Modelling the Bord na Mona

Rate this topic

Aussie Phil

• 3 weeks later...

The first of six railset BnM wagons being built from modified kits.

A heavily kitbashed KB scale models kit. The sides have had styrene channel added to them and the inside sill trimmed. The wheel set has been lowered and the bolsters replaced with closer representatives in white metal that I cast. The model was then sprayed gun metal grey before being weathered.

I also have a KB scale loco deutz kit to start and am in the process of scratchbuilding a ruston.

Hope ya like and will keep the thread updated with some tree photos as I complete my first oaks. Will also post a how to kind photo bit for building these little gems.

Phil

IMG_7514-2.jpg

IMG_7515-2.jpg

IMG_7519-2.jpg

IMG_7520-2.jpg

IMG_7521-2.jpg

• Like 1

That's them. There are two different types one squared off and one curved. I have another five to build and the last one will be built with rotating bolsters so hopefully can take a load of rail and not derail. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the kind words. Have started to build the deutz kit from KB scale models. Bit of an adventure as haven't ever built brass kit before... Or kit built a loco. Only ever scratch built in styrene and used mechs off old locos or black beetles. So far I'm rather chuffed with myself as although learning curve has been steep it has not defeated me. :)

Thank you for letting us in on all this - and what are you doing up at this time of the night?

Retiring to bed now after drinks in New Zealand on a weekend away. So no modelling unfortunately but some really good pubs were visited... Even sore a couple of great Irish comedians to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Have started the hills that will lead up to the road bridge on the left end of the layout. Plaster down and have started to detail the old oak tree. The loco has stalled with life taking precident for a little while but will get back to it soon.

The scenery is a mixture of foam from some electronics purchased. Shaped by breaking it up and covered with wet newspaper / wood glue. Then a layer of plaster and when its dry it will be painted then scenery will be added. Old school technique but so effective.

Have also built a couple of power poles. They are basla wood shaped poles, reinforced with wire through the centre and then weathered before painted white metal castings are applied for the final touches.

Thanks and hope you like.

Phil

IMG_8196.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8204.jpg

IMG_8205.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg