Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Was actually there last June!!!

784C9E50-34CF-44A6-9015-7F7817519E10.jpeg

E809FB15-6D3F-4992-87DA-2DD7C9F7093C.jpeg

6AAC5C31-A84A-49D2-A94D-4A369ED76C5C.jpeg

7CC8DF99-8F40-4146-90DE-A8337694C7AF.jpeg

11 hours ago, Broithe said:

I've suddenly started wondering if there was ever a railway through Feakle?

That’s gone over my head……! 🙄

• Like 2

Getting back on topic before this thread descends further into the sewer…..

The toilet block is now finished, and I’ve added a small bit of weathering.

I’m not going to bother decorating the outside rear wall as there will hopefully be a small shed there and some vegetation.  The toilet block is based on one which I saw in a photograph of Aldergrove station.

It’s good to be approaching the end of this build, just the booking hall interior and platform canopy to go, along with some more general weathering and small details eg. posters, advertisements etc.

C9757E07-E63F-4669-9A21-1EE4A0381851.jpeg

45F0F951-BA79-4495-BAA3-281893954BD9.jpeg

AC7C0945-6512-458E-B492-4D0586F51170.jpeg

32F167C1-9B14-40EF-9C88-DD1894A01B98.jpeg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 13

I had an unexpected few hours free this evening, so I started adding details to the building, including period advertisements, vegetation and weathering, and I also ‘frosted’ the lower panes of some of the windows.  I have some Irish travel posters which a friend is printing for me and I will hopefully add those tomorrow.  I’m thinking the derelict end of the building might have been over done a bit…..

B23C0F58-CDFB-495C-A2EE-AF98F97A8D5B.jpeg

333612AC-F8BC-4DBA-BE17-6DA49E085A0A.jpeg

71F96196-1668-4BEA-81F9-7C29E5D91A03.jpeg

B0175BE0-4BAD-4A29-B45F-7EBAFB4748A6.jpeg

E0D335C5-B11F-41EB-830A-44493581731F.jpeg

• Like 13

Lovely work, though sometimes 'less is more'. Really like the simulation of moss on the roof and ivy growing up the walls, but not sure about what is in the gutters or growing around the chimney pot and stack. Few plants of any size would grow in such positions: buddleia seems happy to grow out of brick walls, but most other things would need their roots to be in the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Patrick - this is looking really good. I like how this will stand as a contrast to Brookhall in terms of dereliction versus flourishing! I think that you could probably stand to lose the enamel signs, although I very much like them. The reason I say that is that by the late 60s-70s such items were already attractive to souvenir hunters and dealers. I spent much of my youth soaking up the atmosphere of semi-derelict stations, hence my enthusiasm for your project. All that generally remained was either utiltarian, financially valueless, or too costly to uproot. On an unstaffed station (and Clogherhead, I suspect, would have slumbered much of the week) the local gurriers would quickly have had these signs and other ‘portable property’ away. Same goes for the posters, which may not have had much attention or renewal since the line’s partial abandonment. What you could do, and quite authentically, is have a damaged poster or two visible through the windows. I was looking wistfully through my own small collection  of 7mm Irish posters and desperately feeling the desire to use them so I do understand your motives! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Lovely work, though sometimes 'less is more'. Really like the simulation of moss on the roof and ivy growing up the walls, but not sure about what is in the gutters or growing around the chimney pot and stack. Few plants of any size would grow in such positions: buddleia seems happy to grow out of brick walls, but most other things would need their roots to be in the ground.

Spot on David - I knew there was something I wasn’t quite happy with and that’s exactly it, those clumps shall be removed and repositioned to ground level once the building is permanently fixed. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Patrick - this is looking really good. I like how this will stand as a contrast to Brookhall in terms of dereliction versus flourishing! I think that you could probably stand to lose the enamel signs, although I very much like them. The reason I say that is that by the late 60s-70s such items were already attractive to souvenir hunters and dealers. I spent much of my youth soaking up the atmosphere of semi-derelict stations, hence my enthusiasm for your project. All that generally remained was either utiltarian, financially valueless, or too costly to uproot. On an unstaffed station (and Clogherhead, I suspect, would have slumbered much of the week) the local gurriers would quickly have had these signs and other ‘portable property’ away. Same goes for the posters, which may not have had much attention or renewal since the line’s partial abandonment. What you could do, and quite authentically, is have a damaged poster or two visible through the windows. I was looking wistfully through my own small collection  of 7mm Irish posters and desperately feeling the desire to use them so I do understand your motives! 

More excellent advice, thanks, GM!  Clogherhead is intended to be something of an anomaly though with a basic passenger service through the week, and the remnants of holiday traffic at weekends, and also excursions, so the idea will be that the station would be manned during the day, even during the week, (anything to justify the frequent appearances of those MM & IRM diesels 😂)

The booking hall interior will be fully detailed, so that’s a great idea about putting posters in there, and yes I think I’ll take down some of the external enamel ones as well.  Thanks 🙏 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

More excellent advice, thanks, GM!  Clogherhead is intended to be something of an anomaly though with a basic passenger service through the week, and the remnants of holiday traffic at weekends, and also excursions, so the idea will be that the station would be manned during the day, even during the week, (anything to justify the frequent appearances of those MM & IRM diesels 😂)

The booking hall interior will be fully detailed, so that’s a great idea about putting posters in there, and yes I think I’ll take down some of the external enamel ones as well.  Thanks 🙏 

Clogherhead seems to be a reasonably important fishing port, possibly a 4w or bogie luggage van on the 'early morning" Dublin commuter train with fresh fish for the Dublin Fish Market, the N1 Road north from Dublin was pretty horrendous until upgraded to motorway standards during the 1990s.

Cheap land and a commuter connection to Dublin would have been attractive to house builders during the 70s and 80s, companies that built in North Dublin in the 60s started buying relatively cheap building land in the Drogheda area during the 70s.

I am a bit conflicted by the neglect and dereliction of Clogherhead, quite different to my memories of stations on CIE branch and secondary lines during the 70s which tended to be maintained to a reasonable standard. CIE only seem to have cut back on building maintenance from the late 70s onwards, stations on lines that lost their regular passenger traffic during the 1960s were often fitted with 'modern' electric platform lighting and buildings painted in the 1960s corporate grey and white colour scheme.

I guess the local CIE Area Manager decided the money was better spent on maintaining mainline stations than a branch line.

• Like 3

Interesting recollections thanks John @Mayner

My earliest recollections of railway travels are from around 1975 when my primary school class went on a school trip to Dublin from Great Victoria Street then family trips to Butlins etc. I also remember the excitement around Central Station opening but I was only 6 so can’t recall the finer details.

• Like 1

A few views from around the station this evening, I am starting to get a sense of how it is going to look once the building has been fixed in position.  The nameboard & boat feature will be sunk into the platform surface rather than sitting on top like it is at the moment.  I have decided I don’t like the red brick platform walls, these will be replaced with dressed stone from Wills sheets - I’m still experimenting with painting these to get the desired effect.

251529BC-3A8E-4ABA-837C-1FA83F48E6D0.jpeg

8B70A4AB-9F90-43C1-85D7-8D23F0287838.jpeg

8EA212DF-89EE-4BA8-823C-57D6E529EDD6.jpeg

7C8F52F1-D82C-4A20-941E-822256E02F74.jpeg

9136EE5B-3BC6-4AC1-A0B6-3E909B8EAC90.jpeg

E00C1733-AF5E-4E23-86CC-BE95D0F5EACD.jpeg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 1