Kilnevan, my Irish N gauge layout.

Rate this topic

moogle

Hi everyone,

thought I'd post some pictures of my N gauge layout, Kilnevan.

j11andbranchtrain.jpg

newbeginnings.jpg

Its the end of a branchline set in the late 1950's somewhere in the south west.

Currently devoid of a fiddle yard (behind the nameboard above) and needing some small track repairs/wiring.

behindthestation.jpg

e2shuntingyard.jpg

Standard Peco code 55 track is used as I'm good with scenery but rubbish with chassis, hence 9mm gauge not 10.5 (or 10.8 even!).

This means I can use all the British N gauge stuff that looks like it can be cannibalised. :D

Buildings are a mixture of adapted r-t-p, kit bashed and scratchbuilt, of which some are still not finished!

higginsgeneralstores.jpg

irishstonecirclesouthwesternstyle.jpg

itsmarketday.jpg

kilnevanfromfiddleyardend.jpg

The scenic portion of Kilnevan is 16" wide and 4' long, plus 2' for the fiddle yard.

kilnevanfromotherend.jpg

trafficcongestion.jpg

thestationbuilding.jpg

thesmallbridgebar.jpg

Loco's and rolling stock is either r-t-r suitably 'Irish-ised', Worsley works etches or Valvedesign.

I have also designed a GSR cattle wagon that I've 3D printed on Shapeways.

Uses a cut down Peco 9' chassis.

thehighstreet.jpg

thegoodsyard.jpg

stationcarpark.jpg

quaysideaction.jpg

I know there's probably too many road vehicles for the period but I felt that they helped to add life to the layout.

They are mainly by Oxford Diecast, suitably repainted if needed!

moreshunting.jpg

dioramainitsfinalplace.jpg

Although I haven't worked on it for over a year now due to other projects, I still tinker with bits and pieces for it.

One day I plan to extend the layout into a tail-chaser but haven't the room at the moment.

I hope you all enjoy my little bit of Ireland.

Oh and yes, Courtmacsherry was a big inspiration in case you're wondering!

I agree the description that jumps out of this layout is one of atmosphere; you have captured it in your scenic pictures, buildings and rolling stock. I love picture 13, the one showing the Village with the cattle being driven up the street. Well done.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

Especially from those of you who live/lived in Ireland as it means I'm getting something right! :tumbsup:

Fantastic Moggie great atmosphere and fair play for having a go at something as odd ball even by Irish standards as the steam era West Cork.

A few people have told me that its an oddball one to model and that more modern diesels will be easier to do.

But I like the area and prefer steam engines, preferably tanks, so I guess I'll keep modelling the oddball and obscure!

I never cease to be amazed at what turns up on this website.

"N" gauge layouts are usually, to a purist, something of a disappointment, as the scale is really too small for most types of model - even commercially made - to really look the part. This is rarely if ever a poor reflection on the modeller; just the reality of a very small scale.

As often, there is an exception to every rule, and this layout is certainly it. The badly weathered wagons, the corrugated steel roofed "soft-top", that uniquely and quintessentially Irish wagon, are but a few of the details that make this layout compelling viewing. More, please! There's more - the shrine, the Morris traveller, the West Cork style station, and the delightfully lazy-Sunday atmosphere of a country town in this period are just superb. The old wooden bodied carriages look great - how many layouts are let down by repainted BR Mk 1's? The goods stock of the day was invariably very weather worn, decrepit and often filthy. This detail is well captured by this model.

I can just see Pat Shortt or the Hardy Bucks staggering down the street out of the pub...! Does the train about to leave this terminus serve Killinascully?

Keep it coming! Excellent stuff, well done indeed.

Edited by jhb171achill

Loving an droicead beag! Many pints were had in there when I lived in Dingle!

I'm glad someone recognised it!

The Small Bridge Bar is the only building I based on a prototype.

Its made from Kestral kits and parts and was built at least 8 years before the layout!

Lovely job with great atmosphere. Not sure about that palm tree though, looks more at home in Hawaii than the west of Ireland variation you see!

The palm trees (there's 2 of them!) are the nearest type I could find that would grow on a coastline warmed by the gulf stream.

I know they're not correct but I don't know of anything better, hence their use. I may have to try to scratchbuild some that look the part!

I never cease to be amazed at what turns up on this website.

"N" gauge layouts are usually, to a purist, something of a disappointment, as the scale is really to small for most types of model - even commercially made - to really look the part. This is rarely if ever a poor reflection on the modeller; just the reality of a very small scale.

As often, there is an exception to every rule, and this layout is certainly it. The badly weathered wagons, the corrugated steel roofed "soft-top", that uniquely and quintessentially Irish wagon, are but a few of the details that make this layout compelling viewing. More, please! There's more - the shrine, the Morris traveller, the West Cork style station, and the delightfully lazy-Sunday atmosphere of a country town in this period are just superb. The old wooden bodied carriages look great - how many layouts are let down by repainted BR Mk 1's? The goods stock of the day was invariably very weather worn, decrepit and often filthy. This detail is well captured by this model.

I can just see Pat Shortt or the Hardy Bucks staggering down the street out of the pub...! Does the train about to leave this terminus serve Killinascully?

Keep it coming! Excellent stuff, well done indeed.

Thank you sir, that is a lovely comment. I must admit though that I do have a pair of repainted MK1's :SORRY:.

They were my 1st Irish coaches, when I knew no better! Only use them for track testing purposes now.

The six wheelers I have are the cleanest stock I possess. They need some light weathering and better couplings.

In fact I've been thinking of using one of the automatic coupling systems, probably MBM's as they use permanent magnets.

I do have a C class diesel in the throws of being detailed, so its not all steam. It will be finished in 'filthy aluminium' livery of course!

All of the wagons have the classic 'black chassis' mistake so need repainting, though some are so weathered I won't bother... =))

I really should get the fiddleyard rebuilt and the track/wiring fixed though as then I can play with, I mean operate the layout.

Then all I need is enough work to run a car and then Kilnevan can get out on the exhibition circuit as intended. Still, one thing at a time!

Best of luck with it, Moogle. I would love to see it at a show! A dirty "C" would indeed be a great addition also, and I forgot to also comment on how good the oul herd of cows looks!

A load of cattle trucks, no two alike and all filthy, would be good, and since you say its inspired by a certain popular west Cork location, beet could feature - maybe it does?

You can get sea sick with the waves at the loading of the boat just fantastic

Thank you. A good cure for sea sickness is to visit that big yellow building behind the station. :tumbsup::cheers:

Best of luck with it, Moogle. I would love to see it at a show! A dirty "C" would indeed be a great addition also, and I forgot to also comment on how good the oul herd of cows looks!

A load of cattle trucks, no two alike and all filthy, would be good, and since you say its inspired by a certain popular west Cork location, beet could feature - maybe it does?

Probably will have beet, I have no corrugated wagons at present which would suit it more for the period I think and cattle wagons will be a feature!

This is the cattle wagon I designed, assembled and in primer. Note to self, need grey primer!

paintedtop.jpg

And unassembled as it comes:

kitparts.jpg

It's not the only item on Kilnevan I've 3D printed, did the bilingual station signs too.

sb3.jpg

I just painted them dark green and dry brushed the lettering.

sb8.jpg

Found a few more pictures I'd taken.

This one shows the church face on and shows the unfinished roof up!

notwhatyouwantonyourweddingday.jpg

The station building is made up of Hornby Liddle End office building, waiting shelter, some old Graham Farish canopies, chimneys and canopy supports from the junk box and cotton bud middles for the chimney pots. So if thats not a 'bashed' building I don't know what is!

kilnevanstationbuilding.jpg

A close up of the bus. Mine is not a strict prototype, just a repaint!

arivalservice.jpg

The prototype, one of six built for Dublin Airport, had a slightly different cab, see pages 57 -58:

http://issuu.com/rivierabrian/docs/ftt-bbsept11_fullweb

And details under 1949 here:

http://www.skylineaviation.co.uk/buses/+CIE-45-50.html

When I get round to doing repairs, building more stock, finishing buildings etc I'll post more pictures.

Thank you. It took me a long time, a lot of trial and error but I'm pleased with how they turned out.

It's actually the GSR one from drawings in Patrick O'Sullivans book of the Farranfore and Valentia Harbour railway, vol 2.

It is very similar in design to others built earlier, CB&SCR springs to mind.

One day I might get round to drawing up the slightly larger CIE version!

• 1 month later...

Still nothing more done to Kilnevan, but I have made one decision.

It needs a petrol station behind the fuel depot!

dioramainitsfinalplace.jpg"]dioramainitsfinalplace.jpg[/url]

There's just enough space for a pair of pumps and maybe a small office I reckon.

Office will probably be at the end of the fence by the wagon in the above photo.

crossing.jpg"]crossing.jpg[/url]

Pumps will probably be against the fence on the left here in a sort of lay by!

It won't be huge I grant you, but I think its one thing that is missing that I've overlooked.

As to when it gets done though is anybody's guess! =))

• 1 year later...

After a long time not doing any modelling, moving and various other things I've finally started some work on the layout again.

Been adding some stone walling around the railway.

wallN4_zps80a9c481.jpg

wallN3_zps44eaaa4c.jpg

Need a lot of work still. A mixture of Liddle End and Jarvis if I remember rightly.

Finish some with entry gate and flower beds.

wallN2_zps7688c7b3.jpg

wallN1_zpse58e157e.jpg

Not started on the petrol station. I am looking at what pumps would suit it first, so more research!

Apologies for the poor photos. Camera is still packed away in one of the many boxes from moving!

• 1 year later...

I'm back and over the last few months I've done some work on Kilnevan for the 1st time in over a year!

Yes, I've finally extended the layout into a tailchaser, just like I've wanted to do for the last few years.

The layout now measures 6' 4” x 2' 7”, so not much longer than it was, but a fair bit wider.

IMG_20160209_180531_zps6wtlx3cp.jpg

IMG_20160209_185435_zpsnavv7tpd.jpg

The original backscene has been cut back slightly and a new curved one added to it.

This is card covered in canvas with wooden supports at the rear.

IMG_20160210_234853213_zpsnixyztlp.jpg

IMG_20160210_234918246_zpsjzmysbf7.jpg

The track in the pictures isn't fixed down yet as the curve is an old length of code 80 and I'll be using code 55.

I have most of the points needed, but it will be a while before I get the rest of the points and track thats needed.

IMG_20160214_024054853_zpsiwdg7eqc.jpg

IMG_20160214_024145057_zpspxerjokk.jpg

Meanwhile I can at least work on some of the scenery.

Made a start on some polystyrene formers for the only hill on the layout which will have a road curving up one side of it in order to cross over the railway where the scenic break will be.

Need to find a suitable Cork area prototype bridge to model!

IMG_20160216_005102_zpsb4oqwd7a.jpg

IMG_20160217_220323_zpssnqpv14q.jpg

There will be a ruined fortified house on the hill.

Edited by moogle

For the fortified house ruins I used materials at hand: corrugated card...

IMG_20160221_210248_zpstwfkdebr.jpg

IMG_20160221_210221_zpszm6vdddw.jpg

IMG_20160221_210204_zpsjuhaawbq.jpg

Walls have been covered on plaster and clay. A little warping occurred but nothing drastic.

Not that it matters as its a ruin so perfection isn't needed!

IMG_20160223_222836733_zps4vpwn1mz.jpg

IMG_20160223_222858233_zps49bzbek7.jpg

IMG_20160223_222924986_zps7qjy1are.jpg

Lots to do still. Stonework to scribe, musket loops to add, holes where floor joists were etc...

The backscene has a coat of blue on it to aid sanding out any bumps where I had to infill some dents with modelling paste.

When sanded they'll show up as white, then I can paint the backscene properly!

The inspiration for these ruins, architectural wise, came from here

Edited by moogle

Done some more work, filled in window edges, added joist holes, musket loops, stonework, oh and a bit of painting.

IMG_20160226_225101220_zpsyndg23g2.jpg

IMG_20160226_225113909_zpspwulgqpc.jpg

IMG_20160226_225128566_zpsscvftpcw.jpg

Added some battlements/defences and mullioned window remains...

IMG_20160302_224412504_zpscljdubey.jpg

IMG_20160303_233351179_zpsky6lx55j.jpg

IMG_20160303_233409947_zps2psqm77r.jpg

IMG_20160305_234915712_zpsyakbgz8r.jpg

IMG_20160305_234921612_zpsemoxs4c8.jpg

IMG_20160305_234905991_zpsywtzvm2e.jpg

IMG_20160305_235000942_zpsgzw0buzc.jpg

IMG_20160305_234945982_zps9farjkid.jpg

All I need now is to add ivy. Hence why I haven't scribed stonework all over it!

Added some ivy.

Began with adding some polyfibre with pva glue.

IMG_20160310_033123076_zpsdnpe4upb.jpg

IMG_20160310_033105277_zpscswwtkwb.jpg

Once the glue had dried I added some medium coarse medium green flock using a slightly watered down pva.

IMG_20160325_201002_zpssfbuezin.jpg

IMG_20160325_201047_zps8yxkexg4.jpg

IMG_20160325_201026_zpsqfzt6ttp.jpg

IMG_20160325_201128_zpspm1bxnip.jpg

I think the ivy has enough 'bulk' without being too much.

May dry brush a few green highlights onto the ivy, not sure yet.

Painted the backscene and made a start on planting the ruins!

IMG_20160430_170309_zpsxanrg8wx.jpg

IMG_20160430_165442622_zpsdzgfr4ie.jpg

Used acrylics as I prefer them for landscape painting. I think the backscene join has blended well:

IMG_20160430_165519451_zpsfie4uwep.jpg

Planted the ruins doing some landscaping while I went.

IMG_20160430_180315_zpsryyacb3r.jpg

IMG_20160430_180128490_zps3wdcbovk.jpg

IMG_20160430_180200157_zps2x8dmyhq.jpg

IMG_20160430_180419_zps3aewqltj.jpg

IMG_20160430_180153940_zpsukevp5uw.jpg

Still got the rocks and boulders to paint.

Then the road, a bridge to build, cutting sides to model...

Hold on, need to buy some track first! Next update may be some time...

Marc

Glad to see Kilnevan has been enlarged and improved. having trains coming and going will be a great bonus and a good reward for all your hard work. The ruined house looks fantastic. I have seen one or two with as much ivy and/or other shrubbery growing out of them.

I am intrigued that your are staring an A Class. Can I ask what you will be using as a donor? I could not see any locomotives that are a close match in terms of length.

MikeO