Belfast Grand Central Station Progress

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Super video with fabulous drone sequences - excellent progress, do you know the planned official opening date ?

2025 I think although I heard late 2024 mentioned recently..... nothing more precise yet unless someone here knows?

Edited by Patrick Davey

Some observations on Belfast Grand Central station, and a few questions:

1. Wow

2. The furthest left platforms are very long....presumably these are the future Enterprise platforms.

3. There is a huge blank wall to the right of the platforms - wonder will this be opened up at all as it looks a bit bland to me and potentially a bit overpowering as I think it might block out the sun....

4. Do the platforms actually have enough capacity to accommodate future re-openings.... the only truly realistic one anyway is Armagh I think, but would Armagh trains run all the way to Belfast or instead feed into trains at Portadown?

5. Looks like it will have a very spacious concourse

6. Wonder why the platform canopies appear to continue under the overall roof of the main building?

But vvvvvvery impressive overall - looking forward to arriving there by train!

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing this, Patrick. Remarkable progress on what looks like a potentially remarkable station!

I leave the transport planning / timetabling experts to say whether it will cope with the lines for reopening, but would observe that 5 platforms (the old GV Street) dealt with Dublin, Armagh, Newry, Derry etc in days gone by, albeit not with such an intensive timetable as we see today. But these days - no shunting, just in and out again.

If those contractors had been doing HS2, it would be open by now!

Must try and have a butchers when over for Bangor.

Thanks again.

Leslie

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

2025 I think although I heard late 2024 mentioned recently..... nothing more precise yet unless someone here knows?

GVS due to close to rail on May 24th and the rail section of the new Hub due to open early September at present

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

3 hours ago, K801 said:

Not sure whats to the left, the old station?  What will happen to this area, a new freight yard?

Sadly, I doubt it very much...... Which raises an issue; with Adelaide turned over to servicing 4k trams, where in the city COULD a goods terminal be built? Fortwilliam area?

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Sadly, I doubt it very much...... Which raises an issue; with Adelaide turned over to servicing 4k trams, where in the city COULD a goods terminal be built? Fortwilliam area?

These days freight terminals are usually set up in newly established industrial areas on the outskirts cities, close to major road/motorway junctions.

Locally the recently established Ruakura Inland Port set up as a joint venture between a Port Company and a property company has sidings set up to handle 40  wagon container trains. https://www.ruakura.co.nz/explore-the-superhub/ruakura-inland-port/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mayner said:

These days freight terminals are usually set up in newly established industrial areas on the outskirts cities, close to major road/motorway junctions.

Locally the recently established Ruakura Inland Port set up as a joint venture between a Port Company and a property company has sidings set up to handle 40  wagon container trains. https://www.ruakura.co.nz/explore-the-superhub/ruakura-inland-port/

Indeed - thing is, though, with Belfast, one wonders where on earth they'd put it! Queens Quay, Maysfields, Grosvenor Road and York Road yards are all gone and built over. Heading out the bangor and Lisburn lines, there's just nowhere. So unless they could put some sort of facility in somewhere around Fortwilliam - then there's no chance of any freight terminal in Belfast (the second biggest city on this island, and a major port)....ever!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

Is there an official timed service…? Surely the RPSI would run a special you’d think? Awful shame that the 111’s are no longer passenger-stock-certified, would’ve been the perfect outing for them

All they could run is a CAF. I am sure NIR would talk to any reasonable body about hiring one for an event.

• Like 2

Indeed! An interloper in 1963!

GT10GreatVictoriaSt91localtraincopy.thumb.jpg.721fbe7b91a9eabad0de513523a61185.jpg

Lance King Colllection, Copyright IRRS                                                                                        

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Re: specials, Táilte did look at operating a tour taking in GVS but unfortunately resources and scheduled works precluded it this year, however we've had some nice chats with NIR people about the future... :) 

• Like 3

Translink confirmed today as predicted.  GVS closes May 10th and all Dublin/Portadown trains will serve Lanyon. Lisburn to Belfast complete closure July/August with Enterprise bus subs for Belfast using Newry. October 7th new Hub opens for hourly Enterprise  for Dublin.

Just found this thread and it looks a big budget exercise!  confident use of glass  which I hope bodes well for the future.  Tickled that worker safety concerns higher than end user with platforms fully barriered to stop falls during build - are the builders not to be trusted!   

Looking at bus working edge I hope some sort of double deck canopy as it seems a shame in what can be a quite damp climate at times (?) that you can alight on to a dry platform and navigate a vast concourse still in the dry but then get wet for 1m while boarding an enclosed bus.  Penny of tar syndrome. 

Cannot wait for it to open and look forward to one day seeing OLE gracing the place. Hopefully such quality is a start for more thoughtful spending for the future.

Robert   

• Like 3