Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Fantastic viaduct Stephen, it’s hard to match a professional job, well done Dave –it’s a great advertisement for your skills. Again I would recommend Glenderg to provide covering for the viaduct; he’s doing some bridge covers for me hopefully to arrive before Christmas.

I love the viaduct, it's superb! There are so many layouts I am gaining inspiration from on the site, Anthony's Ballykay, Annestown, Noel's Tara Junction to name just a few, but I especially love this layout and Baby GM's layout as you can see the day-to-day progress! I can't wait to see the first first train passing over the viaduct and the station terminus when it's finished!

Managed to make lots of invisible progress today :)

Soldered droppers to 12 lengths of flex track and 6 points :)

Cleared and started layout for the mainline and drilled all the holes for the last few points at the terminus junction, and mocked up some track over the viaduct :)

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

Me neither!

The radius across the viaduct is just around 1 meter, and I plan to superelevate the running lines too, so the DD set should look lovely sweeping around the curve :)

I love watching this progress Stephen. There is great modelling all round. I know that it is inspiring a lot of people myself included. It's going to be special and your efforts are an example to all of how hard work and persistence go hand in hand to produce a magical layout.

Rich,

Its never boring Steven as Rich says its great to see individual projects and components of the layout coming together and developing. There is a lot of work and attention to detail required on a large layout of this scale and quality. For the likes of myself it is raising the bar and giving food for thought for making improvements, albeit, on a much smaller and less complex scale.

Guest hidden-agenda

That viaduct looks great and Dave has done an excellent job on it, some brick work around it and you have a sight to behold with trains passing over it.

Thanks Rich, I worry sometimes I'm boring the pants off people with too many 'work in progress' shots and not enough 'trains' :)

That's never going to be an issue Stephen, look at how many pages and replies that are in this thread. When I am ready to start my own layout I will be using DCC and cobalt motors for points and signals. So there will be questions fired in your direction. We're getting a free education and it's about model railways, how good is that.

Rich,

IMG_4255.jpg

Finishing the junction at the mouth of the station, thought I'd try a new approach on the ballasting. For this crossover, I plastered the underlay with glue, then stuck the crossing down, poking the wires through the pre-drilled holes. Then liberally poured ballast all over, 'tamping' it down with a finger.

A few hours later and the excess brushed off it looks like this - not bad at all, no ballast on track, on the rails, etc, and very very easy! Will invest in a little hand held hoover methinks - but an excellent way to ballast points and crossings 'as you go'! :-bd

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4405[/ATTACH] thought I'd try a new approach on the ballasting

Great to see as many approaches to this mystic part of layout creation as possible. In fairness, your layout has everything ballast wise, from high shoulders to diesel dipped platform areas, so a tutorial might be posted when you're finished ?

2017?

Possibly a rolling tutorial? R.

Timber train has cleared the line :) In prep for track laying :) and the start of the curve to the left ahead, heading for the lift-out section in front of the door, before the viaduct!

Too wavy?

Personally I would try to have one long, gentle curve. It can be a bit peculiar looking if a long train's coaches are bobbing from side to side! Have you got the space to do that?

Everything looks great though!

I need a slight S to align the junction at the throat with the junction in the foreground

attachment.php?attachmentid=4415&d=1355322177

The track basically turns after the throat junction, then takes a sweeping curve to meet the next junction - the photos make it seem a bit more abrupt maybe than it is - the entire wave is about 8 feet

The track basically turns after the throat junction, then takes a sweeping curve to meet the next junction - the photos make it seem a bit more abrupt maybe than it is - the entire wave is about 8 feet

I wish you had put up that picture before I opened my big mouth! It looks a lot better from that direction...

Not at all, I find the iphone seems to compress the field from some angles!

I could of course say that I'm aiming for a 'no straight lines' model :):) Covers a multitude of sins :):):)

Thanks a million for the feedback guys!

Hope tomorrow to get the last few points in the throat laid and this section of mainline from the throat to the lift out section laid, then move directly on to starting the same over the viaduct!

With a bit of luck, i should have powered track running over the viaduct by the middle of next week :)