New RTR model ideas / thoughts

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

I don't see MM producing an A class anytime soon

Silverfox's one, although not perfect seems to fill the gap

Rumours of a proper one around at the moment, but it is still in its infancy, has not left the drawing board yet.

Possibly some more Mk 2's during the year and maybe towards the end of '14 a 121?

I don't see MM producing an A class anytime soon Silverfox's one' date=' although not perfect seems to fill the gap Rumours of a proper one around at the moment, but it is still in its infancy, has not left the drawing board yet. Possibly some more Mk 2's during the year and maybe towards the end of '14 a 121?[/quote']

I'd be dubious of a 121 by the end of the next year. There are still a lot of murphy models locos kicking about, especially the 201s, and until they get sold, there's no chance of a 121 coming out I don't think.

I'd be dubious of a 121 by the end of the next year. There are still a lot of murphy models locos kicking about, especially the 201s, and until they get sold, there's no chance of a 121 coming out I don't think.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wrenn's prediction was close to the mark. :)

There are still 201s yet to be released. 209 in NIR blue and 230 in half face Enterprise. There is no full face Enterprise announced, 207 or 233.

I wonder will 230 be changed to 206 given 230 is now with a good chance of being withdrawn. Sure nothing 10 mins and some Railtec transfers wont sort :)

For a long time Ssm J26, Maeve, Bandon tank and J15 have been on my radar problem is me and brass don t get on, I ve tried 2 brass kits one was a disaster and the other is barely presentable. I do intend to rebuild a few rtr br locos with plasticard but I ve a load of jobs on the bench before I have a go at a steamer.

The one great advantage of working in metal over plastic is that you can nearly always rescue a model if you make a complete mess of the first build. I have a 30 year old J26 & a 27 year old J15 still going strong still on their original gears, wheels and motors. I made complete mess of the original build of the J15 and re-built both locos in the mid 1990s.

Kit design has come a long way in 30 years more recent designs like the SG2, Bredin Coaches and no doubt 800 & the Bandon Tank use a lot more bolt together modular construction.

After trying the steamers I found the Craftsman BR 02 & 07 diesels a good starting point, todays Judith Edge diesel shunters have a reputation of being easy to build, the RH 165DS s just right for Tuam Sugar Factory and seems to have spent most of her life in BR Blue.

Maybe an overseas manufacturer like Heljan might enter the market and produce one of the types not tackled by PM yet. They would be guaranteed sales as no other model would exist and I would hazard a guess that PM's success with his Irish models has not gone unnoticed. The numbers involved would be well within Heljan's remit for limited edition models. I do not think that PM is waiting for every last 201 or 071 to be sold before he commits to a 121. No matter how much you like or want them there is only so many models you can buy. If another model were available i.e. the 121 or "A" class it would be bought to complement existing models. Anyway I'd say we could see another model sooner than people think and not necessarily from the PM stable.

Edited by spudfan
error

Maybe an overseas manufacturer like Heljan might enter the market and produce one of the types not tackled by PM yet. They would be guaranteed sales as no other model would exist and I would hazard a guess that PM's success with his Irish models has not gone unnoticed. The numbers involved would be well within Heljan's remit for limited edition models. I do not think that PM is waiting for every last 201 or 071 to be sold before he commits to a 121. No matter how much you like or want them there is only so many models you can buy. If another model were available i.e. the 121 or "A" class it would be bought to complement existing models. Anyway I'd say we could see another model sooner than people think and not necessarily from the PM stable.

Heljan made a fine model of the UK class 28 Metropolitan Vickers. They were commissioned by Hattons.

Speaking of shops commissioning manufactures to produce models, whatever happened to the Autoballasters? If they would sell the standard unit on it's own I'd buy about 4 of them. The BR Railtrack versions sell for about €50 on their own. I know the autoballaster twin pack may not have sold well but modelers don't want to be left with a load of left over genny units. I'm going to get a second twin pack myself shortly and would lover some more standards to run behind a grey 071.

I think lots of modelers would echo that but the economics have to work I guess. Even a twin pack of standards would likely sell very well.

But what I don't get is that they are selling the UK versions single packs at the exact same price point. They are selling them for €50 each and we are paying €110 for the IE twin pack. If the shops here split the twin pack into singles and sold them for €55 each then happy days. I don't see why that can't happen. I can see alot of genny units being left over but better than aload of twin packs sitting in shops that modelers half want but not willing to pay for what they are not going to use.

Edited by Railer