DC Kits - Are they still in business

Rate this topic

mmie353

56 minutes ago, mmie353 said:

All,

Happy to report, Charlie has emailed me a couple of times and we maybe getting this issue resolved. It seems that there are issues with shipping costs that I was not aware of, I did pay the shipping cost from the website when I was making my purchase, hopefully we get this resolved ASAP and hoping my loco gets shipped before end of the week.

I do appreciate all replies to this thread, once again I am sorry for bringing up bad memories for members on this, I know everyone is trying to help. 

Absolutely no need to apologize. I dare say someone may have lit fire under his arse and that's the main reason you're getting a response all of a sudden!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Old Blarney said:

murphaph

I spoke with Charlie Petty this morning.  He asked me to inform anybody experiencing a problem with their order to contact him.

UK Telephone number - 0113 256 3415

E-Mail - charlie@dckits.co.uk

Please note his times for BUSINESS.

My comment - Sometimes we should - LOOK before we Leap.

• 0113 256 3415
Contacting Us
 If you need to reach us, please email us on charlie@dckits.co.uk
alternatively, you can call on 01132 563415  (International +44 
or write to us at 111 Norwood Crescent, Stanningley, Leeds LS28 6NG Yorkshire.

Monday:8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 22.00.

Tuesday:8.00 to 13.30&18.00 to 20.00.

Wednesday:8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 20.00.

Thursday: 8.00 to 13.30& 18.00 to 20.00.

Friday:Closed

Saturday:Closed

Sunday:Closed

I'm sorry but that's a lame attempt at a defence.

The page says "If you need to reach us, please email us". It's a webpage on an online store with a facility for electronic payments. The absolute first point of contact should be by email which should be answered promptly (within 48 hours, not including weekends). I mean his listed opening hours lead us to believe that he's working 4 days out of the 5 day working week. If it's a case that he can't devote the time to answering emails then he should at least have an automated reply directing people to an alternative form of contact. Customers will accept delays as long as there is adequate communication. As people have pointed out this all happens AFTER their payments have been accepted, to get the silent treatment and to be treated like you're an inconvenience for asking about the products THAT YOU'VE ALREADY PAYED FOR is dreadful form in anybody's book.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

To be fair, Charlie did advise I was a little short on the payment, I paid what I thought was fine when I was making the purchase. Maybe ordering trains after a few beers, not the best thing in the world to do, however, I promptly sent the balance that was owed and hopefully keep things on track for shipping this week. 

With some model railway stores closing over the years, and for the life of me, I cannot think of the store names, there was one in Belfast that closed down, another one was the awesome store in Portlaoise, Graham's toymaster, I hate to see them close. I only got to visit the store once, I thought it was an awesome shop. I was hoping that DC Kits was not another store that closed. It seems fewer places we can go to shop for model trains, of course the service I have gotten and help from IRM themselves, I have to also thank them. 

Thanks again to everyone, I do appreciate everyone and @Old Blarney if you did speak to Charlie about this one, I am thankful to you also. I do wish no hard feelings to anyone. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

By FAR my pet hate is people (be they suppliers or anyone else) who simply ignore texts or emails and don't answer them. Sadly, I've come across a few in the model railway world, though the above is not someone I've dealt with.

Yeah I have been completely blanked by one other UK based model railway "bits n pieces" supplier. No response to any emails, even to say, hey, call me instead. But at least with that guy he hadn't taken any money off me already. I just couldn't buy what I wanted. It is strange and I don't buy the one man band excuse because it's easy to create a template response like "call me instead" or "I have too many other commitments right now" etc. Just ignoring attempts at communication is really ignorant I find.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Broithe said:

I did wonder about putting that line, it's a delicate area these days.

You get yes/no, this/that sort of answers, no 'fluff' or pointless pleasantries.

I prefer a straight answer, so do not see it as rude, often people bend over backwards trying to be nice ‘ not nasty, and never spit out what they actually mean, sometime even criticism sets you up to improve, or at least evaluate what is important to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We bought sound stuff from him as well as other kit, and if asked he will express his opinion both good and bad about his own product, not many people are so honest.

We have dealt with him at fairs or in the phone, but not been to a fair for a few years, he also has a good sense of humour, my other half (we are a husband and wife pair of modellers, he is electronics back ground so asks quite technical questions at which point I usually go look at a stand lol) and he have had a number of chats over the pros and cons of product.

Edited by Jaz avalley
Mistyped editing
  • Like 1

I have only ever dealt with Charlie at a few shows. Usually the stall is queued out and over a very short space of time answers endless questions.  On asking any questions you get swift, no bull answers, take it or leave it. His style maybe different but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. 

Happy show customer.  Never tried a mail order transaction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder if, based on the Goathland layout location, @Jaz avalleymay be the nearest to Leeds on here, and, therefore, more culturally in-tune than most others on here?

The 'Yorkshireness' can be a real issue for some people, I generally live on the Big Island, in 'normal' times, but I still have to be ready for it.

Charlie is as deeply afflicted by Yorkshireness as anybody that you are likely to ever come across - he is not going to be saying 'Bye' fifty eight times before he puts the phone down, as some of us might be used to.

It can come across as dismissive, even aggressive - in fact, it can be hard for outsiders to tell if they have offended a Yorkshireman or not.

I have, as I've said, only had one (possibly two) face-to-face cash transactions, so I haven't suffered any of the other circumstances that have been related on here.

When I'm on the Big Island, I generally eat once a week in a nearby pub - they have a Polish (I think) waitress who is similarly 'direct' - it can be very entertaining to watch.

My favourite time was with a chap who was fairly regular, so it wasn't hit out-of-the-blue to him.  He had also been leaned on by the quack to reduce his sugar intake...

She arrived to clear the plates away -

"You want anything else?"

"Oh, yes, please, I'd like a cup of coffee, thank you."

She looked at him for half a second, to give him a chance to add to the order, he didn't, so she left.

She returned with the coffee.

"Your coffee."

"Oh, thank you - do you have any sweeteners, please."

"No,"

She looked at him for a full second, to give him a chance for a supplementary question, but  he couldn't think of anything to say - so, she left.

Eventually, a local staff member came past, so he tried again.

She went off and looked, then returned with -

"We don't seem to have any at the moment, sorry."

"OK, thank you very much."

He was much happier with that, even though he still had no sweeteners and could just have believed her in the first place...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am a Southern softie not too far from London, and a softie because in the cold the other half will go out barely dressed, madness to me, who wears gloves,scarf, and multi layers at even a hint of a drop in temperature, and unlike Charlie he is a mortal enemy Lancashire man, war of the roses and all that, and they have had a laugh about it, if you takes insults slung fast and rebutted as quick as a jokey conversation, my other half loves the thrust and flow, and will purposely keep an eye out for a lull before moving in for the ‘kill’ . Yorkshire men I believe also see themselves as hardy and to the point. We keep meaning to go visit, and perhaps holiday in the camping coaches, but to date have not had all the factors align to go,I have benefited from people who have holidayed there who have got me specific pictures I needed, the weir, the back walk, parts of Goathland village. 
We also have other stations and diorama in the layout but Goathland being real is easier for people to compare. I must put up some pictures of Kalsborough. some to wet your appetite. it  is a more modern electric area where the station is mostly diesel and the electric not yet in place so the odd diesel pulls an electric train through rather than miraculously trundle through lol, but plenty of old kit still in situ.

We fell in love with Goathland by accident, I bought the resin buildings THEN discovered they were Goathland, so sourced the set. Hornby at one time named the buildings they copied, then stopped it, I suspect people try to cash in was an issue.

ED3A3AEA-E85D-4D66-B9F2-66386B2554C3.jpeg

9AB29C8C-7874-4551-A032-828CA48DCC04.jpeg

96B501CB-D4E8-4276-A5CF-656480245A63.jpeg

53E7664F-4C31-4E54-8F92-177D2BC2222B.jpeg

32A2F72F-23E8-4888-9686-148E85A2250F.jpeg

• Like 7

For me directness is a plus. I'm used to it at this stage after living in Germany for so many years. I don't think anyone has really said they had a problem with his manner etc., only that he completely ignored them when they tried to contact him about orders/errors. A straight answer is a heck of a lot better than no answer.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

So, today's posters are basically saying that DC Kits are honest face to face but will shaft you if you buy online? Jesus, that's even worse than just being a bad retailer.

And all of this crap about a Yorkshire attitude? Just stop now. Nobody wants their arse kissed. I just expect honest, clear, concise communication, not being ignored...

And as for being rude, it's acceptable once it's honest. If I ask you to confirm that something on your website genuinely is in stock because I know what your track record is, and you reply with "Check the website" or something similar, that's fine... Once it's honest.

Can't believe that todays posters are painting a picture of a trader who will take advantage of anybody that he doesn't meet face to face. Shocking.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Perception is a big factor what an Irish person may perceive as rude and ignorant is often considered to be perfectly normal behaviour in other cultures. For many years mainly I struggled with the perception that people who spoke with a British RP were rude and arrogant while believing that people who spoke with UK regional accents were warm and friendly mainly as a result of speech and tone. Having lived and worked in Ireland and overseas you will always know where you stand with a person who speaks their mind than someone from a culture that is obsequious or excessively polite. 

Having worked in Ireland, the UK and New Zealand I have found that small manufacturing businesses tend to be good at making things but poor at communication some of my main suppliers are very poor at responding to phone calls and e-mails but deliver quality products on time. 

I had experiences with extremely poor internal communication while working for a New Zealand Government agency and eventually had to get out to save my sanity!

The last two years has been extremely difficult for UK component manufacturers who are mainly one man band operations as they struggle to cope with increased demand and supply side problems, who often literally don't have time to answer the phone or reply to e-mails as they focus on the manufacturing side working long hours for relatively low returns.

The "Yorkshire attitude"  is no different from Irish intercounty rivalry especially between Cork and other counties. 

Probably belongs in Broithe's Factory Life Column, I was working as a site manager on a large construction site in Watford about 30 years ago, our safety officer Frank from Wakefield in the South Riding who had (to me anyway) a broad Yorkshire accent, my boss Keith was also from Wakefield was more soft spoken and one of the best managers I worked for in construction. One of Frank's jobs was to induct contractors when they arrived on site including a group of Lift Engineers from Keightly  West Yorkshire, lift engineers always tended to consider themselves to be the royalty of construction trades the crew from Keightly did not quite fit the whippet (greyhound) and cloth cap northerner stereotype but spoke in a West Yorkshire dialect using thee and thou in their every day speech.

Not impressed with being called in to a 1 hour site induction with a truck load of lifts waiting to be unloaded they addressed Frank   "thee Southeners have no idea" the engineers sat through the induction without further complaint and quietly carried out their work installing the lifts, I don't know whether Frank was insulted or found it funny to be accused of being a "Southener"

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

Perception is a big factor what an Irish person may perceive as rude and ignorant is often considered to be perfectly normal behaviour in other cultures. For many years mainly I struggled with the perception that people who spoke with a British RP were rude and arrogant while believing that people who spoke with UK regional accents were warm and friendly mainly as a result of speech and tone. Having lived and worked in Ireland and overseas you will always know where you stand with a person who speaks their mind than someone from a culture that is obsequious or excessively polite.

No regional or national stereotyping here then…

I was born in London, grew up in the Midlands in the 70s (near Stoke) and Belfast (late 70s early 80s) and now live on the south coast of England.  Plenty  of regional differences, however if a person is rude and is unhelpful I put it down to the nature of that person and don’t give them the excuse of it being a regional or national characteristic.

There are always some that will try to defend bad behaviour - just take a look at this week’s British newspaper front pages…

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mayner said:

who often literally don't have time to answer the phone or reply to e-mails as they focus on the manufacturing side working long hours for relatively low returns.

This is very valid. At one point in my career I found I was spending most of the first half of my day answering e-mails to the detriment of getting anything done and this was a vicious circle.  It's about time management and I would suggest that some patience is in order.  From accounts of those who have interacted one on one with this man, it would seem he is well intentioned. 

• Like 3

I'm not going to defend Charlie's poor responsive to folks on here but I just want to relay my own experience.

I was lucky enough to purchase what was probably one of the last 111s available through a retail channel from Charlie, just before they started appearing for £300+ on eBay (God knows what you'd pay for one now). It came very well packed with no hassle so I am eternally grateful to him for that.

I have had the problem of ordering items on the website that were no longer in stock such as O71s and containers. In each case Charlie has got back to me quickly to let me know. When I was looking for some Bell containers that were out of stock he followed up with me a number of weeks later when he eventually found a batch of them and again I was well pleased.

It can be very challenging as a one man show like this and I suspect he's been struggling to keep up or keep track of things so I would agree with folks backing off from dealing with him until things get back in order. 100% understand the frustration but it sounds like the guy has been struggling. Maybe he had a bad dose of Covid or whatever. There's usually a genuine reason behind what folks have been experiencing.

• Like 2

Charlie got back to me today to advise my order has shipped, provided me with the tracking number and I hope that it will arrive in the next couple of weeks, now to hope that it gets delivered in the next couple of weeks. Over to USPS, as it should be in the US next week. Praying that it gets through them and US customs quick enough. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...