Broithe,  "They are very "Yorkshire",  which can produce cultural difficulties when interacting  with them, perhaps".  This description is certainly apt when it comes to describing Charlie Petty of DC Kits - He can. at times, "be as blunt as a useless axe"., but he has always come-up with the goods in my experience.  

I did wonder about putting that line, it's a delicate area these days.

You get yes/no, this/that sort of answers, no 'fluff' or pointless pleasantries.

I have had the pleasure of buying from several one man band operations (some of whom are members here) and so far only DC Kits have let me down like this. What can I say? It's my honest experience of dealing with him. You can't operate an online shop and then ignore emails! The one goes hand in hand with the other. I've also bought from Marcway (Sheffield) and Roads and Rails (Leeds) without any problems whatsoever.

In my case it was very simple. I ordered and paid for x and I got y and it stayed like that, without resolution and with him keeping my money. Perhaps he deals differently with those of us outside the UK as he never expects to meet us face to face at an exhibition or whatever. No idea, but it was the last time I'll order anything off him. If he had sold out of x, that's all he had to say.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I asked the question here as I was not sure of anyone else having issues with DC Kits. I had emailed twice last week with no reply, I do agree that a business should reply to a email within 48 hours max. I was wondering if they were still in business. A quick update on the status of my order is all I am looking for. If I ever had an issue with an order from any other online store, I reach out to them. I hate to ask on a forum about any orders that I have with a store but when I was not getting a response in over a week to an email, it does make one wonder, if they are still in business. Hence why I asked the question here. 

I did email again last night to see if he would at least update me on the status of my order. I was hoping to get this last 121 from the run released by Murphy Models to complete the collection.  It would be fine if he advised if the order shipped or what is going on with it. I do like to give a man a chance and I am still hoping to see if my order gets shipped or at least get an update on what is going on with it. I did, I thought allow time for the holidays to give DC Kits a chance to get back to me, but I wait still.

I do like to thank everyone that posted here on their thoughts and experiences, if it has started issues between members, that was not my intention. I was honestly asking, because I heard nothing back to emails that I have sent so far, to know if they were still in business or not. I hate to see a business go under, I was hoping to find that DC Kits are indeed still in business and hopeful that my order does ship from them. 

• Like 3

murphaph

I spoke with Charlie Petty this morning.  He asked me to inform anybody experiencing a problem with their order to contact him.

UK Telephone number - 0113 256 3415

E-Mail - charlie@dckits.co.uk

Please note his times for BUSINESS.

My comment - Sometimes we should - LOOK before we Leap.

• 0113 256 3415
Contacting Us
 If you need to reach us, please email us on charlie@dckits.co.uk
alternatively, you can call on 01132 563415  (International +44 
or write to us at 111 Norwood Crescent, Stanningley, Leeds LS28 6NG Yorkshire.

Monday:8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 22.00.

Tuesday:8.00 to 13.30&18.00 to 20.00.

Wednesday:8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 20.00.

Thursday: 8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 20.00.

Friday:Closed

Saturday:Closed

Sunday:Closed

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm only reporting  - what was said to me. Try telephoning him at one of the times he has listed. You'll get a real person answering the phone - Charlie Petty.  Yes. He and his Companies are in Business.

Please don't shoot the Messenger. I'm endeavouring to use my contacts and relationships. The reason?  To assist each individual who has a problem or concern about their order/s.

• Like 2

@Old Blarney I would like to apologize if I came across as aggressive to your post, I know that you were only advising the methods of contacting him. I am using email as I do not have an international plan on my phone so I will need to get credit to make a call to the UK. I do appreciate you trying to help, honestly I do. I was only confirming that indeed I was using the correct email address to make contact with him. I will email him one more time today to see what happens. I will update if Charlie responds to me. As people may notice, I do not post much, I do not like to cause issues for other members as I do respect everyone on here. I would like to thank everyone on this forum, I do visit almost everyday. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I won't be wasting any more of my time trying to contact him to be honest. Thanks for trying though. I have learned my lesson and moved on. I only responded here as a question was posed by another member who is also struggling to get a response from him. I also used the same email address listed and never got a response. For the record, here is my timeline of events:

25/04/21 - order placed

27/05/21 - order arrived in Germany including the incorrect items. Email to the above address sent that evening. No response.

01/06/21 - sent a further email asking for an update. No response.

07/06/21 sent a third and final email. No response ever came.

If someone can take orders over the internet they can deal with my query over the internet. There's no excuse for ignoring emails. I should not have to go through a third party to resolve a very simple problem. And the thing is, I now know of three people this happened to and none of us got a response. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I regularly buy online from Railtec and Fox Transfers - both one man bands as far as I am aware - and have had prompt, trouble free and courteous service for many years.  I have in the past bought several items from DC Kits including Legoman decoders.  I have not had any problems with the decoders but purchasing kits is another story.  Some time back (before the Bachmann model came out), I purchased a Class 85 loco kit.  Months followed with no sign of the kit so I started chasing and got the aforementioned gruff responses to the effect that how dare I chase him for the kit.  It eventually arrived just before the Bachmann example.

I don’t buy the ‘from Yorkshire’ excuse.  TMC and Rails of Sheffield are also from that neck of the woods and have always been pleasant to deal with and reliable.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

DC Kits are an absolute joke.

Orders charged but not processed, VAT not refunded, random substitute products sent, absolutely awful communication, or none at all, still waiting for my last refund and have just given up. Plus, Charlie is as rude, ignorant and impolite as can be.

Again, I have given up, I don't give a shit about what he owes me, the time that I have lost is worth more than the money.

Old Blarney, if you love him, good for you, but don't be blabbering on here ragging anybody who he has treated like crap.

Like murphaph, my main regret is not posting sooner to warn other members.

I wouldn't normally post public criticism, specially for a one mand band, but this band is so far out if tune that it's not funny.

It's obvious that his earnings come from another source, as he doesn't give a damn about his retail customers.

Again, for me, I've written off what he owes me, I'm not wasting any more time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Old Blarney said:

I'm only reporting  - what was said to me. Try telephoning him at one of the times he has listed. You'll get a real person answering the phone - Charlie Petty.  Yes. He and his Companies are in Business.

Please don't shoot the Messenger. I'm endeavouring to use my contacts and relationships. The reason?  To assist each individual who has a problem or concern about their order/s.

Old Blarney' indeed............. So we're all wrong are we??

• Funny 1

Compare & contrast models of e-commerce:

1. The subject of this thread.  Ignore/delay communications. Avoid timely refunds. Generally provide tardy service with added rudeness for good measure.

Or:-

2. Set up a live stock level on line shop, linked to a LIVE customer support chat facility, where messages are usually responded to within an hour, often straight away, with friendly, comprehensive information about status of orders, spare parts etc. Frequent automated emails sent allowing full tracking of shipment, invoices etc.  link this to a really useful forum.

Hmmm, who does that sound like......😂😂

• Like 2

All,

Happy to report, Charlie has emailed me a couple of times and we maybe getting this issue resolved. It seems that there are issues with shipping costs that I was not aware of, I did pay the shipping cost from the website when I was making my purchase, hopefully we get this resolved ASAP and hoping my loco gets shipped before end of the week.

I do appreciate all replies to this thread, once again I am sorry for bringing up bad memories for members on this, I know everyone is trying to help. 

• Like 3