Irish Railway News ‘Enterprise Watch’

Rate this topic

IrishTrainScenes

2 hours ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

Sorry, This is just information I have that I either was informed of or observed for myself.

During the autumn or winter months there tends to be a period of non stop failures, and that can happen for up to 2 weeks.

I will send an updated version tomorrow.

What I meant by bad record was just LOOK at how many failures there was in 2022. I was not commenting on your book keeping in fact, this is a good easy way to keep track (infact it should be plugged into Excel to make pie charts and the like) 

what I’m saying is the DD’s look great, have. Lovely GM at the head, but with a record like that it’s getting easy to justify a replacement 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

during leaf fall early morning (and possibly late night idk) Enterprises are subbed by ICRs. 

They are also preferred for winter, as if a loco engine decides its not going to cooperate with cold weather its the train out of action. On an ICR (or any DMU railcar) it has a large degree of redundancy so usually isn't an issue, or can at least limp to terminus. 

ICRs are only booked to work the 0735 ex Dublin & 1035 ex Belfast during leaf fall season. Sometimes they work the 1320 & 1605 aswell or even work the 1900.

ICRs are not usually booked to work anything else but a handful of times over the last three years, the ICR set has been used on the 1650 ex Dublin & 2005 ex Belfast.

During a period of time between October and December, faults are pretty much non stop on the Enterprise. 

At the start of October 2023, there was issues on the 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th and then again on the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th.

Faults on 21st & 22nd October and continuing with CAF/ICR sets substituting on the 23rd, 24th & 25th October

Next ICR sub was the 1650 & 2005 on 6th November ( 5 x ICR) substituting for DD due to flooding

CAFs worked the 0650 from Belfast & 0930 from Dublin on 8th November

On 25th November 2023, the Enterprise went into total meltdown

The 0650, 1235, 1605 & 1805 from Belfast were all C3K sets, same for the 0930, 1520 & 2050 from Dublin.

ICRs worked the 0735 & 1650 from Dublin & 1035 & 2005 from Belfast

On 26th November 2023 ICRs worked the 1000 & 1600 from Dublin, 1305 & 1905 from Belfast and persisted on the 0735 & 1035 for the week, and ran on that service until 09 December.

2nd December 2023 ICRs worked the 1320 from Dublin & 1605 from Belfast, CAFs worked the 1805 from Belfast & 2050 from Dublin.

3rd December 2023 CAFs worked the 1105 from Belfast & 1400 from Dublin.

ICRs worked the 0735 & 1035 until 9 December

The 0650, 1235 & 1805 from Belfast & the 0930, 1520 & 2050 from Dublin were C3Ks on the 11th & 12th December 2023.

The 1200 from Dublin was an ICR on 17th December 2023.

19th December 2023 1650 from Dublin began to give trouble in the Dublin area, before finally failing in Clongriffin and pax were accommodated on to the 1712 from Dublin (29/15) which terminated at Clongriffin and ran to Belfast and formed the 2005 ex Belfast back.

On the 27th December CAFs worked the 1439 from Portadown & 1650 from Dublin and the 0721 from Portadown & 0930 from Dublin the next day (28th December).

Over a period of 26 days and a rough estimate of 92 failures during Q4 2023!!

3 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I think you should see a significant improvement in the first three months of 2024. 

@NIRCLASS80I have not counted any substitution on the Enterprise since 26 February

A good sign, I am intending to take the Enterprise to Dublin on 25 May.

6 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Major announcement expected tomorrow about Enterprise from North South Ministerial Council.

Where will it be found?

4 hours ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

@NIRCLASS80I have not counted any substitution on the Enterprise since 26 February

A good sign, I am intending to take the Enterprise to Dublin on 25 May.

Where will it be found?

Will be announced tomorrow at the next Council meeting by the ministers involved.  Will help improve this service in all aspects.

22 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I’m sitting in an ICR as I write this, and my back sympathises!

Unlike many of the good folk here, I don’t actually mind ICRs per se, but the new leather seats are too upright and too hard. As far as any railcars are concerned, probably the best of a very bad lot are NIR’s 4Ks at the moment. I agree about the DDs, by far the best there is operating today, outside Downpatrick!

They are exactly the same seat they were built with. Only covering changed, and refreshed cushioning where required.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Will be announced tomorrow at the next NSMC  Council meeting by the ministers involved.  Will help improve this service in all aspects. This meeting in Armagh looking at All Ireland Rail Review.

Edited by airfixfan

2 minutes ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

So DDs will be going in 2029?

2029 or 2030 at the latest. Nothing new is ordered yet. From the order date it’s three years minimum before a new train arrives here. Plus commissioning, trials, driver training and engineering training. I would say if you ordered now mid 2028 would be good going. 

Edited by NIRCLASS80

18 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

2024 using existing trains until about 2029. York Street to open from April 29th this year.

ICRs will be on the 0735 & 1035 from September or October to about December 2024.

PS: What if the DD fails in Dublin? Ship everyone on a 29k to Grand Central?

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

So first class & catering only on selected services?

Might actually be an opportunity to reinstate the old distinction of  ‘Enterprise’ trains amongst the normal run of Belfast-Dublin trains. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Did hint at this a few days ago but sworn to secrecy then. Enterprise going hourly from October 7th using CAFs and ICRs for about 5 years

This is revolutionary! I’m surprised at how under the radar this has gone too. Is this to coincide with the opening of Grand Central? Also I presume a pre-9am arrival to each city is also on the cards for this new timetable? 

7 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Will be fascinating to see what they come up with. Probably not loco-hauled. Something like this? https://www.globalrailwayreview.com/news/115884/hitachi-eversholt-rail-gwr-battery-hybrid-train/

You poor souls - @Galteemore is almost certainly right - you're going to get the AWFUL Intercity Express Trains (IETs) which we suffer here on the "Other" (Unimportant) Island.

Even worse than Vomiters (sorry, mistype, Voyagers).

Emigrate before it happens! I'm too old, or I would have done it already.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 5:03 PM, leslie10646 said:

You poor souls - @Galteemore is almost certainly right - you're going to get the AWFUL Intercity Express Trains (IETs) which we suffer here on the "Other" (Unimportant) Island.

Even worse than Vomiters (sorry, mistype, Voyagers).

Emigrate before it happens! I'm too old, or I would have done it already.

Oh good lord above, it can’t surely be true…! I sincerely hope not… or if they do, I only pray that they upgrade the seating offering from the UK version…

In fairness I do think it’s quite unlikely they’ll be UK-outline units though, as they wouldn’t be constructed in the UK - ie outside the EU (and a standalone factory in Ireland to build 8 units makes no sense) so if being constructed in Europe it’s far more likely they’d be built to a European train base design.

I’d heard murmurings that they were hallmarked to be Stadler ‘Flirts’, and this to me makes a lot of sense as they are European built with many existing factories in Europe, are tried and tested all over the world and are a very flexible base, with many different power supplies possible as well as the potential for very easy decarbonisation on the future. Alstom is another option as they are already producing the new DARTs…

Just as long as they’re comfortable, efficient, fast and reliable (not much to ask in todays world you’d think but…) I’m happy! Looking cool and a potentially slick new livery would be an added bonus! Just not an IET… please…

Edited by 226 Abhann na Suire

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

So first class & catering only on selected services?

Correct 

3 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

This is revolutionary! I’m surprised at how under the radar this has gone too. Is this to coincide with the opening of Grand Central? Also I presume a pre-9am arrival to each city is also on the cards for this new timetable? 

In theory yes with improved Derry Line connections promised as well from October 2024. Stage 2 by 2029 will see a new Enterprise fleet in service

• Like 1