Irish Railway News ‘Enterprise Watch’

Rate this topic

IrishTrainScenes

On 21/1/2024 at 1:22 PM, IrishTrainScenes said:

Due to a trespass incident the 10:00 Dublin Connolly to Lanyon Place has been delayed at Dublin Connolly and is now 32 minutes late

Gone are the days when I (and others) could happily “trespass” on running lines to take pictures, with nothing more than a friendly wave from the driver!

I remember spending an afternoon about 1976, wandering about the tracks in Heuston Station and goods yard, in and out of E’s shunting loose-coupled wagons, and brand-new 071s with Mk 2s, others with mixed Cravens, laminates and gawd knows what else….

NOT advocating this, of course, but today if I tried that I’d be taken away in the Black Maria to Mountjoy to serve life with hard labour, amongst mountebanks, ne’er-do-wells, and more minor offenders like mass murderers….

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Metrovik said:

I plan on booking a trip on the enterprise, but am really only interested in riding behind, the "real" enterprise not these Railcar replacements. Is there anyway at all too ensure this happens?

Easy there, Ned Ludd, there's no need to turn into another Noel, bashing progress every chance you get.

Next, you'll be saying that you won't board unless the loco's painted black with orange and white bands...

I imagine that if you read back over this thread, and analyse the info posted, you will be able to paint a picture of the days and times where a loco-hauled Enterprise is more probable than ICR's.

• Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Metrovik said:

It's not so much that Im bashing progress but I can see ICRs in my doorstep and can't see an Loco hauling coaches in the enterprise livery.

Your post was clearly iCR-bashing.

I'm not super familiar with AI, but I'm sure you could train a freely available AI program like ChatGTP to analyse this thread for the data, asking it to calculate the probabilities, which would save you a fair bit of time.

@Sean is mad for AI, he gets moist just thinking about the rise of the machines, maybe drop him a message for some pointers.

21 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Your post was clearly iCR-bashing.

I'm not super familiar with AI, but I'm sure you could train a freely available AI program like ChatGTP to analyse this thread for the data, asking it to calculate the probabilities, which would save you a fair bit of time.

@Sean is mad for AI, he gets moist just thinking about the rise of the machines, maybe drop him a message for some pointers.

image.thumb.jpeg.53f9e0ad5107c6617bb6f916059aa2e5.jpeg

What'er'u Sayin?

Edited by Sean
  • Funny 2

That vast amount of money of 12 M  compared with the 600 Million.for the A5 scheme alone will just about cover the upgrade of the C4k 6 car sets with CAWS for Dublin services 

Will also.just cover additional costs of running an hourly service and ICRs are busy enough already on other Irish Rail routes. 

When I heard of Irish government investment in cross-border infrastructure, I really expected a major upgrade of the Dublin-Belfast rail line. €50 mil for Casement Park and a paltry €12.5 mil for the rail service, not to mention the €600 mil for the A5 road. Metrolink will cost €9.5 billion with a connection to the Irish Rail system at Tara St and Drumcondra only. No joined-up thinking there. It all just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Delays today due to ‘signalling issues’.

On 17/2/2024 at 5:00 PM, Metrovik said:

I plan on booking a trip on the enterprise, but am really only interested in riding behind, the "real" enterprise not these Railcar replacements. Is there anyway at all too ensure this happens?

@Metrovik, most of the time the Enterprise will run as normal, the main services that avoid faults are the 1120, 1320, 1650, 1900 & 2050 from Dublin. Same for the 0800, 1405, 1605, 1805 & 2005 from Belfast.

6 hours ago, Louth said:

When I heard of Irish government investment in cross-border infrastructure, I really expected a major upgrade of the Dublin-Belfast rail line. €50 mil for Casement Park and a paltry €12.5 mil for the rail service, not to mention the €600 mil for the A5 road. Metrolink will cost €9.5 billion with a connection to the Irish Rail system at Tara St and Drumcondra only. No joined-up thinking there. It all just doesn't make sense.

Connolly is going to be at capacity with accelerated Enterprise timetable and Dart +, and Tara Street allows one to travel to Connolly or Pearse within 5-10 minutes in either direction. Link to Drumcondra allows access to services on Cork mainline (hopefully the station at Heuston platform 10 will be completed to facilitate a more cohesive overall network)

The sum for the enterprise is quite low, I suspect that may be in part due to any more significant investment in Enterprise services to come when the 201s + DDs are replaced with tri-mode sets. Whatever to be said about the complexity of the Dart + and the power transfer from overheads to batteries, I'm sure a tri-mode will cause no hassle at all....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

Delays today due to ‘signalling issues’.

@Metrovik, most of the time the Enterprise will run as normal, the main services that avoid faults are the 1120, 1320, 1650, 1900 & 2050 from Dublin. Same for the 0800, 1405, 1605, 1805 & 2005 from Belfast.

Thanks very much, for your help, much appreciated.

Delays recently

Yesterday (21 Feb 2024)

0735 ex Dublin was 67 minutes late due to a signalling issue, overall 72 min delay on arr in Belfast (arr 1057) departing 36 mins late (1111). 1320 ex Dublin was about 10 mins delayed.

Today (22 Feb 2024)

The 1405 from Belfast to Dublin was 10 minutes delayed today due to disruptive passengers.

26 minutes ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

Delays recently

Yesterday (21 Feb 2024)

0735 ex Dublin was 67 minutes late due to a signalling issue, overall 72 min delay on arr in Belfast (arr 1057) departing 36 mins late (1111). 1320 ex Dublin was about 10 mins delayed.

Today (22 Feb 2024)

The 1405 from Belfast to Dublin was 10 minutes delayed today due to disruptive passengers.

In the 1990s, I was on a local NIR train, when a walking tracksuit type started smoking. Two passengers reported him. The conductor appeared. This was the LAST train out of Belfast for Portadown.

The train happened to be slowing for Finaghy stop. Smoker wouldn't stop and was giving conductor a mouthful of abuse. Conductor opens the door for people getting out, grabs yer man and tried to push him out onto the platform. Smoker attempts to resist, whereupon conductor physically KICKS him out onto the platform, slams the door, and gives the driver the green.

Being the last service, about 23:30, there were none following, and it may have been too late for a following bus.

In all reality, one can invoke human rights, and respect-for-the-person and so on, but like it or not, if railway staff and security men on board trains were able to do that now, the quality of life for the many who increasingly feel unsafe on public transport would be much better; also, the junkies and pond life who causes scenes like this would learn fast. Personally, I would have no problem with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

In the 1990s, I was on a local NIR train, when a walking tracksuit type started smoking. Two passengers reported him. The conductor appeared. This was the LAST train out of Belfast for Portadown.

The train happened to be slowing for Finaghy stop. Smoker wouldn't stop and was giving conductor a mouthful of abuse. Conductor opens the door for people getting out, grabs yer man and tried to push him out onto the platform. Smoker attempts to resist, whereupon conductor physically KICKS him out onto the platform, slams the door, and gives the driver the green.

Being the last service, about 23:30, there were none following, and it may have been too late for a following bus.

In all reality, one can invoke human rights, and respect-for-the-person and so on, but like it or not, if railway staff and security men on board trains were able to do that now, the quality of life for the many who increasingly feel unsafe on public transport would be much better; also, the junkies and pond life who causes scenes like this would learn fast. Personally, I would have no problem with it.

Very gracious of you to reflect on it in that way all these years later JB . How did you make it home in the end?

• Funny 10

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Very gracious of you to reflect on it in that way all these years later JB . How did you make it home in the end?

I told the lizard in the pizza shop all about it. I think he caused some consequences.

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

I walked into that one, didn't I...............

• Funny 1